Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 7:27am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Rear Hub busted »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Rear Hub busted
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rear Hub busted  (Read 731 times)
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Rear Hub busted
« on: Apr 6th, 2010, 8:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well folks, you may remember that not long ago I posted about a squeak from my nearside rear hub/calipers and had good advice from you to get it sorted.  I took my car to a good garage and they said that there was nothing wrong and the squeak I heard was from rust on the rear discs.  

I hummed and haaad.  Not being satisfied and with a long journey up to Carlisle followed by four days touring around The Lakes looming I took her into KwikFit to be checked again.  They have allways been excellent but as they were stuffed out with work the sent me round to a subsidery of theirs.  I explained my concerns and they had the car in their care for a good hour, I could see that they were checking both sides as both rear wheels were off and the car was off the ground.  Before they handed my car back to me I had them check the Torque on the wheel bearings, which they did.

Their conclusion was that there was nothing wrong anywhere and that the squeak was from the discs.

So off I went, happy, believing that the squeak, which had dissapeared, would certainly not return again as a goood run around the "Lakes" would clean off any rust.

Sunday 28th, March, 70mph outside lane M5 and 91miles from home a rumbling sound, a wiggle and a wobble from the rear.  I eased her gently onto the Hard shoulder and called the RAC.  Half an hour later Stuart the RAC man arrived.  It is the offside hub that went, wobbily wheel.  He guarded us with his van and would not leave us till the Flatbed arrived 2hrs. later.  After half an hour standing around both of us being disabled were in real discomfort so to have him guard us with his van whilst we sat in the car was priceless and much apreciated.  Dave with the Flatbed arrived, took us home, moved our luggage, we were a bit past it by then, from the beast (huh) into my red Cossie for us.  Great people, they could not have been more helpfull.  We got to Carlisle about half past midnight.

Back home again I checked with our Ford Garage and they told assured me that the rear hubs on the 12valve and the 24valve are the same.  Yippie I knew that buying the 12valve Scrpper was a good buy.  So yesterday I put a bar on the offside hubnut to loosen it and was suprised to find it quite loose.  I have a 2 foot bar and just put only a little pressure from my foot when the nut moved!  Is this right?

Then I went to jack her up only to find that the inside edge that runs the length of the sill, and looks like an inverted squared "U", had suffered such pressure from being jacked up that it has split about a 1/4inch.  Is it an MOT failure?  

What now folks?  Who caused the split?  KwikFit or RAC man?
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Rear Hub busted
« Reply #1 on: Apr 9th, 2010, 8:07pm »

Oh dear oh dear, wasn't KwikFit was it cos they passed you on to somebody else?

That's why in the handbook it says you MUST put the jack properly on the little steel pins specially for the purpose, the sill is not strong enough to be jacked up on. There's 4 pins I believe, 2 behind the front wheels and 2 in front of the rears. (?)

I had a mini many years ago had one of its wishbones bent by being raised on it by a trolley jack

Quote:
I have a 2 foot bar and just put only a little pressure from my foot when the nut moved!  Is this right?  

No!

So is it definitely hub bearings gone, not just wheel loose causing the wobblies?

IP Logged

Mike H
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Apr 11th, 2010, 9:45am »

Hi Mike H.  KwikFit are innocent.  I washed the car after they had checked it over and would have noticed the split then.  As I wash under the sills as I would certainly have cut my hand.

I have replaced the Bearings.  Got my local friendly independant Garage to press home the bearings for me.  He also drifted out the smashed up, what a mess, bearigs.  He could not have beeen more helpfull.

I have refitted everything and took her for a short run of 2 miles.  Everything running smoothly but with regard for your definite "No!" I will get the Torque sorted in the Tomorrow AM.  

Thanks for your input Mike H.

Can't get the smileys to work.

Mike
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 11th, 2010, 1:09pm »

No there's still "error on page" whenever you type, looks like a bit of script is missing or garbled

Had a look at my owners book, turns out there are places you can put a trolley jack, fronts same as car jack (same area - sill) for the back appears to be slightly more inboard, apparently where the rear suspension pivots are. Which seems reasonable Grin

Bottom drawing of page 120:

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/images/handbook120.gif
IP Logged

Mike H
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 11th, 2010, 1:46pm »

on Apr 11th, 2010, 9:45am, Nunnspoet wrote:

I Everything running smoothly but with regard for your definite "No!" I will get the Torque sorted in the Tomorrow AM.  

Thanks for your input Mike H.

Can't get the smileys to work.

Mike

The bearings need to be torqued to 200ft/lbs. Usually means a 'professional' wrench as most DIY ones don't go anywhere near that. Also. After a hundred miles or so get them re-checked. They can, and have, loosened off after a bit of use despite being properly done in the first place.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Apr 11th, 2010, 1:56pm »

When you've torqued up the nut put a dab of white paint on the nut & thread and then you can easily check to see if there has been any unwanted 'loosening'.

I've had to do my n/s/r wheel bearing twice in 3 years now and the 'pro' torque wrench was well worth the outlay - equivalent of about 1 hours labour at garage rates.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Apr 12th, 2010, 9:59am »

All done and dustet.  I have just had the Hub nut checked and torqued up by ATS here in Chard with a professional Torque wrench, so once again "She" is back on the road.

I'll check the Nut again as sugested Simmo and I will dab a bit of paint on both. Nuts

Thanks again folks

Mike
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.