Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 9th, 2024, 3:17am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Clay Bar question »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Clay Bar question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Clay Bar question  (Read 662 times)
Kenboy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Clay Bar question
« on: Dec 22nd, 2009, 6:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Your opinions on this one would be of interest, some time before the last Harewoood Show I decided to clay bar my car and followed the instructions as best I could and concentrated on one panel to use as a comparison   but for the life of me could not detect any difference to that of other panels and quite frankly gave up, my questions are,  what effect should it have had and as my car is diamond white would this be the wrong colour to use a clay bar on  I am  more than willing to put the hours in but as far as I am concerned I may as well have been using a bar of sunlight soap for all ther difference it made.

Have a nice one.  Kenboy
IP Logged
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: Clay Bar question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22nd, 2009, 7:22am »

After using the clay bar on the panel did you then polish the panel and then wax it as well?

I use a clay bar on mine every six months to strip the old wax and contaminents off, then I user Autoglym Super Resin Polish, then Meguirs NXT 2 tekwax followed by Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection.

Works a treat as you can see.

IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 22nd, 2009, 11:38am »

Hiya Ken. Wahey another Diamond White owner !!!  Wink. The purpose of a Clay bar is to remove surface contaminates & leave your paintwork as smooth as glass. They come in different compounds & grades depending on the severity of the paint condition. Usually a fine grade is all that is needed to produce a smooth finish, but be warned  Shocked use copious amounts of water & only apply the lightest amount of pressure as it's so easy to rub right through the paint ( been there ...Done that )  Roll Eyes. When i first aquired my car it was in a real sorry state, but rather than going down the clay bar route i opted for a paint renavator instead. Autoglyms paint renovator comes highly recomended but again only use it with light pressure as it is quite aggressive. When the paint was as smooth as a babys bum ( i used my 1 y/o as referance  Wink ) i then gave it a darn good polish with Autoglyms Super resin polish. After a few weekly applications of this the paintwork came back to almost new  Smiley. I now polish most weekends as Super resin polish  which contains cleaners & 'fillers' which keep the car looking lovely & white. Then once every 6 weeks give it a going over with Autoglyms High definition wax ( this stuff is the doggies danglies ). I,ve pretty much stuck to this routine with all my scorpios & in the past have produced a couple of trophy winners, so i must be doing something right. Only downside i can think of is you dont get to spend much time with the wife ( did i say downside  Tongue Lips Sealed Grin ). Happy polishing m8... Craig  Smiley
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
Tenfut

White Cosworth Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 22nd, 2009, 1:04pm »

Another Diamond White here. I used a clay bar in summer and thought it made a huge difference. Takes a bit of effort but once the wax goes on you get that "see your face in it" finish. At the moment it looks more like a camaflage? finish has been painted on what  with the slush / salt / spay etc.

Just to add I used the clay bar on the windscreen, makes the wipers glide silently across.

Tenfut
IP Logged

Everything in moderation!!
Kenboy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 22nd, 2009, 3:40pm »

Thanks for the info guys I will give it another whirl when weather permits, btw does it do away with all those very fine surface scratch swirls, this was my intentional aim but alas to no avail.

Kenboy
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Dec 22nd, 2009, 5:55pm »

Are you anywhere near Birmingham Ken ? You are always welcome to try some of the stuff i use, just to see if it's for you before you buy something you might not like  Wink
IP Logged

Kenboy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Dec 23rd, 2009, 6:24am »

Hi just a little to far I live in Witney but if I ever have an occassion  to go that way then I will take you up on your offer, my curiosity is buzzing. I have to say that my car looks a treat its just the very very fine swirl scratch marks that cheeses me off, perhaps I am being to picky but thanks for your offer.

Kenboy
IP Logged
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Dec 23rd, 2009, 7:54am »

Quote:
btw does it do away with all those very fine surface scratch swirls

Nope.  It just removes surface contaminents like tree wax, dead flies etc.  Also strips all the wax off the car (wax can go cloudy over time).

To remove the swirls you could try a hand polish such as Autoglym Super Resin Polish or Autoglym Paintwork renovator for tougher stuff.

For swirls though you're best off machine polishing with something like a poor boys product.
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Dec 23rd, 2009, 8:45am »

Dont forget good old Colour Magic  Undecided. Yes i know it is a masking agent, but is also a mild abrasive so will 'flatten' some of the swirls so they arent that noticable. Autoglms Ultra deep shine is also good at removing swirls, but is mainly for dark colours  Roll Eyes. I wish the weather would hurry up & get a little warmer ! My car looks an absolute mess at the moment & it's too darn cold to wash it .  Cry
IP Logged

gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 23rd, 2009, 8:43pm »

Craig.
It would be nice not to wash cars,Linda and I did three limos and two hearses in the dark last night,she cleaned two limos and a hearse whilst I was out today,and the hearse and limo that were with me,I cleaned in a funeral directors yard between two funerals,they are now back here filthy ,covered in salt and sugar beet mud from the fens,ready to be cleaned in the morning for the Christmas eve foray.This is what you may call 'looking through the other end of the telescope',however it is a hazard of our occupation.  Cool
          GOZZ.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.