Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 7th, 2024, 9:20am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Wiring for Tyre Pressure Monitoring System »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Wiring for Tyre Pressure Monitoring System
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Wiring for Tyre Pressure Monitoring System  (Read 563 times)
mondeoman

2.9 24V Cosworth Ultima + 2.3 16V Facelift Ultima

View Profile

Wiring for Tyre Pressure Monitoring System
« on: May 3rd, 2010, 8:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

I'm hoping some on here my be able to help me locate a series of wires I need for my wife's tyre monitoring system?

I have had to put the display on the drivers side dash, due to the 8 sensor parking display on the passenger side.

According to the instructions to hard wire the unit I need a:  

1: negative,
2: live which is on only when the ignition is on
3: permanent live which is on even when the ignition is off.

I had planned to take the wire to the boot and use the a bolt on the lights and the cut off switch for the negative and live. Is their a permanent live in the boot, and if not where could I find one within easy reach of the drivers side? If you know can you please tell me the colour of the wires I need?

The car we have is an R reg 2.3 early facelift saloon.  

Many Thanks,

Mondeoman
IP Logged
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

Re: Wiring for Tyre Pressure Monitoring System
« Reply #1 on: May 3rd, 2010, 9:42am »

Hi mate, you could find all 3 at the back of the radio if that helps but in the boot you could use the wire for the fuel pump for the switched, negatives are easy, just use a bolt that goes through the bodyshell, as for a permant live in the boot im not sure their is one
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: May 3rd, 2010, 9:49am »

hi there

right, first my opinion. you'd be better of just giving her 20p a time to check at a petrol station!

2nd, you've been on here long enough to know that these cars don't like you messing with the electric!

if you still want to fit the thing, then DON'T try and get a feed from something that can cut the car out and is there for your safety!

take all your feeds from the radio wiring. nice and simple and (hopefully) won't affect the car from starting and running.
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/radio995on.htm

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=admin;action=dis play;num=1268901956

hth
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: May 3rd, 2010, 9:51am »

If the boot light operates when earthed like the doors,there would be a live there.
          GOZZ.
IP Logged
mondeoman

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 4th, 2010, 10:26pm »

Scorpio-man,

I take your point about the sensitive wiring on the car, but I do feel the item can be very useful.
I have studied the wiring of the car and found a better option than the radio which I have used.

The sunroof motor has all three leads attached via a multi-plug so I feed the wires up the windscreen pillar into the roof and across to the internal mirror. Then simply feed it through at the same point as the mirror wire and attached to the wires.

For future reference what is the best way to remove the side pillar cover and the clips for the sun visors?
I did have a little trouble with them?

Many Thanks,

Mondeoman

P.S if you think it is useful I'm happy to add some info on how I did it as I altered a sat nav mount to make a nice little bracket for the unit etc
IP Logged
tonyboy

black2.924Vcoss ( No More )

Tony+Redden   Tony+Redden
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: May 4th, 2010, 10:36pm »

I'm not absolutly sure but i think the cover for the pillar, slides upwards... what makes me say that is that the previous owner of my car had an aftermaket alarm fitted and he put the sensor wire behind the cover, and it has fallen off a couple of times. And i seem to remember that the plastic U shape holder for the pins had broken.......... ( aftermarket alarm.... maybe the reason for so many electrical problems i have..... )
IP Logged

I think i'm going, erm what do you call it..... Senial.... Huh
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: May 4th, 2010, 11:14pm »

My wifes Peugeot and my S Class has the tyre pressure monitoring on them and to be honest they are the most pointless things ever invented.

I assume with the after market units, the pressure monitor comes from screw caps? On my cars the sensors are built in to the valve stem so that if the cap gets nicked, it doesn't send out false signals.

I have the full dealer computer system for the S Class and I "uninstalled" the feature after one of the sensors broke and Mercedes wanted £175.00 for a new one! plus the thing was always going off with false alarms!

On the wifes 407, the tyre pressures run very high (39psi) so even the slightest drop has the car telling you to STOP in big red letters and warning buzzers going off like Apollo 13.....

Personally, I wouldn't bother.... and I like my gadgets Smiley
IP Logged
mondeoman

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: May 5th, 2010, 8:46am »

Well I guess time will tell, but unlike some systems this one does give the pressure of each wheel and the accuracy is +/- 1psi which is quite good. When they were installed yesterday it showed the garage gauge was 2psi out and, true enough when I checked at home with mine I needed to pump them up.

I can change the alarm set point for the high/low pressure and high temp settings. This system works by fitting the sensors inside the wheel, rather than caps which are not supposed to be very reliable. New valves are approx £5 and new sensors approx £30, so not extremely expensive.  

The unit I have bought is the SureTyre system.

IP Logged
mondeoman

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: May 5th, 2010, 8:49am »

I forgot to say the sensors should last about 7 years and you are able to reprogram the unit is you need to swap over wheels in any configuration.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.