Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 2:25pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Something new to chew over. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Something new to chew over.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Something new to chew over.  (Read 1496 times)
freddieboy

Juan Sheet does Plenty!

View Profile Email

Something new to chew over.
« on: Feb 22nd, 2009, 7:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Good Morning Campers,
Going off on a tangent here, but this thread concerns home burned CD`s playing on a 7000 player with boot mounted loader.
Yesterday I burned off three discs.  Two were standard 12 track album copies, and one was a collection of 120 assorted tracks from my collection.
All were recorded on Nero Express in MP3 format.
The first two played properly, but the third wouldnt play at all.  From this I deduced that the player will only play CD`s with a certain number of tracks.
Does anyone know the average amount of tracks this player will recognise?
I must admit that I didnt expect any result at all taking into consideration the age of the 7000 unit and changer, coupled with the MP3 recording format, but the results on the first two CD`s was as good as a shop bought album.
Prior to testing in the car, I played them on my Bose system indoors, and they were perfect.
I just thought some of you Scorpio audio buffs might have come across a similar problem.
Anyway it makes a change from wobbly wheels and wet batteries and dodgy remotes Grin  cheers Fred.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: Something new to chew over.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22nd, 2009, 8:01am »

Burning CD's is fraught with complications. I found that MY cd player in the Scorpio was exactly the same would accept some and not others. MOST of the problems were cured for me, by burning at a much slower speed .  

I think it is something to do with the power of the laser on the earlier players. It might be getting weaker with age , bit like me !!!! Wink perhaps a clean might help .
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
bizzay1

1997 Cosworth Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Feb 22nd, 2009, 8:43am »

am I reading that correctly, the cd player in the scorp will play mp3s ??
IP Logged
freddieboy

Juan Sheet does Plenty!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 22nd, 2009, 9:58am »

Mine Does.
IP Logged
rich1

london cabbies have the knowledge!!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Feb 22nd, 2009, 8:47pm »

ive always found my cd player plays proper cds no problem , but forever having problems with burnt cds (ive given up even trying now)
anyway with the state of the roads in this country they jump about like made when you go over the slightest bump in the road . i only use mine on motorways  
scorpio doing 100 rod stewart blaring out .......heaven Grin

i meant 70  Wink
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Feb 23rd, 2009, 1:43am »

I've got the opposite problem to Rich1.....mine plays burnt CDs fine but seems to have trouble playing proper CDs in that they keep jamming/skipping  Huh.....also my changer seems to have a problem with re-writable CDs in that it takes it in but won't play it & then won't even eject it...had to take the changer apart to get the last one out  Roll Eyes

Didn't know that the changer could play mp3s though....must try it  Wink
IP Logged
bizzay1

1997 Cosworth Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Feb 23rd, 2009, 7:31am »

I tried a disc full of mp3s in mine yesterday, it seemed to see it ok but although the timer was counting up all I got was a hissing from the speakers  Undecided
IP Logged
big_timer

2.3 manual ultima saloon

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Feb 23rd, 2009, 9:24am »

i think the maximum amount of info you can put onto a disc is about 74-78 mins worth of music.anymore you start to compress (say 104mins onto 74-78 mins worth).i use nero and havent had a failure yet.there is a scale at the bottom of the burning screen to tell you how much info you have on the disc,keep it in the green and you should have no probs.
atb
IP Logged

how can i soar with the eagles?
st.eve

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 23rd, 2009, 10:17am »

Hi Freddieboy,  

The first 2 CD's you coppied (if standard CD's) would have been in cda (CD Audio) format which is what the 7000 is capable of playing. I'd be very surprised if the changer would recognise anything in mp3 format.

I don't think there is a limit to the number of tracks the 7000 will recognise, I believe this is determined by the amount of data you can physically get on the CD.
IP Logged
freddieboy

Juan Sheet does Plenty!

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 25th, 2009, 3:11am »

on Feb 23rd, 2009, 7:31am, bizzay1 wrote:
I tried a disc full of mp3s in mine yesterday, it seemed to see it ok but although the timer was counting up all I got was a hissing from the speakers  Undecided

Exactly my problem,bizzay
IP Logged
freddieboy

Juan Sheet does Plenty!

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 25th, 2009, 3:24am »

on Feb 23rd, 2009, 9:24am, big_timer wrote:
i think the maximum amount of info you can put onto a disc is about 74-78 mins worth of music.anymore you start to compress (say 104mins onto 74-78 mins worth).i use nero and havent had a failure yet.there is a scale at the bottom of the burning screen to tell you how much info you have on the disc,keep it in the green and you should have no probs.
atb

For the experiment I had approx. 130 tracks on the disc which would equate to about 280 to 300 minutes real time.  I also used Nero Express, but the "space left" indicator at the bottom was only showing 50% used.   To be honest I didnt expect the old 7000 unit to play any home burn CD`s so to know that it does is a bonus.  I will reduce the content to about 30 tracks next time and see how that goes.   cheers fred
IP Logged
freddieboy

Juan Sheet does Plenty!

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 25th, 2009, 3:27am »

[quote author=sh0146 link=board=Advice;num=1235286787;start=0#8 date=02/23/09 at 10:17:04]Hi Freddieboy,  

The first 2 CD's you coppied (if standard CD's) would have been in cda (CD Audio) format which is what the 7000 is capable of playing. I'd be very surprised if the changer would recognise anything in mp3 format.

I don't think there is a limit to the number of tracks the 7000 will recognise, I believe this is determined by the amount of data you can physically get on the CD.[/quote

You`re probably right.  cheers fred
IP Logged
freddieboy

Juan Sheet does Plenty!

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 25th, 2009, 3:36am »

Thanks once again for all your helpful comments.   This thread was only started as a small diversion from the more serious aspects of Scorpio ownership, but it has been very informative.
We`ve probably taken it as far as it will go, so back to more real motoring problems.  Thanks again folks.  cheers Fred.
IP Logged
bizzay1

1997 Cosworth Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Feb 25th, 2009, 7:38am »

on Feb 25th, 2009, 3:24am, freddieboy wrote:

I will reduce the content to about 30 tracks next time and see how that goes.   cheers fred

please keep us informed how this experiment develops, and how many tracks you get to on a disc with the player playing it ok
IP Logged
freddieboy

Juan Sheet does Plenty!

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 26th, 2009, 12:00am »

Will do Bizz.
IP Logged
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Feb 26th, 2009, 8:39am »

The Scorpio CD changer will NOT play MP3's (or AAC, Ogg Vorbis, WMP etc).

It will only play discs burnt as auio discs - otherwise correctly known as CDA.

When you "copied" your existing 12 track CD's, it just made a copy and burnt the discs as audio discs in CDA format.

The next disc you burnt wasn't an audio disc, it was simply a data disc that had MP3 files on it (it could have been anything - pictures, movies etc).  The CD changer in the Scorp doesn't have the necessary hardware to even recognise the file structure, let alone decode the MP3's.

With Nero you CAN burn a disc which converts the MP3 files to the correct audio format (CDA) - I think the option at the beginning is "burn an audio disc" or something.  You then drag your MP3 files to the disc as per normal BUT the software will then convert the files to the correct format before burning.  You'll notice the "how full" bar at the bottom will now be in minutes rather than megabytes (which would show if you were burning a data disc - i.e. MP3's straight to disc without conversion).

Quote:
mine does

No it doesn't, unless you have an aftermarket changer - it plays CDA tracks from a "music" CD that has previously been converted from MP3's by a software re-encoder (Nero I'm Guessing).

Hope that explains things a little better.
IP Logged
freddieboy

Juan Sheet does Plenty!

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Feb 26th, 2009, 12:37pm »

Yes ,youre probably right.
Although all the audio files came from the same scource, I may have burned them in the wrong format. I stand corrected.  Many thanks for your comments.  Fred w
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.