Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 3:33am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« When To Stop »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   When To Stop
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: When To Stop  (Read 583 times)
Kenboy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

When To Stop
« on: Mar 3rd, 2009, 7:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Your views please.

I have owned my car for nigh on six  years and with your help have managed to keep costs of running it down to a minimum to which I will always be grateful but now I am wondering, is my heart begining to rule my head I have just had the boot repaired and resprayed at a cost of 200 but I know that very shortly the sills and wheel arches will have to be replaced, the quote I have been given which includes parts is hovering between 800 to 1000 pounds If I do not get this done I think it will still get through the mot's in the coming two to three years but I do like to have the cars appearance looking spot on I have in the past had many compliments paid to me on its condition.

All things being equal, what would you do and what are your views on the Repair Quote   (2.3 1997 Ghia Diamond white saloon)

Kenboy
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

Re: When To Stop
« Reply #1 on: Mar 3rd, 2009, 9:31pm »

Do you think you could replace it for £1000?? Wink

Look for a better quote, are the arches and sills bad?
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Mar 4th, 2009, 1:10am »

These cars aren't new anymore, so they do tend to suffer from rusting wheel arches & sills......& being the owner you tend to notice it more than anyone else  Wink

Next time you're in the local supermarket car park etc, take a close look at cars of similar age, especially Fords, & see how bad they really are......I think you'll be surprised at how much rust & paint bubbling other cars of the same age & newer have  Smiley
IP Logged
mikeart

I know NUFINK honest guv !

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: Mar 4th, 2009, 7:55am »

I know how you feel, i just love my Scorp despite the constant nigggles, if i could find one that is brand new and has been garaged from new and hardly used i would be a happy bunny  Grin
IP Logged

This life ?
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 4th, 2009, 7:59am »

Kenboy. We all face this quandary but as JC says 'What do you replace it with?'. Just a point on the 'sill issue'. The MOT looks at 'severe corrosion' within 30cms of specific items, ie: brakes,steering, suspension and seat belt anchorages. See Here under 'general vehicle condition'. This was mentioned to me as I have an area of rust on the sill just below the central door pillar.  Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Waglet

Aubergine 24V

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 4th, 2009, 9:02pm »

At least yours are running guys! Mine sits on the drive dead as a dead thing! Waiting for Independent Ford Man to return from a skiing trip! I ask yer! Can't wait to get behind the wheel again....but reading the link re wiring from EDIS to ECU etc. it could be expensive!
IP Logged

Waglet
Kenboy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Mar 5th, 2009, 12:34pm »

Hi Thanks for your input and yes I managed to shop around and got a quote for 450 Pounds and I have booked it in for the easter holidays ( I drive a school bus during term time) I have to say the quote is less wheel arch replacement but includes both rear quarter panel resprays,  at the same I have booked a couple of appointments for some Cognetive Therapy  which My wife said she will be only to happy to pay for.

Thanks Guys  Kenboy
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 5th, 2009, 8:08pm »

Kenboy.
Obviously the missus needs some as well,offering to pay indeed,a little understanding could save her a fortune  Grin
        GOZZ.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.