Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 7th, 2024, 6:26pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Lack of Power »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Lack of Power
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Lack of Power  (Read 1263 times)
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Lack of Power
« on: May 18th, 2009, 3:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

If I let my Scorp go and get another car it will be for the simple reason that the power has dropped so much over the last few years that overtaking tractors is now dangerous without a half mile stretch of open road ahead. Everything seems fine otherwise. Starts well, high speed cruising is obtainable but it seems to take years to get there whereas when I first got the car in 2004 it went like a rocket. I am having to press the throttle much more these days to get the acceleration I once had before and all that happens is it changes down a lot more often to give me the required torque. It used to accelerate in top gear quite well without changing down so much. Just wished someone on the forum lived close by who has one of these scanner kit jobbies in the hope it would give me a clue where to start in checking things. Maybe like me its just fed up!
IP Logged
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: Lack of Power
« Reply #1 on: May 18th, 2009, 3:58pm »

First things first:-

It'd be quite hgelpul if you told us the engine model Smiley

1:  When were the plugs, leads and fuel filter changed?
2:  When was the last time some injector cleaner was chucked in the tank?
3:  Is the throttle cable stretched?  Does it sit much lower than the brake pedal?  The cable can be adjusted.
4:  Have you checked for vacumn leaks?  Spray easistart at the manifold and hose connectors one by one - if the revs rise when you do so, you've found an inlet leak.  Just don't spray it on a red hot exhaust manifold!
IP Logged
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 18th, 2009, 6:30pm »

Hi, quite right, sorry its 2.0l Ultima DOHC 1995.
1. Plugs and coil packs changed about 20K miles back with no improvement to the power problem (except it solved the misfiring problem at the time). Fuel filter! Forgot all about that! Never been changed.....excellent....something to try and directly relates to the symptoms, thanks for reminding me.
2. Injectors were removed at the same time and manually cleaned with no improvement (but I admit I could put some stuff in the tank).
3. Throttle cable play is very minimal.
4. Have checked for vacuum leaks and not found anything wrong.
IP Logged
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: May 18th, 2009, 7:06pm »

have a garage do a compression test of the cylinders, might have a piston ring at fault or a cracked head,  

blocked/ breaking down cat can restrict power also

what does the autobox oil look like? red/light brown ok but dark brown or black then the auto box is duff
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 18th, 2009, 11:28pm »

on May 18th, 2009, 6:30pm, mindofitsown wrote:
3. Throttle cable play is very minimal.

Have you checked the throttle opens fully?
Carpet under the pedal is a common problem Wink
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Bikerdon

2.0 Ultima saloon, Norton 500, Suzuki 550.

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: May 19th, 2009, 1:22am »

Hi, I had the same problem with my 2.0 since the day I bought it over three years ago, I had resigned myself to the idea that it was just a small engine in a heavy car issue, but it just seemed too slow even for that, tried coils, new plugs, air and fuel filters, all to no avail, and it was reluctant to rev over 4k rpm. It was scanned by scorpio_man and everything pretty much checked out as ok. Anyway as it was better weather last week I finally got round to replacing the cat, and believe me it took a bit of persuasion to get the old one off (car still has the original one piece exhaust on it) as all the brackets and clamps were rusted solid, trusty angle grinder to the rescue there. Well its now like driving a different car, it revs freely to the red line in sports mode and you can feel the extra oomph as the vis opens after 3k rpm too, the performance difference really is like night and day, oddly enough it passed the emissions every year even though the old cat honeycomb was badly eroded and twisted at an angle in the housing. So if all else fails to solve your problem I would change the cat or at least get it off to have a look inside it. Bikerdon.
IP Logged

My other car's a bike!
Chris_Basel

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: May 19th, 2009, 12:55pm »

My 2.0L 16v is much the same. It pulls away like it is towing a bus, but goes better from about 60mph. On engine start up you get a whiff of exhaust fumes in the car unless you turn the fan off, so I'd put it down to maybe a cracked exhaust manifold. I never thought of the cat.

To mindofitsown, if you do change the cat can you post the results back to this thread please.

IP Logged
Bikerdon

2.0 Ultima saloon, Norton 500, Suzuki 550.

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: May 19th, 2009, 2:17pm »

Chris_Basel. It might be an idea for you to check the piping for the EGR system, if it isnt sealed at the various joints that can cause the exhaust fume issue you mentioned. It's the equivalent of a small exhaust leak really, also worth checking that the manifold to cat nuts are tight, (two of mine were loose enough to undo with fingers) mine was blowing slightly there but you couldnt really hear it because of the heat shields. Bikerdon.
IP Logged

My other car's a bike!
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: May 19th, 2009, 3:24pm »

Sounds like theres something wrong right enough,  
I've never tried it but I always reckoned the 2.0 16v was the fastest Scorpio off the mark, even compared to the 24v
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Chris_Basel

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: May 19th, 2009, 4:11pm »

I suspected something was seriously wrong when I couldn't keep up with my mate's wife in her new Panda 4x4 Cry

It sounds like I'll have to get the manifold heat shield off and have a look. Actually I'd forgotten about that little problem because the fan stopped working shortly after the air conditioning pulley fell to pieces. The mission now is to get everything working properly again.
IP Logged
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: May 19th, 2009, 5:36pm »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like the cat. I admit I did have a rattle from around the exhaust manifold area some months ago but it has not rattled for weeks now so didnt do anything about it. I'm rushing to go away to work just now so will give a fuller account on my return Friday. In the mean time many thanks.
IP Logged
pinto

TD04 on a galaxy manifold ? whooooooosh !

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: May 19th, 2009, 10:20pm »

Cat makes a HUGE difference - when the RHS cat on my cossie broke up, it completely gutted the car - wouldnt rev, kick down on full throttle took 30 or more seconds to change up....car struggled to go over 50 or pull up hills !

and thats a 220bhp cossie !

Could be the best £80 you've spent on the old girl Smiley
IP Logged
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: May 22nd, 2009, 2:53pm »

Back from working away. Did a 220 mile round trip and noticed that the fuel economy is as it should be when on the motorway but, the economy around town is the worst its ever been. This additional symptom seems to tie-up with the broken cat blockage theory as round town its a case of accelerating through the gears only to have to stop again at lights etc and then accelerate again.
So, where's the best place to get a CAT?
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: May 22nd, 2009, 2:56pm »

Ceramic  

http://www.cats-direct-shop.co.uk/two-year-catalytic-converter.php?recor dID=779

Steel

http://www.cats-direct-shop.co.uk/three-year-catalytic-converter.php?rec ordID=779

might be worth taking it off and checking first.

clear out the innards of it and try it, at least until you go for the next MOT Wink
IP Logged

mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: May 22nd, 2009, 3:26pm »

Thanks Highlander, a good idea. Sorry to be a pain but how is that done without creating a hole?
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: May 22nd, 2009, 3:32pm »

when you take it off you can poke down through the gauze stuff and remove all the insides
IP Logged

scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: May 22nd, 2009, 3:58pm »

Agree

best to check it is the cat first.

you can check the cat on the 2.0 using obd-2 scans.

do you know someone with it or can get to one of the meetings?

also, if you take out the front lambda and tie it up safely, try the car then. if there's improvement, again points to the cat/exhaust.

hth
IP Logged
Ewing1

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: May 29th, 2009, 8:27pm »

Hi all
I´m new here. As far as I can see from this thread I seem to have the same problem with my scorpio 2.0 dohc estate. A beautiful car which is also has a very slow acceleration. It runs perfectly from around 2200 rpm and up. I will mention the cat thing to the garage that I use. Hopefully they will be able to fix it.  

thanks for a great forum
best regards
Lars

on May 18th, 2009, 3:49pm, mindofitsown wrote:
If I let my Scorp go and get another car it will be for the simple reason that the power has dropped so much over the last few years that overtaking tractors is now dangerous without a half mile stretch of open road ahead. Everything seems fine otherwise. Starts well, high speed cruising is obtainable but it seems to take years to get there whereas when I first got the car in 2004 it went like a rocket. I am having to press the throttle much more these days to get the acceleration I once had before and all that happens is it changes down a lot more often to give me the required torque. It used to accelerate in top gear quite well without changing down so much. Just wished someone on the forum lived close by who has one of these scanner kit jobbies in the hope it would give me a clue where to start in checking things. Maybe like me its just fed up!

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.