Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 1:18pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Alternator ? ? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Alternator ? ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Alternator ? ?  (Read 379 times)
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

Alternator ? ?
« on: Feb 28th, 2010, 10:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all. I,ve been going through the project car this weekend & have got a fair bit sorted, but still have a couple of things to sort. One of which is , i have the battery charge light permanently illuminated on the dash. General opinion is that the 'Diode pack' is at fault ( alternator is charging at 14.2 volts )  Cheesy. Trouble is im a little unsure as to what tha diode pack is  Undecided. Am i correct in thinking it's the small electrical block which sits on the back of the alternator ? ?. Any suggestions would be appreciated as to what you think the fault might be, but as i have a spare alternator i was going to try this first. Thanks in advance... Craig  Smiley
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

Re: Alternator ? ?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28th, 2010, 4:28pm »

Rectifier / diode pack is normally in the rear of the alternator.

I can remember buying an 'Intermotor' brand replacement many years ago for one of my Mk2 Granada's for about £3 - £4 and it was a 2-minute job to change it.

Don't know if you can buy the bits for anything modern  Huh
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Mar 3rd, 2010, 9:14am »

If its charging at 14.2v then its unlikly to be the diode pack (rectifier), try voltage regulator, from memory thats where the light earths out.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 3rd, 2010, 2:03pm »

Thanks for the advice fellas. I spoke to the previous owner yesterday who had the alternator replaced with a recon, hoping to cure the charge light fault ( which it hasnt ), so i think you might be onto something there Martin  Wink. Dont suppose you could tell me where the voltage regulator is within the engine bay could you  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Wink
IP Logged

Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 3rd, 2010, 6:02pm »

I had/still have the not charging light on on the dash display.  Because I was worried about the Bty. going flat I had the Altinator checked out by a really good Auto Electricans.  They said that the Altinator was working just fine but that there was a "something  Huh" in it that was just not connecting properley with the result that the dash light would come on.  He said that all was working fine just that if the Alt. did fail I would not immediatley know about it.   Well, considerating how fussy the Engines on Scorpios are regarding starting and flicking needles etc. I did not see any point in proceeding down the expensive road of repair/replacement so I left happy to know my Alt was/is performing as it should.  I think that episode was about a year ago and the light has been faulty for about 3 years previous.  I hope this helps Craig.

Mike     Smiley
IP Logged
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 3rd, 2010, 6:26pm »

Has the regulator pack been ruled out? I would assume worn coals would cause on off behaviour.
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Mar 3rd, 2010, 9:04pm »

Thanks again for the advice fellas  Smiley Matt is coming over this weekend so round 2 of the 'Project car' will commence  Wink The glowing light was present with the previous owner, so he had a new ( reconditioned ) alternator fitted. I havent ruled out the regulator as yet, just trying to gather some info to reduce 'head scratching' time this weekend. Will keep you posted  Wink
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.