Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 1:22am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« starter motor »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   starter motor
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: starter motor  (Read 485 times)
tonysteele

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

starter motor
« on: Sep 5th, 2010, 9:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

i was wondering if anyone could please help or advise. i recently had problem with starter motor again, ie turned the key, click then nothing, some times with a bang or a jump start would start, but overall annoying as about 18 months ago had a new starter fitted.
anyway arranged for a new starter motor to be fitted, my mechanic could not get one from fords so fitted a Bosch.

he fitted it and gave it a couple of test all fine, paid him went to start up and no good, dead, same old click nothing ?

after a bit of head scratching and testing he said there appeared to be a problem with the cable and the starter motor. so he replaced it with my jump start cable?

not sure if there was no problem with the replaced starter motor or if this just happened, anyway two question one, he was not sure if the original cable had a resistor in it which just decided to give up and is the jumper cable ok to leave on or should i replace with a proper cable.

secondly although the car now starts fine i have noticed that since then the car does not seam to tick over properly, and keeps cutting out. most times when i come to traffic lights t junction etc, even when slowing down for a bend? really annoying as when the engine cuts out i loose power steering and it is a real bind trying to control the car and restart car, any ideas are the cable problem related or is it just a coincidence.

i love my car it is one of the best, is it just its coming to the end of the road, its still got about 7 months mot left, and other then a couple of boots on rear need replacing there is not much wrong with it and should hopefully pass another mot.

its only done 160000 miles, just running in, i believe it to be the Cologne engine, it is the v6 l reg auto estate.

irreplaceable, one of the last Granada Scorpio to be built  

any ideas  

thanks

tony
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

Re: starter motor
« Reply #1 on: Sep 5th, 2010, 11:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Regarding the cutting out,try substituting the throttle potentiometer,little black plastic unit at the front of the engine attached to the inner end of the throttle shaft by two small bolts and a lock plate.If your car is pre 1995 it will be a Granada 3,not generally catered for on this site,however the 12 valve engine is the same as early Scorpios,but with differing wiring looms.
The throttle pot is about £50 from Ford,so see if you can obtain a good used one first.
       Good luck GOZZ.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.