Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 7:32am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Dark or light ash black? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Dark or light ash black?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Dark or light ash black?  (Read 561 times)
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

Dark or light ash black?
« on: Jul 12th, 2010, 9:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,

I was in the process of ordering "real" paint for a partial respray, and was offered two alternatives for V4 Ash Black 93. Their code (Akzo chart) FRD9047 was available in light or dark. Usually codes are uniquely mapped, but has the Ash Black become lighter or darker after a named year model? I have a slightly darker door from a 97 donor, but it may have been resprayed. They are too rare over here for me to tell a difference.  

Grateful for observations!
IP Logged
tonyboy

black2.924Vcoss ( No More )

Tony+Redden   Tony+Redden
View Profile WWW Email

Re: Dark or light ash black?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13th, 2010, 8:52pm »

I thought they just done the one shade of ash black........ Is your car a granada......
IP Logged

I think i'm going, erm what do you call it..... Senial.... Huh
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 13th, 2010, 11:28pm »

No, mine is a Scorpio. Ford called this colour 'Ash Black 93' base on year of introduction. Some charts specify their options covers 93-96. And now this chart giving two tones for the same colour, this is what confuses me.
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 14th, 2010, 2:14am »

I think I'm right in saying that even though two different cars may be considered to be exactly the same colour, the shade may differ ever so slightly, because two different batches of the same colour paint are not usually the exact identical shade. Also on metallics, difference in quality/thickness of the laquer does cause differences in paint shades  Smiley

I replaced both N/S doors on my 'mid atlantic blue' facelift Scorp last year (rusty/bubbling bottoms) with a perfect pair from another 'mid atlantic blue' facelift of the same year. But they are not a perfect match, in that the new doors are ever so slightly darker. Even a good T-cut won't blend them in perfectly.

To be honest though, no-one's ever noticed  Wink
IP Logged
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 14th, 2010, 7:26pm »

im sure i posted a reply on this topic yesterday Huh

anyway ill repost,

when i resprayed the front bumper on my old ash black, i found another problem, although i ordered the exact code for code, the paint on the car had green, red and silver metallic, but the new paint just had silver...
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jul 15th, 2010, 8:45am »

Correct me if im wrong, but Ford had different variations of the same colour for different models. I;E Aubergine on a fiesta is a bus ride away from the same shade on a scorpio !!! An old panel beater once told me the bigger the car the more the paint has in it ( metallic flake etc ). Also check that your car has the correct finish, as there are usually metallic & pearl variations of the same shade. It dosent get any better with clear coat finishes either. When i had the cossie re painted i found out there was 11 different shades of Diamond white !!!!! Why Ford why Huh
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jul 15th, 2010, 9:41am »

So typical, this is why my front left door looks like Panther Black (was it available?). I don't think this is a problem nowadays though, I've never had any problem in getting the right shade with any of the newer cars I've had which have needed paint jobs (E46, Audi A6, Passat, Ka), but these were done by a pro. And all of those were <2 years old when painted.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.