Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 11:13am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Tyre wear Sorted »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Tyre wear Sorted
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Tyre wear Sorted  (Read 1412 times)
Chieftain

Mechanically Challenged with a 24V Cosworth

View Profile WWW

Tyre wear Sorted
« on: Jun 6th, 2010, 9:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Noticed that both front tyres have worn on the inner portion, this usually indicates tracking, could this be due to the fact I replaced front springs a while ago and had marked on things to do to have tracking checked, sadly I managed to foget so is this a result?
IP Logged

Bob

if it ain't broke fix it and it will be
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

Re: Tyre wear
« Reply #1 on: Jun 6th, 2010, 10:10am »

Yep, wheel alignment is out.   If you are wearing tyres more on the inside the car is too far 'toed-out'.   I would steer-clear of places like 'Kwik-Fit' for my wheel alignment, the job is only done as well as the operator!   I do my own with a run-over plate, and make sure your steering wheel is central when you get the car back.   Another way of checking what way wheel alignment is out, is to run your hand across the tyre to feel for the feathering.   If you feel the feathering when you pull your hand outwards, your alignment is 'toed-in'.   If you feel the feathering when you run your hand inwards, your alignment is 'toed-out'.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Chieftain

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: Jun 6th, 2010, 11:09am »

Thanks PJ, would not dream Kwik fit, I have a local garage that I trust and they love the Scorp.  Another thing would this account for a groaning noise on right lock? as wheels being forced to adopt untrue allignment, only seems to have taken place since I did the work.
IP Logged

Bob

PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 6th, 2010, 7:50pm »

You'll need to describe as best as you can the groaning noise, by aligning it to another sound and telling exactly when it happens.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Chieftain

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: Jun 6th, 2010, 9:54pm »

LOL very hard to do in words, only on right lock and it sounds more hydraulic than metal but it vibrates up the column.  Never had it till the springs were replaced, have tried the removing air lock tip posted on here often but no joy.  Might see what happens with new tyres and tracking fettled.
IP Logged

Bob

Pegasus

24V Cosworth  Ultima Born: Sept 97, sold Aug 23

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jun 6th, 2010, 10:07pm »

on Jun 6th, 2010, 10:10am, PJDavis wrote:
Yep, wheel alignment is out.   If you are wearing tyres more on the inside the car is too far 'toed-out'.   I would steer-clear of places like 'Kwik-Fit' for my wheel alignment, the job is only done as well as the operator!   .

Agree - I went to KF and made a hash of it, complained and the regional manager said they shouldn't have attempted it as they "don't do cars over 10 years old". However, they did send me a lot of vouchers as compensation for the hassle.
IP Logged

Go Go Go ...
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jun 7th, 2010, 2:02am »

Could be that the track rod inner ball joints are worn & causing the wheels to tow out ?  
IP Logged
PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 7th, 2010, 8:56am »

Are the springs seated properly in the turrets?   If not it's sometimes more of a graunching sound as the spring is forced slightly.   Get the wheel alignment sorted first.   Don't be surprised if even after the wheel alignment is true the car still pulls off slightly, this will now be due to the tyre wear.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
Chieftain

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: Jun 7th, 2010, 9:07am »

One other point if I take the weight just of the font and move from lock to lock then no noise and no sensation of rumbling felt.

What a comment by KF "dont do cars over 10 years" why are they different? thats why i steer (even with wobbly tyres) away from them.

Thanks for suggestions once tracking is sorted i will update.
IP Logged

Bob

PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 7th, 2010, 10:39am »

Chief said, "One other point if I take the weight just of the font and move from lock to lock then no noise and no sensation of rumbling felt".

This would suggest to me that the spring is just not quite sitting correctly, or as also suggested worn ball-joints or track control joints.   It has also been mentioned on this site previously, NOT to go full lock to lock whilst the weight is off the front for fear of damaging the steering rack seals.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
Chieftain

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: Jun 7th, 2010, 12:43pm »

Trouble is which spring, hard to tell like this, guess best thing is check them both out
IP Logged

Bob

Chieftain

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: Jun 8th, 2010, 11:15am »

PJ any tips or hints on what to do? or simple fixes (is there such a thing) do I need to remove it again and then replace, when you say not seated in the turret do you mean as a full assembely or not seated in its top cap?
IP Logged

Bob

PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Jun 8th, 2010, 2:48pm »

Is the sound like a door creaking only in a heavier sort of way?   You could try taking some of the weight off of each side in turn, and turning the wheel (but not full lock) to try and ascertain which side is making the noise.   Get someone else to turn the wheel whilst you listen.   Whilst the weight of the car is on the road, (asnormal) if you're brave enough, you could get someone else to turn the wheel slowly and put a hand up and rest it on the spring coil to feel where the vibes are coming from.   For the ball joints:   Weight on the ground, car engine NOT running, get someone to rock the steering back and forth (from say 'five to twelve' to 'five past twelve' whilst holding the bottom ball joint.   (try not to trap your fingers)   Also rocking the whole car at the front from side to side (if your mate is strong enough) will help feel for the bottom ball joints and the Anti-Roll-Bar to Strut ball joints.   The first method of rocking the steering will show up any play in the track-rod-ends as well.

Sometimes if you fit a new spring to a strut the top of the spring doesn't sit square in the rubber cup.   If this happens the rubber cup squeaks like a new leather shoe! But heavier.

I also seem to remember that these cars don't like the front-end to be lifted full off the ground and the steering can be a bit graunchy, mine was for about ten miles, then it settled down again.   Maybe someone else on here can confirm that and shed more light?

Peter.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
Chieftain

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: Jun 8th, 2010, 3:24pm »

Peter

Thanks for those tips, yes car door sound does seem to describe it well, will see what happens (once it stops raining)
IP Logged

Bob

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jun 9th, 2010, 6:21pm »

If the front wheels are lifted off the ground and allowed to hang for a while it is common for the steering to be affected. The answer is to turn the steering wheel from lock to lock a few times with the wheels on the ground BUT with the weight off them to enable the wheels to move without undue strain on the rack. DO NOT hold the wheel in the full lock position as that does the seals no good!. Alternatively continued driving will have the same effect eventually.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Jun 10th, 2010, 2:30am »

If it's the strut top bushes creaking, then give them a spray with some WD40 etc under the top plate. Sometimes they can tend to creak a bit when turning at low speed (creak goes when wheels are off the ground). It is quite common & not usually a cause for concern.

The top bushes are pretty big, thick & robust & it's usually top bearing failure that causes them to wear, but if the top bearing had seized then the steering would be pretty stiff. If the top bearing had collapsed, then it would most likely cause the wheel to camber at an angle rather than tow out of line & I'd imagine produce a pretty horrific grinding noise Smiley

I suggest giving the bushes a spray & getting the tracking checked.....then go from there  Wink

If the vibration you feel in the steering is due to the wheels being off the ground, then this can take up to 50 miles to completely dissapear  Wink

Hope this helps  Wink
IP Logged
Chieftain

View Profile WWW

« Reply #16 on: Jun 10th, 2010, 8:59am »

Thanks for all replies one other thing though the noise/sensation remains in the lock posiition i.e. if you were to drive in a right hand circle the nosie would be there all the time, then goes on center steering. Will see what happens after it has had tyres and tracking done.  No problem with left lock
IP Logged

Bob

Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Jun 10th, 2010, 12:18pm »

Wouldn't be the P/S pump having a moan would it ?  Smiley
IP Logged
Chieftain

View Profile WWW

« Reply #18 on: Jun 10th, 2010, 4:18pm »

Johhny thats what I thought because it only comes on at certain angle and then stays on, but why would it not groan if weight was off, would it be becaue it had no hard work.

if it is this is there a solution other than repelacment?
IP Logged

Bob

gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Jun 10th, 2010, 7:56pm »

The pressure relief valve in the pump usually makes some sort of noise when forced on lock,and strangely not always both ways,the sound varies from a hiss to a rattling growl,the answer is to be gentle.Some of my helpers force the lock on,they seem to think it will decrease the turning circle !!!
                                                  GOZZ.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.