Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 3:31pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Rear Hub Again »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Rear Hub Again
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rear Hub Again  (Read 974 times)
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

Rear Hub Again
« on: Jun 26th, 2010, 5:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

On the way to work Friday, 'whoom-whoom' was from the rear, jacked the car up at the offending side, this time the N/S, bearing had no playHuh   Took a chance at buying a new bearing for £30 quid complete with new NUT.   Stripped off old bearing and it was goosed!   (It was also a plastic-caged one)   Fitted new 'Fag' bearing pressed it all together, 'hunky-dory'.   Took an hour.   Yet again I checked the ABS sensor, and it was very 'claggy' again after only a couple of months.   Managed to use old hub this time.   Both rear bearings done now, quite happy.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

Re: Rear Hub Again
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26th, 2010, 9:41pm »

These do seem to be a weak point on the Scorpio.

I had my Mk3 Granada for about 5 1/2 yrs and never once had to replace a rear wheel bearing - same parts.

The same parts are also used on Sierras with rear disc brakes and you hardly ever hear about failure on the Sierra forums.  

My own theory is that on a car the size & weight of a Scorpio a 5-stud wheel fixing distributes the load better than 4-studs...I may be wrong but has anyone else got another theory Huh
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jun 27th, 2010, 2:32am »

I agree with Scorpio_Mike in that the Scorpio is too heavy a car to have 4 stud wheels. The Granada was always the biggest & heaviest of the Ford range & therefore always had 5 stud wheels. Why they put 4 studs on the Scorpio is anyones guess Huh

Maybe it was for money saving purposes in the production of wheel fitments, as almost all Fords at the time seem to have a 4 stud 108 PCD ?. The only two that were different were the Galaxy with a 5 stud 112 PCD (same as Granada) & the Probe with a very strange 5 stud 114 PCD  Undecided

I'm not entirely sure, but are the wheel bearings on the Scorpio the same as the last Granada predecessor ?....If so, then would it not be possible to fit Granada 5 stud 112 PCD hubs to the Scorp & be able to use 5 stud wheels ?  Smiley

I've got a set of 14" Penta alloys on my MK1 Granny & they look the nuts, but the thought of being able to fit a set of 16" Penta alloys with 225/50/16 tyres to the Scorp seems mouth watering  Cheesy......could it become a reality ?  Smiley
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 27th, 2010, 1:28pm »

JC.
They are indeed the same bearings,the hub nuts were handed of course and much bigger O/D.As long as the hub splines and distances are compatible I would think you could fit 5 studs.Will look in the maze,I reckon there are some old Granada driveshafts lurking somewhere !
                                       GOZZ.

IP Logged
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 27th, 2010, 7:02pm »

the hubs should be the same, last year at harewood there was a mk3 with 4 studs and 12 spoke wheels off a scorpio
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jun 27th, 2010, 9:24pm »

on Jun 27th, 2010, 7:02pm, Matt wrote:
the hubs should be the same, last year at harewood there was a mk3 with 4 studs and 12 spoke wheels off a scorpio

...and I've got a Sierra with 5-stud hubs Smiley - a gift from GOZZ

IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.