Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 4:14pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Cabin heater loom passthrough »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Cabin heater loom passthrough
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cabin heater loom passthrough  (Read 1598 times)
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

Cabin heater loom passthrough
« on: Mar 2nd, 2009, 4:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

It's probably not a standard procedure in UK, but I'm installing a block heater with a cabin heater power outlet. It's easy to do - once you know the place through which you can install the wiring harness (going into the cabin. I took a look at the wall under the hood, it looked pretty tight. I might need to make a 27mm hole for the wiring harness, unless they have thought of it in the factory and have a ready made (capped) hole to stick the harness into the cabin.  

Does anyone know of such a "weak" spot, and where it might be located? If not, what would be a safe place to create the hole, i.e. an accessible place with little risk of destroying anything? It's a 24V, so it can't be too close to the cat. I'd have to do the install without a lift.

Thanks for any advice!
IP Logged
mijfife

View Profile Email

Re: Cabin heater loom passthrough
« Reply #1 on: Mar 2nd, 2009, 4:51pm »

There's a grommet that might be just what you are looking for on the bulkhead between the battery and the heater unit. This was missing on my TD and let one hell of a draft into the cabin   Roll Eyes On the spares car, this was used for the loom for the heated windscreen to pass through but it's quite thin so might managed to accommodate the other loom you mention.

Cheers Jim
IP Logged

'96 2.5TD Ultima estate running on veg oil!
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Mar 2nd, 2009, 6:13pm »

on Mar 2nd, 2009, 4:51pm, mijfife wrote:
There's a grommet that might be just what you are looking for on the bulkhead between the battery and the heater unit. This was missing on my TD and let one hell of a draft into the cabin   ::) On the spares car, this was used for the loom for the heated windscreen to pass through but it's quite thin so might managed to accommodate the other loom you mention.

Cheers Jim

Thanks, I checked, but unsure if I found it or not. You mean between the battery and the heater blower control? Or close to the heater matrix? I found a 40mm white cap just behind the main fusebox, does this one lead into the cabin? There is one on the other side as well. Both are on the "far ends".

The darn 24V is awfully crowded, not sure whether drilling is even possible.

The minimum width is 23mm (width of the female plug), the loom itself is almost identical to a shower hose (metal enforced). The 27mm hole is needed for the rubber seal, if a new hole is made in the firewall.

Below is a picture from the driver's side (RHD), the cap and it's relative position is the same on the other side.

IP Logged
SnowyScorpio

Scorpio 2,3L Hgv 1997

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: Mar 3rd, 2009, 5:23pm »

Hi there tlundkvi.

I just wanna give u a tip if you want to mount the cabin heater permanently. I mounted my heater on the plastic outer wall of the passenger fotwell. I just placed the mounting bracket, marked the holes, drilled holes in the plastic and "popnitade" the plate. I wish i hade somewere to upload the pictures to....  

//Snowy

IP Logged

Scorpio 2,3L Hgv 1997
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 4th, 2009, 8:06am »

Sign up for Photobucket and host them on there ... Its a FREE site .... Or on the multiply site that Scopio-Man runs ..... there are lots of options .. Even as a last resort try your own ISP.

If you do Please make sure the pictures are NO bigger than 640x480 which is an ideal size for the forum .....

TIA  
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 4th, 2009, 9:36am »

Just found out I need to make a hole, the place I pointed out does not have a path downwards.

I was thinking somewhere besides where the heater matrix piper are, a few cm right. I suppose, besides insulation, and triple checking the other (engine comp side that is) side for wires and hoses, there should not be any looms going in the insulation?
IP Logged
SnowyScorpio

Scorpio 2,3L Hgv 1997

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: Mar 4th, 2009, 7:20pm »

Okej, now its done.

When my cabin heater was mouted and ready it looked like this..

Noticed today that the mec that did the wiring for the cabin heater and engine heater did a poor jobb. The wires were loose in the enginecompartment, wearing againts all sorts of cables and hoses, but it´s fixed now with some stripes and elbowgrease.

//Snowy
IP Logged

Scorpio 2,3L Hgv 1997
SnowyScorpio

Scorpio 2,3L Hgv 1997

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: Mar 25th, 2009, 8:59pm »

A little update...  

Moved the DEFA connector and mounted it through the front bumper instead. Mutch better than what the mecs at the garage had done.

Before.

And after..

//Snowy
IP Logged

Scorpio 2,3L Hgv 1997
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.