Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 6:54am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« How do you tune a Td? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   How do you tune a Td?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How do you tune a Td?  (Read 1052 times)
jon_viola

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

How do you tune a Td?
« on: Nov 30th, 2009, 10:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This is continued from another topic and rather than hijack I thought i'd start a new one!  

So how do you up the boost? And is there a chip available?  

Anything else you can do which isn't too drastic or expensive? My car is seriously short of power on motorway hills and loses speed on every one....
IP Logged
Robzere31

2015 Felt F5 (Ultegra)

View Profile

Re: How do you tune a Td?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 1st, 2009, 12:14am »

Don't really think there's much extra power to get out of the old VM engine.

Dosen't seem to be much tuning equipment at all for the 2.5 VM.
There isn't a superchip available AFAIK, & winding the actuator off on the turbo doesn't really develop much extra BHP.

That said, I don't find the car lacking in power, I do 60 miles a day to & from work 40 odd miles on motorway,
& it pulls up hills etc fine.
Get suprised looks from BMW drivers when they see my old barge keeping up with them  ROFL
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 1st, 2009, 8:00am »

Not 100% sure about the VM engine but........The 1.8 Mondeo engine ( older one ) is tuned by upping the fuel pressure when the turbo comes on boost. This is a manual adjustment on the fuel pump & from what i've read it has some good results, but the trade off is lots of exhaust smoke under full load !. A garage called Derv Doctor in Derby has been mentioned on other forums a few times. Apparently this guy really knows how to make an oil burner go. Might be worth a Google & phone call  Wink
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 1st, 2009, 6:14pm »

Agree

Most TD's can be made to go better by upping the boost pressure a couple of psi and winding up the "on boost" fuelling.

As has been said they smoke a bit more and usually need backing off at MOT time.  Wink
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
jon_viola

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 2nd, 2009, 9:13am »

Ok, i'll do this. My car had a replacement engine just before i bought it and is seriously down on power so i guess it's not set up correctly.

The big question is how to up the fuelling and the boost- anyone got any pointers?
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Dec 2nd, 2009, 7:08pm »

Jon it really is worth having the car checked out as the TD's usually arent that bad. Liverpaul H used to have a 168,000 mile TD & it would leave my 12 valve for dead. Sounds suspiciously like an air pressure leak i.e. the turbo is spooling up but the boost pressure is getting lost before it can reach the inlet. I have driven a few TD's & TBH i didnt think they performed ok considering the size of the car ( except the awful automatic version ). Definatly think it's worth a bit of profesional input. HTH...Craig
IP Logged

jon_viola

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Dec 3rd, 2009, 9:57am »

on Dec 2nd, 2009, 7:08pm, Tons_of_fun wrote:
Jon it really is worth having the car checked out as the TD's usually arent that bad....Sounds suspiciously like an air pressure leak i.e. the turbo is spooling up but the boost pressure is getting lost before it can reach the inlet.

I agree with you, so i've already changed all three hoses and made sure they're really tight, still no difference. I can't see a hole in the intercooler......

On the motorway last night it would sit at 90 (kph Wink) then was dropping back to 82 on any sort of hill. That s four up with luggage but still.....

It seems like there is an area of dead pedal travel where the car actually gets slower towards the bottom of the pedal, hence my question about turning up the fuel and boost. As I say around town and on boost it's really fast with little smoke but above 50   Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Dec 3rd, 2009, 2:45pm »

It COULD be a weak actuator spring in the turbo. The idea behind an actuator is to vent excess pressure to atmosphere, thus relieving strain on component parts & preventing the engine from ' over boosting '. When actuators begin to wear the springs become weak & cant accuratley control the point of releasing excess boost, which can result in ' useable ' boost being released too early. Thus giving similar symptoms that you are experiencing. As said this COULD be the reason, but is definatly worth getting a proffesional opinion. Hope you get it sorted soon chap. Keep us informed... Craig  Smiley...Oh p.s. when was the last time the fuel filters were changed. Quite often the simple things can cause the biggest problems  Roll Eyes Wink Grin
IP Logged

Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 3rd, 2009, 3:13pm »

Change the diff Wink

A 24v Diff will give it better acceleration although your revs will sit approx 10% higher for the same speed than they did with the diesel diff.

unless you're doing a lot of motorway driving you'll hardly notice a difference in MPG, indeed in the 24v I have fitted with the 4.27 diff i reckon it does better mpg around town than before.

On the motorway its down approx 8mpg though
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 3rd, 2009, 4:21pm »

Never could understand why the low powered diesel has such a high diff ratio.Must be something to do with torque I suppose ?
             GOZZ.
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 3rd, 2009, 5:38pm »

plus the low rev limit of the diesel compared to the petrol.
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

jon_viola

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Dec 3rd, 2009, 5:39pm »

Sadly I do all my driving on the motorway in this car as it has to ferry my string quartet from concert to concert. it really does sound like the actuator to me too, does anyone have a spare? or know where I could pick one up from?  

cheers for all your help!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.