Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 7th, 2024, 8:29am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Drivers Side Fuse Box »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Drivers Side Fuse Box
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Drivers Side Fuse Box  (Read 2207 times)
twarwick

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Drivers Side Fuse Box
« on: May 27th, 2009, 12:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

This is a great website and resource for Scorpio owners but I cannot seem to find an answer to my question: how do you remove the external drivers side fuse box?

The story so far: Several months ago I bought a 1998 Automatic/25.TD Ford Scorpio from eBay - the bodywork was a bit scruffy but it worked perfectly. A couple of weekends ago I (now know) foolishly decided to pressure wash the car. It started the next day and got me from A to B but was not prepared to take me from B to A. I could not start it and the AA diagnosed problems with the drivers fuse box and recommended employing an Auto electrician - but at least he got it started and I made it home (A). The next day I tried to start the car and everything was dead, no lights, nothing. In these credit crunch times I need to try and repair it myself but have found my first challenge is to remove the fuse box so that I can attempt to repair it or at least replace it with another. In a desperate attempt to remedy the situation I used a powerful hairdryer for some time, and recharged the battery. Anyway, I would welcome any advice and information from other Scorpio owners about this problem.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Terry
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re: Drivers Side Fuse Box
« Reply #1 on: May 27th, 2009, 12:10pm »

Hi

Click on bottom picture of this link:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/fusebox.htm

4 bolts hold it accessed from inside the car, you have to reach up from the footwell to get at them , they may have felt secured over them.

Check the multiplug shown in the first picture – plenty of owners & AA men don’t get this back right causing problems with lights etc.

Dave
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 27th, 2009, 2:38pm »

Have a look at THIS and check out the earlier TD by clicking on the 'button' on the left of the page as that has a diagram of the connectors. A likely cause is that water has got into one of the large connectors and if you open them up and check/dry them it may save a fusebox job.  Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
tonyboy

black2.924Vcoss ( No More )

Tony+Redden   Tony+Redden
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: May 27th, 2009, 5:53pm »

Have a peep at this  http://myscorpio.synthasite.com/, see if it's any help. But take note of the other members advise first before you go to the trouble of changing a fuse box
IP Logged

I think i'm going, erm what do you call it..... Senial.... Huh
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: May 27th, 2009, 5:54pm »

So you have no igniton lights, dash lights, radio or headlights? nothing at all?
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

twarwick

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: May 27th, 2009, 6:31pm »

Hi,

Yes, that's right nothing works - no dashboard lights, radio. When I turn the ignition on it has no effect...

Before I attempt to remove the fuse box I will make sure that I have tried all the easy things first. In fact, I should not make any assumptions about what is causing the problem and check everything anyway.

I called a mechanic friend of mine who suggested it would be better to buy a brand new fuse box from the dealer (if it's possible) because a second hand one might not work  and I would be no nearer a solution!

Does anyone have any idea what an Auto Electrician would charge to fix/fit a fuse box?

Thanks for all your useful advice - I can begin to see light at the end of the tunnel (but at the moment it's not my headlights unfortunately...)

Terry
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: May 27th, 2009, 6:39pm »

Did you pressurewash the engine bay?

I'd have a look in the battery side fusebox first, its quite easy to seperate the bottom and check for water with the fusebox still in place.

Have you had a multimeter on it at all??

check you have power going into the battery side fusebox, check the large fuses at the front of that fusebox then the relays, igniton relay 21 at the back can be swapped with 18 to test it.

if you have or can borrow a multimeter see if you have any power coming into the drivers fusebox at all..

I appreciate the powerwashing appears to be the problem and at the moment is the most probable cause but make sure its not something simple and unrelated
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

twarwick

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jun 1st, 2009, 12:21am »

Hi,

Just an update and to say thanks for the advice so far. I ended up borrowing my next door neighbours industrial strength (well at least hairdresser's strength) hairdrier and leaving it for 90 minutes to try and dry the fusebox. I also gave the battery an extra charge, checking and adding more fluid as required. After putting it all together and putting the key into the ignition - we appear to be back to normal. The dashboard lights come on and she starts. You guessed it, but... I went for a drive to B&Q parked, stopped the car turned the ignition off removed the key... the engine was still going. Put the key back in and tried removing, I could not stop the engine. Ended up driving home and pulling a fuse from the fusebox to stop the engine. Further, bad news, radio/cassette does not work and possibly other electrical items as yet untested. It's beginning to look like I may need to bite the bullet and replace the fuse box after all. I am still pondering what to do next and would welcome any (constructive) suggestions.

Thanks

Terry
IP Logged
wojtekor

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 1st, 2009, 12:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

You definitely need to rebuild the fusebox...
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.