Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 11:23am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« The best Scorpio »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   The best Scorpio
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The best Scorpio  (Read 2416 times)
faffi

Two-wheeled cornering

View Profile

The best Scorpio
« on: Jun 10th, 2010, 9:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I suppose that if your main object is to have as reliable a Scorpio as possible, you would go for the lowest spec available (less things to go wrong) and probably a 2-litre manual as well? But most of us like to have a bit of extras to make daily life more pleasant and accept the accompanying cost/risk.  

But if we go beyond that, is there some issues that cause more trouble than others, things you want to avoid? Like the Dual Mass Flywheel on the 2.3 vs. the presumably basic clutches on the 2-litre versions. Or the automatic climate control vs. the basic air condition. Or the plastic manifold on the 2.3 vs. the metal items on the 2-litres. That sort of thing.

Also, are there some years that are better than others? I think there were some upgrades concerning the heater fan after the 1995 model? I have also read, I think, that the 1998 versions are more rust prone?
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

Re: The best Scorpio
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10th, 2010, 11:54am »

For some reason the earlier cars seem less prone to tinworm,don't know why though !
IP Logged
faffi

Two-wheeled cornering

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jun 10th, 2010, 2:35pm »

I know that my 1995 rusted more than my 1997, but that also had to do with the care they had before my time, I presume. But overall, the 1995 was more silent and seemed better built - despite being driven 245' km to 90', it felt tighter nonetheless and things like windows worked smoother and with less noise etc.
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 10th, 2010, 4:01pm »

If im being honest i think the best scorpio is a 12 valve. Why ? ? ? Well... Bullet proof mechanicals, simplified gearbox ( no leccy gubbins ), great parts avalability ( engine ), sounds good &  goes quite well ( for a 90's car anyway ). If i had to choose with my heart though it has to be a cossie. Choosing with my brain it's going to have to be a diesel ( just goes to show how brainy i am then ) Wink Wink All of which will have pumice leather Smiley
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
Stixy

I should know better

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jun 10th, 2010, 9:44pm »

For me its the 95 model 2.0 16v auto   . I dont want to go 100mph everywhere and i dont like buying petrol  the 2.3 is nice but i have seen more dead than live ones through headgaskets / manifolds etc   but a 2.3 with a 2.0 inlet  yes  . I am not so keen on the v6 models as the performance isnt worth the economy  

as Gozz said  the earlier models dont seem to rot as bad as the later ones  .
 I allways fit the basic type heater controls inplace of the climate control  as i have had a few winters with unreliable heaters  i also replace the electronic mirrors with standard type to save the mess when it decides to leak not to mention cloud up .  

leather seats are the best as the cloth seats dont wear well the covers seem to last but the padding doesnt .

At the moment i have 6 of them but only 1 is useable
IP Logged
faffi

Two-wheeled cornering

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jun 10th, 2010, 10:36pm »

Interesting. I hope several more will chime in, I think there are lessons to be learned for everybody.

Stixy: I didn't know the 2.3 had any weaknesses - mine is still going strong (my cousin bought it when I coudln't stand not having air condition - I feel bad enough in sunshine for it to affect my driving) and closing in on 100k miles - if it hasn't passed it already.

Why would you want automatic over manual - for comfort or reliability?

I didn't get that about the mirrors - do you mean the heated and electrically mirrors can cause trouble? Didn't experience any on my cars.

When you say normal heater controls - do you mean with or without A/C?  

My 1995 2.9 with CC went more and more crazy, sometimes blowing hot air on LO and sometimes cool air on HI. And then the fan began to run only when it felt like it, be that in auto or manual mode. That's when it was time to trade it in. Something I regret that I had to do, because the basic car was sound. With over 150k miles on it, the engine still only used about 2 pints of oil in 10,000 miles, the auto transmission was replaced at around 95k because the previous owne A) hadn't changed the oil and B) the engine performance varied, making the box go in and out of lock mode a lot. I compensated by letting off the throttle (to release the lock-up) before manually changing down when I anticipated more power was needed.

There was some rust on it, but nothing alarming. Actually, I was surprised to find rust on both front corners of the roof when I bought it, as well as at the rear edges of the doors. That was when the car was only 4 years old. But over the next 6 years, it was only during the last year that some rust showed up below the rear doors, rear wheel arches and around the rear lights. Also, by then the springs and shock absorbers were completely worn out. I still wish I had spent money on fixing it properly instead of selling it because it was a better car than the 1997 in many ways.

So, yes, I agree with Tons_of_fun that the 2.9 is nice. It was nearly as economical as the 2.3 on long distance drives, but about 35 % thirstier when driving around the neighbourhood. Partly due to the automatic transmission, I presume. But the growl of the V6 and the extra torque was very nice to have compared to the rather boring 2.3.
IP Logged
Stixy

I should know better

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jun 10th, 2010, 10:50pm »

on Jun 10th, 2010, 10:36pm, faffi wrote:
Why would you want automatic over manual - for comfort or reliability?

Disability  i have bad legs  

I didn't get that about the mirrors - do you mean the heated and electrically mirrors can cause trouble? Didn't experience any on my cars.

Its the auto dimming  interior rear view mirror  

When you say normal heater controls - do you mean with or without A/C?  

I remove the climate control and fit the basic 3 dial type heater controls and mod the wiring so the air con works through the fan switch as it does on Ghia models its quite a job dash out job and swap the heater box  but i think its worth it for a reliable heater
IP Logged
faffi

Two-wheeled cornering

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jun 11th, 2010, 7:23am »

Thanks, Stixy, for the clarifications Smiley  

Never thought the mirror would leak - I have one on my Mondeo and I really like the functionality, although I wouldn't be bothered to go back to a manual unit.  

Good to hear that it is the electronics and not the A/C itself that causes trouble. I have heard that there is an issue with the 3-step fan, though, which can cause it to only work on speed 3 (or was it 1?) - is that true?

BTW, just like on my Mondeo, the manually adjustable fan will not turn off completely in the Scorpio. It did, however, do go completely off in my 1995 with climate control. Not sure if that was a defect or not, because when it felt it had reached the correct temperature, the fan would start and stop repeatedly, whereas in the Mondeo it just reduce fan speed and redirects the air flow.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jun 11th, 2010, 7:40am »

on Jun 11th, 2010, 7:23am, faffi wrote:
Thanks, Stixy, for the clarifications Smiley  

Good to hear that it is the electronics and not the A/C itself that causes trouble. I have heard that there is an issue with the 3-step fan, though, which can cause it to only work on speed 3 (or was it 1?) - is that true?

The situation is explained Here and is a simple fix.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 11th, 2010, 8:12am »

faffi.
Unless one is a 'dyed in the wool' manual box addict,the Scorpio is only half the car without auto because it is all about comfort and easy riding,shifting the stick negates the reason for owning a Scorpio.
I must add that the foregoing is only my opinion and is not intended to attempt an
onslaught on the manual box Wink
                                  GOZZ.
IP Logged
faffi

Two-wheeled cornering

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jun 11th, 2010, 9:26am »

I agree with the auto being preferable. I had a manual in my 2.3, and the clutch was horrible. It wouldn't release completely - you could hear a clunk in the rear final drive every time you engaged a gear from a standstill. It also grabbed unevenly - if you stood still and let the clutch out slowly, rpm would start to fluctuate rapidly as the clutch grabbed/released (hard to explain, but it was almost as if it wobbled on the axle). Switching it didn't help. But I'm not sure if this is a result of the DMF or if something was wrong on my car. The 2.0 16V I tried didn't have this issue.

IP Logged
Chieftain

Mechanically Challenged with a 24V Cosworth

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: Jun 11th, 2010, 10:17am »

Perhaps the best Scorpio is "yours" that works as it should
IP Logged

Bob

if it ain't broke fix it and it will be
shooshyneman

3 x 2.5TD estates.  Then there were no scorpios

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: Jun 11th, 2010, 2:57pm »

Dont muck about with all that expensive Petrol, Cam Belts or Chains. Get a diesel, It might not accelerate like a 24Valve but it cruises just as well. Oh and an autobox if youre very lazy. When the oil price goes up you can always go to the chip shop and use his frying oil
IP Logged
rich1

london cabbies have the knowledge!!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jun 11th, 2010, 8:36pm »

auto all the time , i know a couple of london cabbies that had manuals specially ordered ...............madness !!!!
i couldnt go back to a manual ever again
IP Logged
faffi

Two-wheeled cornering

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jun 11th, 2010, 8:39pm »

Cannot see why the cam chain on the diesel should last longer than the chain on the 2.0 or 2.3?

Apart from that, I'm done with the fuel of satan (TM Jeremy Clarkson) - the smell, the noise, the mess a solitary drop makes after filling up, the lack of power and the narrow powerband all contribute to make diesels the third choice for me. The TDCi in my Mondeo has been far from impressive.
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Jun 11th, 2010, 9:14pm »

on Jun 10th, 2010, 9:44pm, Stixy wrote:
For me its the 95 model 2.0 16v auto

Ditto, but must be properly sorted in my experience. Was idly studying 2.3's a while ago but was put off by plastic inlet manifolds etc.

Quote:
as Gozz said  the earlier models dont seem to rot as bad as the later ones  .

Same here, maybe the steel came from a different place? Grin

Mine's bottom of the heap Exec so no AC to worry about. Problee only really needed it 2 or 3 days in any year so having to maintain it etc. looks like a complete pain. Blower / heater does most what I want most of the time.

I luv autos and I agree about the luxury / lazy bit, I imagine the Scorp with a gear stick would be a right drag and completely spoil the "effect".

Don't like leather seats so cloth is just fine. Haven't noticed any problems with padding but all the covers are still perfect.

Are there any Execs left still running in the world or have I got the only one?  
IP Logged

Mike H
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Jun 11th, 2010, 10:36pm »

If there were such a thing as a "Best" Scorpio we would only have one type of engine/bodytype/spec etc.

Everyone has different preferences and requirements, what suits you doesnt suit me and vice versa

I have a diesel estate I use for long distance carrying stuff and a 24v saloon for "playing" in

I wouldn't dream of using either one for the wrong job Wink

The 12v is pretty bombproof but all engine types have their own  faults and advantages
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Jun 11th, 2010, 11:41pm »

Cannot see why the cam chain on the diesel should last longer than the chain on the 2.0 or 2.3?

Does the diesel not have timing gears then ?
       GOZZ.

IP Logged
faffi

Two-wheeled cornering

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Jun 12th, 2010, 12:08am »

Is it a pushrod design, then? If it's OHC design, it would be very unusual to have just gears to drive the cam(s).
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Jun 12th, 2010, 9:37am »

[quote author=faffi link=board=Advice;num=1276158449;start=0#18 date=06/12/10 at 00:08:37]Is it a pushrod design, then? [/url]

YES.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.