Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 7:19am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Heater HELP »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Heater HELP
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Heater HELP  (Read 847 times)
granorpio

1998 Silver Facelift Cosworth

View Profile

Heater HELP
« on: May 28th, 2010, 9:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Strange one this!
I've owned the car for nearly six years now and in all this time I have suffered on occassions from that famous curry smell and also recently now a 'white fog' wisps from the air vents, again intermittently and yet the carpets are bone dry and I've have never had to top up the coolant.  
Well to be perfectly honest, I must admit that I have recently in the last few months developed a small leak from the drain plug in the radiator but prior to this in the last five years never had to top up.
The gas has been changed regulary, as has the pollen filter.

So I have now booked time off work to change the heater matrix but admit I'm woundering as to whether or not I'm wasting my time?
Oh and talking to someone at Ford they reckon the dash will be either glued or riveted on, they clearly haven't read this MATRIX.. lol

One more thing of possible interest (sorry for the length of this post) I also had a problem with the climate control it wouldn't either switch off or stay switched off. So I ended up after attempting sooo many resets, changing over time the Control Panel (reseting again), SATC module and the HBC module all too no avail.
It turned out strangley enough that despite frequent charges (DIY battery charger) due to the car battery going flat because I do many short trips and don't drive very far very often (less than 1000 miles last year) what it really needed was a jolly good charge on an good charger (in my case an industrial one at work) to FULLY charge it and hey presto now it turns off and stays OFF! I don't confess to understand this one but am so glad that it's finally sorted.  
The battery was also tested and found suprisingly to be actually OK as was the alternator, so the the conclusion is when buying a battery charger BUY A GOOD ONE, I know I now have.  

- Mike -
IP Logged

- Mike -

So nearly said "goodbye" but now Scorpio will see another day, alongside the replacement! eek!
tonyboy

black2.924Vcoss ( No More )

Tony+Redden   Tony+Redden
View Profile WWW Email

Re: Heater
« Reply #1 on: May 28th, 2010, 10:52pm »

Hello mike you could try and check your drain valves at the back of the engine, there should be one either side of the engine by the bulk head. Have a look at THIS
IP Logged

I think i'm going, erm what do you call it..... Senial.... Huh
granorpio

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 30th, 2010, 7:13pm »

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've had a look at both drain pipes and they are both clear, infact very clear as neither has this valve fitted as shown in the link

What is it's purpose?

Before I start to rip everything out I thought I might give flushing the system ago first. Thought about using THIS STUFF ... anybody used this before?
IP Logged

- Mike -

So nearly said "goodbye" but now Scorpio will see another day, alongside the replacement! eek!
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: May 30th, 2010, 8:15pm »

on May 30th, 2010, 7:13pm, granorpio wrote:
What is it's purpose?

Stops engine bay smells getting into the air ventilation I believe it says

IP Logged

Mike H
granorpio

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 30th, 2010, 9:47pm »

on May 30th, 2010, 8:15pm, Mike H wrote:

Whoops... quite correct, I shall have to read slower next time. lol
I'll have to order some then if still there still available.

Thanks
IP Logged

- Mike -

lesterlad aka Rodders

2.3 Ghia x Estate (Manual)

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: May 30th, 2010, 11:34pm »

on May 30th, 2010, 8:15pm, Mike H wrote:

Also acts as water drainage for the climate control/aircon melted ice
IP Logged

There's are methods to my madness!!! I'm not sure what the methods are but there's definitely madness in them
lesterlad aka Rodders

2.3 Ghia x Estate (Manual)

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: May 30th, 2010, 11:38pm »

on May 30th, 2010, 9:47pm, granorpio wrote:

Whoops... quite correct, I shall have to read slower next time. lol
I'll have to order some then if still there still available.

Thanks

You could always put in a request for a pair on the "parts wanted" section, I'm sure someone will have a couple knocking about.  
IP Logged

There's are methods to my madness!!! I'm not sure what the methods are but there's definitely madness in them
granorpio

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: May 31st, 2010, 8:23pm »

Well would you believe it, I found a pair laying in a draw in the workshop off a Granada..woopee.  
Wounder why the Scorp didn't have any?
IP Logged

- Mike -

granorpio

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: May 31st, 2010, 8:33pm »

on May 28th, 2010, 9:39pm, granorpio wrote:
I must admit that I have recently in the last few months developed a small leak from the drain plug in the radiator

Well I decided to solve this problem before attempting the flush and what a nightmare this is turning out to be. I ended up having to take out the radiator and re-thread the drain plug hole and and blank it off. Grrr!
IP Logged

- Mike -

Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 1st, 2010, 5:55pm »

Oo-er....
IP Logged

Mike H
granorpio

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jun 3rd, 2010, 10:50pm »

Okay, so the leak is cured and the radiator is back in. I have flushed and re-filled the system including the heater matrix and it is definately NOT blocked and so far there are no leaks or airlocks that I can tell. The system itself was very clean.
The problem I am finding now is that on idle I only get cool/very luke warm air but as I increase the revs to say 3000rpm the air coming from the vents starts to become toasty warm and as the revs decrease so does the temp back to cool/very luke warm. I have my own therory as to what it may be would like to hear what you knowledge good people think first please.

Thanks again

-Mike-

N.B
I did a reset as well on the CC and for the first time ever it came up with 00 code - its usually 52 or 57. WOW!
IP Logged

- Mike -

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.