Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 5:18am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Cossie Cold start »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Cossie Cold start
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cossie Cold start  (Read 912 times)
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

Cossie Cold start
« on: Feb 28th, 2010, 10:50am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all. The project car is having a bit of trouble getting going in the mornings ( dont we all  Wink ). The symptoms are... Takes 3 or 4 turns before it fires & then is lumpy for around a minute. The idle is a little up & down for a while but fine when the engine is warm. When driving the engine will 'hunt' on light throttle, but fine when you give it a little gas. I shall be changing the idle control valve when it eventually stops raining  Roll Eyes & will probably change the throttle position sensor & the MAF at the same time, but was wondering if there is some sort of 'warm up regulator' nessled somewhere deep in there ?. As always any advice / opinions are welcomed. Thanks in advance... Craig  Smiley
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

Re: Cossie Cold start
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28th, 2010, 10:54am »

craig,

pop the air box off and have a look up the breather tube, see if the damp has turned the oil residue into sludge, also see if the little filter sponge is blocked up (remember your blue mk3)

pop the engine cover off and see if you can hear a small air leak, the little T connector may have broke

i'll be over in the week to give it a good going over on the electrics, may give the engine a going over to

Matt
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Feb 28th, 2010, 11:00am »

I was just thinking about theTT piece m8. I would make sence considering the symptoms. Think it's time to break out the WD & have a squirt around when the engine is running. If theres a vacume leak that will soon find it  Wink Grin Grin
IP Logged

Tenfut

White Cosworth Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Feb 28th, 2010, 5:48pm »

Hi Guys

The T piece is definitely broken on mine but it doesnt seem to affect the running. (Does anyone know where to get one?)

Re the sponge filter in the air box.Mine hasnt got one, is it needed, can you just make one out of a piece of household sponge?

Tony

IP Logged

Everything in moderation!!
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Feb 28th, 2010, 6:20pm »

on Feb 28th, 2010, 5:48pm, Tenfut wrote:
Hi Guys

The T piece is definitely broken on mine but it doesnt seem to affect the running. (Does anyone know where to get one?)

Ordered them last week, will probably soon arrive:

6631943 3.05€ (available), the most likely culprit.
1669273 2.17€ (assumed available from Cologne)

Generic T-pieces won't work, the middle connector of the first has different size (thicker if I recall). The second should be all ends 4mm using logic.

Got all just in case. Prices was from Finnish Ford.

The 90 degree connector 6526351 is also available. Straight hose connector 6753590 is obsolete. But this should be 4mm both ends using logic, hose dimension
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 2nd, 2010, 9:14am »

Problem solved  Smiley Smiley Smiley. Matt & I give it a good going over yesterday and changed.... Idle control valve, MAF sensor, cleaned & re gapped the plugs ( they had been set to 1.2mm  Shocked ) & re connected the vacum pipes to the purge valve  Roll Eyes. Matt also giave the fusebox a strip & clean ( just to be sure  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes ). The end result is the car started first turn this morning despite a heavy last night  Smiley. Not too sure what the original culprit was, but we are happy little bunnys all the same  Grin Grin Grin
IP Logged

Tenfut

White Cosworth Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Mar 3rd, 2010, 8:29am »

Hi Guys  

Re the sponge filter in the air box.Mine hasnt got one, is it needed, can you just make one out of a piece of household sponge?  

Tony  

Any thoughts anyone!!
IP Logged

tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 3rd, 2010, 8:40am »

Tenfut, check my post above. You get them from FMD. The 6631943 is likelier to be broken, and 1669273 is likely to be a 4-4-4mm T-piece.
IP Logged
Tenfut

White Cosworth Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Mar 3rd, 2010, 9:56am »

Thanks tlundkvi

Any idea if the sponge filter in the air box is necessary, what does it actually filter?

Tenfut
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Mar 3rd, 2010, 2:59pm »

The sponge sits in a small 'box' in the corner of the filter box where the breather enters and is intended to keep oil vapour out of the air intake. I have used a piece of packing foam for ages without a problem. If the foam is in reasonable condition you will see traces of 'sooty deposits' on it. When I 'found' mine it was totally disintegrated into almost crumbs!.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Mar 11th, 2010, 7:17am »

I received all the ordered connectors today.

All were for 4mm hoses, with quit a high expander (at most 6mm).

So what is needed:

4x 4mm 2-way 90 degree
6x 4mm 2-way straight
1x 4mm 3-way T
1x 4mm 3-way 45 degree T (I could have bet my little finger this would have been a 4-6-4 or a 4-8-4 T-piece, when this was replaced the middle was too thin on the regular T-piece we had when we fixed it)

Standard ones would then be fine, if the material withstands heat and has high enough expanders.

Is there anything preventing brass to be used (copper etc.)?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.