Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 5:36am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Auto box advise needed »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Auto box advise needed
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Auto box advise needed  (Read 382 times)
paul_l

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Auto box advise needed
« on: Aug 17th, 2009, 12:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi i have a 24v scorpio, have been the proud owner for just one year luv the car but the auto box has never been right & now seems to have given up completely, after about a month of owning her the box started playing games by not wanting to stay in 3rd it would for a bit but would jump out and then lead the engine to rev frighteningly then try to engage again with a big jult , some days it would drive no proplems and then others was undrivable,Then this problem seemed to disappear only to make room for another to appear it then did not want to change back down through the gears when slowing down i.e to turn of a major into aside road ,to make it change down you would have to stop you could then feel it slightly jult down then pull away and would be fine again ,so i did not worry to much and carried on driving her thinking that i would sort it out when i had time also she had no kick down, But now the old problem has returned she will not change out of 1st gear ,it will if i do it with the shift but when put in D just keeps jumping out & reving so thinking it may be low on oil i topped it up finding it amost impossable to get a good reading from the dip stick i  think i have over filled it because oil ran out down the side of the gearbox onto the passanger side down pipe causing rather a lot of smoke & it has'nt made a bit of diffrerance to the proplem with the drive so could you please advise me before i go and spend loads of money on bits i don't need . P/S she is N reg &  has only 64000 miles on the clock ,Many thanks Paul l
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Auto box advise needed
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17th, 2009, 6:36am »

The first thing to do is look at the 'Fault finder' page Here and look at the Transmission section. Then go to THIS page which,amongst other things, tells you how to CORRECTLY check the gearbox oil level.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
paul_l

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: Auto box advise needed
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18th, 2009, 8:27pm »

Hi simmo, Thanks for your prompt reply i have looked on the fault finder & have come to the conclution that i must replace the vss to start with. after reading in the proplem section of the forum about someone else over filling their gearbox & the oil running down the side of the box it was suggested that it had come from a pressure relief valve on the box but having studed the exploded view of the box also on this site i cannot see a pressure relief valve could you put me right about it please as at one time i was thinking it may have been coming from a seal from a sencer i can see were the shaft go's through from the gear shift ! paul l
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.