Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 11:18am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« The best Scorpio »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   The best Scorpio
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The best Scorpio  (Read 2414 times)
shooshyneman

3 x 2.5TD estates.  Then there were no scorpios

View Profile WWW

Re: The best Scorpio
« Reply #20 on: Jun 12th, 2010, 10:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

No cam belts on diesel, No chains either, must be revolutionary!
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #21 on: Jun 12th, 2010, 1:52pm »

If it's pushrod then camshaft down near the bottom, so could be a short chain off the crank or could be close enough for gears.
IP Logged

Mike H
faffi

Two-wheeled cornering

View Profile

« Reply #22 on: Jun 12th, 2010, 7:14pm »

The old Volvo B18/B20 also were pushrod designs with pinions driving the cam. Only one of them were made from plastic to keep noise down. Some would run for 300,000 miles, other would fail at 1/10 that.  

Any sign of weakness in the Ford diesel design? Any differences between the 115 and 125  hp units?
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #23 on: Jun 12th, 2010, 8:43pm »

It's an Italian VM engine adopted by Ford.
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #24 on: Jun 13th, 2010, 1:57pm »

Is that a fact? Gerraway

LOL you'd think they'd have enough of their own to choose from Grin

Plastic timing gears

IP Logged

Mike H
Stixy

I should know better

View Profile

« Reply #25 on: Jun 13th, 2010, 5:37pm »

VM timing gears  

Gear number 4 is the camshaft  

IP Logged
Stixy

I should know better

View Profile

« Reply #26 on: Jun 13th, 2010, 5:39pm »

The Essex and early cologne V6 had fibre timing gears  and they either lasted forever or a fortnight
IP Logged
faffi

Two-wheeled cornering

View Profile

« Reply #27 on: Jun 13th, 2010, 6:57pm »

I'm slanting more and more towards a Cologne Ghia (if I can find one) now that the deal with the Cosworth seems to fall through (owner says he's grown too fond of the car ) Cologne because I had one that I was happy with save for electronic issues (which had nothing to do with the engine) and Ghia because of the lesser equipment level, but with the important air condition.  

I don't care about memory for the seat, but I would like to be able to adjust the seat for angle as well as lumbar support - don't now if that's possible without the memory bit?
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #28 on: Jun 13th, 2010, 8:50pm »

a 12v Cologne? The 24v is ALSO a Cologne Wink
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #29 on: Jun 13th, 2010, 10:21pm »

faffi.
I weighed in an aubergine Ghia recently without any aircon fitted,and my colleague had a Coleman Milne 24v limousine without aircon,best ask the question when considering a purchase.There was a generation of Britons who would not entertain encumbrances allied to North America !!Could it be the same where you are ?
                                                GOZZ.
IP Logged
faffi

Two-wheeled cornering

View Profile

« Reply #30 on: Jun 13th, 2010, 10:44pm »

Perhaps, I don't know. My first Scorpio was a GLX (lowest spec, I believe) but fitted with climate control, cruise control, 6000 radio unit and 10-disc CD changer. My second was also GLX, no air con (reason for sale) but with headlight adjuster and heated front shield and 6000 radio unit without CD changer. Both had heated seats.

I would definitely make sure any car I would consider is fitted with air con, be it manual or automatic. I could manage to live with an old Mercedes or Volvo without air con (just) because they have lots of fresh air inlets. The Scorpio has none - you simply cannot get outside-temp air into the car, it's like always driving with the heater on a little. At least the 3 I've drivven were like that, so I think it's a design feature. And my Mondeo is also the same, although easily resolved since it has CC.
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #31 on: Jun 13th, 2010, 10:47pm »

There must have been a problem with them, if set correctly and working there should be plenty outside air for cooling, did you feel heat all the time?
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

faffi

Two-wheeled cornering

View Profile

« Reply #32 on: Jun 13th, 2010, 11:12pm »

No lack of air flow, only it was never cool. Even during winter, I could not get really cold air into the cabin. Parked in the sun, the air was downright hot (at least for someone wanting to be cold) and only driving with the windows down would help. This was with the CC car even set to LO (with A/C turned off) as well as my Mondeo with CC (A/C turned off) and the non-AC Scorpio. On my old Mercs and Volvos, you would always get ambient temperature air into at least the centre facia outlets instantly. Vents down at the feet also gave cool air, but these weren't operated by the fan, only during speed did pressure force air inside the car.

Another irritating point about the Fords is that 1) the fan must run to get air into the cabin (which means it cannot be fully shut off) and b) speed has almost no impact on the amount of air getting inside. Most cars will give a good blast with the fan fully off when doing 40 mph or more - increasing with the speed of the vehicle.

Then again, no car is perfect, and there are bigger worries to be concerned about Wink And on the Fords, the issue is dealth with as long as the car as A/C.
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #33 on: Jun 14th, 2010, 10:14pm »

Interesting! I've never had the fan on pos 3, it's too much! And I'm pretty sure air does get in with the fan off but if going fast enough, like 50.

Can still be a bit warm for two reasons, either heater not completely off or, sunshine has heated up the metalwork around the intakes. Then it needs a bit of use to get some air blowing through to cool it down.

Not forgetting of course, if the outside air isn't cold, it ain't going to be cold inside Grin

IP Logged

Mike H
faffi

Two-wheeled cornering

View Profile

« Reply #34 on: Jun 14th, 2010, 11:02pm »

On my 2.3 Scorpio and my Mondeo, the fans will not go off completely - it would be interesting to hear if others have noticed this. Set the fan to off and put the ignition on - does the fan turn slowly and can you feel air coming out of the vents?

On a day with 15C, the air coming into an old Volvo is pretty cold, like setting your AC to 16 degrees and then some. I never got that from the Scopios, not even after driving for hours. And Volvos have big black dashboards, too, and it never took long to get fresh, cool air inside through the vents.

If it wasn't for the fact that 3 Scorpios and one Mondeo has proved the same, I would have thought it was just my car that was faulty. But for whatever reason, Ford has decided to take in air in a low-pressure zone that require the fan to be moving in order to get the air flowing.
IP Logged
Stixy

I should know better

View Profile

« Reply #35 on: Jun 14th, 2010, 11:39pm »

All Fords from aprox 1990 the fan still runs at a low speed even when the fan switch is off and only shuts off completly when the vents are closed via the air distribution knob  its to maintain minimum "airflow" through the car .  

But hot air all the time could mean the climate control needs a reset or in the case of manual heater controls the cable can somtimes slip off the heat flap on the heater box .

Another posibility is the polen filters could be blocked restricting airflow  

on some older non Ford cars the faster you go the more waft you get but Ford heater / ventilators for as long as i can remember have never done that  even dating back to mk4 Zodiac's  mk3 Cortina's and Sierra's and of course mk1/2/3  Granada's
IP Logged
faffi

Two-wheeled cornering

View Profile

« Reply #36 on: Jun 15th, 2010, 7:02am »

By hot I do not mean like full heater hot, I mean warmer than the outside air. So let's say it's winter and freezing, you can feel the sting being taken out of the air. And on a sunny but cool spring day, when the sun is making the car interior hot despite the outside temp being less so, you want that crispness from the outside air yet cannot get it. And the warmer it gets, the worse it is to have this bit of heating. It's a big difference to get air inside that is 25C instead of 32C.

IP Logged
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

« Reply #37 on: Jun 15th, 2010, 7:12am »

Could it be related to the fact that the Scorpio doesn't have a valve to the heater matrix inlet?
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #38 on: Jun 16th, 2010, 8:59pm »

on Jun 14th, 2010, 11:39pm, Stixy wrote:
All Fords from aprox 1990 the fan still runs at a low speed even when the fan switch is off and only shuts off completly when the vents are closed via the air distribution knob  its to maintain minimum "airflow" through the car .  

Ah yes does say in the handbook to put the fan completely off the distribution knob has to be fully anticlockwise. Does work, I can hear the switch.

IP Logged

Mike H
Stixy

I should know better

View Profile

« Reply #39 on: Jun 16th, 2010, 10:44pm »

If it gets too hot inside the car i wind my window down Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.