Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 9:19am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Diesel info please »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Diesel info please
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Diesel info please  (Read 601 times)
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

Diesel info please
« on: Jul 2nd, 2010, 8:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all. Im currently bidding on a diesel scorpio on e bay, but it's occured to me that i know nowt about diesels ( Ok i know nowt about a lot of things ). My main worry is that it's done 194,000 miles. I know the VM lumps are tough old units, but have slight reservations that i might be on borrowed time with that sort of mileage ? If anyone can give me some tips about what to look for / questions to ask with regards to diesels i would appreciate it. Cheers... Craig Smiley
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
goonerwill

I'm a YaBB newbie! 95 24v saloon

View Profile

Re: Diesel info please
« Reply #1 on: Jul 2nd, 2010, 9:35am »

Craig
The main thing to look for is the turbo kicking in at about 2200 revs . ask how old the alternator is as these seem to be a bit of a weakness  on the diesel .  

IP Logged

will
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 3rd, 2010, 1:15pm »

Thanks for the tips will. Taken on board m8. I have been doing a lot of searching on the VM diesel & am happy to say there are a lot of happy people with these engines fitted in their cars ( mostly Jeep ). Im even more intrested in the fact that these engines are very happy to run on vegetable oil Wink. I know a couple of members on here run on 'crisp & dry' with good reliability, so this will probably be the first thing i'll be looking into. After all Diesel is currently £1.18 per litre here in Birmingham. Aldi are selling a litre of veg oil for 89p...Bit of a no brainer really Wink. Should look quite intresting as well !!! Me, stood in a supermarket car park chucking in a couple of cases of 'fry up fuel'...Cant wait Smiley Smiley
IP Logged

tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 3rd, 2010, 2:29pm »

Works well probably if fuelfilters are changed often, if people would start doing this over here we'll soon have a law all veg oil priced less tan diesel needs to have red dye Smiley (the fine for running tractor diesel in a normal car is 10000 euros in Finland)
IP Logged
mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 5th, 2010, 3:55am »

194k is nothing on the VM engine and it'll happily run on anything oil based from waste veg oil, hydraulic oil, engine oil etc etc so long as its been filtered down to 1 micron. My last one did 70k in 2 years running entirely on homemade fuel the thing that killed it off was rust Sad
Theres no timing chains or belts to worry about and increasing the on-boost fueling (10 min job) lets you keep up with the modern tdci's.
Check for any water/oil leaks between the cylinder heads (it has 4) and also underneath where the engine mates to the gearbox as the rear engine oil seal can leak a bit and it drips out from there.
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jul 5th, 2010, 7:50am »

Thanks for that Maz. Im quite intrested in the 'on boost fueling ' mod. I did this on a mates 1.8 td mondeo & it made quite a differance Wink All it took was a small tweak to a hex nut on the injector pump Smiley Smiley. From 2000-4000 rpm it pulled like a V6 Smiley
IP Logged

mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jul 6th, 2010, 5:36am »

Its essentially the same Bosch VE pump (unless it had the Lucas one) all you do is take the top off the pump (2screws which hold the tps and 4 which hold the boost compensator cap on), rotate the small gear inside a whole turn clockwise and the eccentric control rod under the diaphragm about 90degrees clockwise to its maximum position.
With the pump top off its best to give the vacuum hose a good clean out as it gets full of crud which prevents the pump delivering extra fuel because it can't sense that the turbo has spun up.
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jul 6th, 2010, 1:17pm »

Thanks for that Maz Smiley . If you ever get 5 mins ( & the inclanation to do it ) you could always take a few piccys & post in the 'how to do' section Wink . Hopefully should have my new car in the next couple of weeks, so after a few cosmetic tweaks ( yeah i know... Cant leave nothing alone Smiley )i'll give it a go Wink
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.