Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 1:31pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Stinking Cat »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Stinking Cat
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Stinking Cat  (Read 737 times)
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Stinking Cat
« on: Feb 17th, 2010, 1:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Had a council taxi MOT test today (yesterday now Wink) & they have now started emissions testing on all vehicles....something they stopped doing a few years ago, after they had to pay out for damages caused to a petrol Merc when they, thinking it was a diesel, blew up the engine by revving the c**p out of it  Roll Eyes

Anyway, I was waitng in the canteen next to the testing bay when I suddenly heard the guy revving the c**p out of my engine.....I'd estimate that he was giving it close to 5000 rpm  Huh.......He did this a couple of times for about 20 seconds each time  Huh
I thought for petrol engines, only 2500 - 3000 rpm was required.

After the test was finished he called me into the testing bay & told me it had passed with no problems Cheesy. I commented about the fact that I thought he had given it too much welly during the emissions test & said that, as far as I know, it's only diesel engines that have to be revved that high for the emissions test & did he realise mine was petrol.
He said he only gave it between 2500 - 3000 rpm. I said to him that I thought it sounded like a lot more, but he denied this......liar Angry

Anyway, at work tonight, I noticed an occasional, real bad rotton egg smell (passengers probably think it's me, but are too polite to say anything Grin) & it seems to be coming from the cat  Huh....Is it possible he may have damaged the cat in some way by high revving the engine for too long ?  Undecided

Must also add that there has been alot of rain today & I've been through a few floods...so is it possible that the cat has started making this smell from getting a good soaking ?  Undecided

Anyone got any thoughts before I go to storming into the council offices & start demanding compensation for damage caused during a council vehicle test  Angry.... Wink

Might add though...the car is still running fine & there isn't any symptoms of blockage or rattling from the cat as yet  Smiley
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: Stinking Cat
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17th, 2010, 8:18am »

The smell is caused by high sulphur content in the fuel Happened in the early days of catalytic converters until the fuel producers brought out the low sulphur fuels which we buy today.  Seems like you might have got a bad batch of fuel . High revs should not affect the cats in fact I would have though the opposite would apply getting the cats nice and hot and therefor making them work more efficiently. Others no doubt will have other opinions on this.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
tonyboy

black2.924Vcoss ( No More )

Tony+Redden   Tony+Redden
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 17th, 2010, 7:29pm »

I shall Apologise in advance but i couldn't resist.
" I Know A Song about That " http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETQfuzNGT58
Sorry  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

I think i'm going, erm what do you call it..... Senial.... Huh
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 18th, 2010, 12:25am »

I reckon its probably just you Jonny  Grin
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Feb 18th, 2010, 3:35pm »

on Feb 18th, 2010, 12:25am, Highlander wrote:
I reckon its probably just you Jonny  Grin

No, it's defo the cat  Wink.... I don't need incontinence pants just yet  Grin

The cat didn't make any nasty smells last night  Huh, so I'm wondering if maybe some c**p got dislodged when the guy was giving it some & has now passed through. Or as Snoopy says, maybe it was a bad bit of fuel going through, although I haven't noticed any lumpy running (engine or bowels  Grin) & I steer well clear of supermarket fuel  Wink

Anyway, I've just stuck a bottle of Cataclean in the tank, so hopefully that will sort the cat out  Smiley
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 18th, 2010, 10:41pm »

hi jon

sounds like it's cleaned some of the c*** of of the cat with all the slow speeds/idling a taxi will do.

hth
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Feb 19th, 2010, 1:47am »

on Feb 18th, 2010, 10:41pm, scorpio_man wrote:
hi jon

sounds like it's cleaned some of the c*** of of the cat with all the slow speeds/idling a taxi will do.

hth

Agree....I think you could be right  Wink....I rarely go over 3000rpm & I suppose that is good formula for carbon build up. Maybe the council tester did me a favour & I ought to go & thank him for nearly blowing my engine  Wink
IP Logged
Chris_Basel

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Feb 22nd, 2010, 12:49pm »

The Italian tune-up Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.