Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 10:13pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« The Dreaded RUST Attack...? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   The Dreaded RUST Attack...?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The Dreaded RUST Attack...?  (Read 820 times)
gerryw

Cossie Mad

View Profile

The Dreaded RUST Attack...?
« on: Dec 6th, 2009, 11:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all (1997 Cossie),

I have got a bad case of the dreaded RUST ATTACK on my nearside rear wheel arch with signs of Rust on the offside rear wheel arch!

I was wondering if anybody has an idea of the approx. cost I would be looking at to get the rust cut out and repaired and the respray (Panther Black) of both the rear wings of my Cossie (the nearside arch rim is quite baddley rusted)?

I would like some guidance because I know that by the time I have been to 4/5 bodyshop repairers for quotes that they may well be much varied?

But if I have some guidance then at least I will be able to have a realistic discussion with them regarding their quotes and be best placed to pick the one that meets my needs (the cost would not be my main concern but getting the job done properley)?  

Regards
Geddyw (Based in Runcorn,Cheshire Area) Huh
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

Re: The Dreaded RUST Attack...?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 6th, 2009, 2:41pm »

Well i cant really comment on how much the arch repair would cost, but to give you a rough guide to respray, i had the entire l/h side of my estste resprayed ( diamond white ). The cost was £300. Included in the cost was some minor panel work & a crease pulled out the sill. It certainly pays to shop around though. I had quotes ranging from £200 up to a grand  Shocked. I chose this guy as he was a Bently repair agent & offered to do my car during his down time ( to keeo the costs down ). Pity you live so far away as this guy is in Birmingham & has said he would be happy to give scorpio owners a good discount ( providing they are not in a rush )
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
mondeoman

2.9 24V Cosworth Ultima + 2.3 16V Facelift Ultima

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 6th, 2009, 3:20pm »

I don't know if you have had the wheel arches off etc but when I got my car wax oiled the guy found loads of foam to reduce road noise. The problem is it get wet and is an absorbent sponge which will help create the rust problems around the back wheels.
If you have not done so I'd recommend you remove the foam from the rear wheels.

For a little guidance my wife's 2.3 had some body damage when we bought the car and the following was done for £500:

Respray of passenger mirror (I fitted it)
Repair cracked front bumper and respray
Repair two dents on front bonnet and respray a section
Repair crease on rear boot.

IP Logged
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 6th, 2009, 4:25pm »

As a rough guide it's usually about £100.00 per panel to prep and paint, this does not include big repairs though.  

Depending on the extent of the rust I would think that for a decent job a fair price to do both sides would be £300.00 (patch repair each arch) to £500.00 (weld in complete arches)

Problem is with metallics, to make a nice job both rear quarter panels will need painting, unlike a solid colour where you can blend in a "local" repair.  

HTH
Dave
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.