Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 11:38pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Ye Olde plastic manifold problem. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Ye Olde plastic manifold problem.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Ye Olde plastic manifold problem.  (Read 489 times)
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

Ye Olde plastic manifold problem.
« on: Oct 16th, 2009, 3:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Some time ago a few of you gents were discussing the merits of different repair unctions for the above.
Some clown screwed a sensor into the brass insert so tightly that I had to turn the whole lot out of the plastic.
Another one was cooked before I bought it,and though it had a brand new manifold,blew the hose tail out of the plastic.
I would be grateful for your experiences and findings on this,obviously the main feature must be water resistance,so some of the powerful glues would therefore be ruled out.
       GOZZ.
IP Logged
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

Re: Ye Olde plastic manifold problem.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16th, 2009, 5:17pm »

Belzona would repair it if you can get it and loctite repair express I have found very good.  I think a inlet maifold off a granada scorpio will fit but not sure on that, best of luck.
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Oct 16th, 2009, 5:43pm »

I would recommend a product called milliput. It is a 2 part epoxy putty and can be drilled, painted sanded, it sets under water and is very heat resistive. My dad used to use it to fix everything. He died 16 years ago now and I still have and use a hammer which had the head fitted back on with milliput!!

It is the best stuff you will ever find
IP Logged
Kenboy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 16th, 2009, 7:11pm »

Hi I had the same problem as you, were as the whole brass core came out when I withdrew the Temp Sensor. I cleaned the orifice up applied locktite then re-inserted the brass plug, after it had set I replaced the temp sensor (Not to tight) then I  Mixed up a little plastic steel  (Bond To Bond)  and shaped it around the all the insert areas, that was some three years ago and all is ok but even this is not without its potential problem as there may come a time when the sender unit has to be replaced again and I guess the manifold will have to come off apart from that I am not truly comfortable with the set up I now have and have sourced anothet good manifold which I will eventually replace, in the meantime fingers and toes are crossed.

Cheers Kenboy
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 16th, 2009, 7:33pm »

Baz

I heard about Milliput from a friend who does some aero-modelling / remote control flying and he swore by it.

Just had a look at the website and having looked at the background stuff they have there it sounds absolutely spot on, can be tapped and appears to be capable of 130C. How hot does the manifold get?
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
Stixy

I should know better

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Oct 16th, 2009, 11:01pm »

New manifolds on ebay  

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-TRANSIT-2-3-PETROL-COMPLETE-MANIFOLD_W0QQitemZ 170386794921QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item27abd829a9
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 17th, 2009, 10:07am »

Thanks a lot for your input gents,strange I never heard of Milliput Baz,my old Dad was a handy old boy but can't remember him using that,there it is though as large as life,as Geoff says very popular with aeromodellers.
Stixy has reminded us of that absolute Ebay bargain,I remember how the chap raised the price when he had a run on them,however last night when happy in drink,one was duly ordered'whilst stocks last'.
      Thanks to you all
     GOZZ.
IP Logged
Baz

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Oct 17th, 2009, 10:26am »

Gozz.... milliput is amazing stuff. They used to do a white one once that my dad fixed a sink with and you could hardly see the stuff!!

It can be drilled and tapped and also moulded when soft using water to smooth it. It really is the best stuff to have in your tool box!
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 17th, 2009, 11:14am »

Thanks Baz,must get some,seems the biz! I can repair that manifold and do some 'stress tests' on it,perhaps you will loan me your Milliputted hammer  Wink
       GOZZ.
IP Logged
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 17th, 2009, 6:30pm »

I think I would have done the same, no more problems, from the manifold anyway Grin.
IP Logged
gost

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 18th, 2009, 12:18pm »

Hi everyone, there seems to be a few different colour Milliput, which is the recommended one
IP Logged

2.3 ultima
Baz

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Oct 18th, 2009, 8:05pm »

Gost,

Milliput in its "natural" state was a yellowy colour but they brought out a white one as well. Not sure if there are more colours available now, but yellow and white were both fantasic. Just make sure when kneeding the two parts of the putty together that you wear gloves.... it takes ages to get off your fingers!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.