Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 11:18pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Has green flag made the car worse? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Has green flag made the car worse?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Has green flag made the car worse?  (Read 2177 times)
ALAN

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Has green flag made the car worse?
« on: Sep 10th, 2010, 7:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all, went out in car today, pulled into a busy road and car stopped, managed to get it started again then few minutes later it stopped again. I called green flag he came messed about a bit then disconnected battery and connected it again. Told me i need a pump as petrol not going through, then......... the immobiliser stopped working, so he said it might have not been working before so it could be that or the pump (he didnt check mob before connecting etc the battery). Would doing that to the battery cause the immobilser to stop working, any info helpful, thanks
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

Re: Has green flag madethe car worse?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10th, 2010, 8:55pm »

ALAN.
Which engine do you have ? the immobiliser on Scorps are passive,and operate immediately the key is removed,they seldom give trouble and can't be harmed by taking a battery lead off.If you listen down near the fuel tank whilst someone turns the key on and off, the pump is clearly audible,but it only operates for a couple of seconds until the engine is running,further to that you can feel the pressure in the inlet fuel pipe on the engine when the key is turned,it may even be seen to 'twitch' under pressure,rather like myself  Wink
          GOZZ.
IP Logged
ALAN

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Sep 10th, 2010, 9:44pm »

Thanks, i have 2.9, tow truck left car outside so i just tried to bring it into the drive and the car started 1st turn of the key, then stopped when i put it in neutral to put it into reverse.
IP Logged
tonyboy

black2.924Vcoss ( No More )

Tony+Redden   Tony+Redden
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 10th, 2010, 10:11pm »

Maybe a sticky throtle control valve or fuel cut off switch or vacuum leak..........
IP Logged

I think i'm going, erm what do you call it..... Senial.... Huh
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 10th, 2010, 10:27pm »

ALAN.
There are numerous reasons for your problem,the 12v throttle potentiometer on the front of the plenum is a weak point,a faulty pump relay,green and violet in the aux fuse box,and the engine looms break down badly causing the three signal wires in a shield which go from the distributor to the ECU to short together,thus passing duff information.Then of course it could simply be a coil wire on the N/S inner wing or something of that ilk.
                                          GOZZ.
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Sep 11th, 2010, 4:00am »

This may seem obviously simple....but have you checked that the small black lead on the battery neg is on nice & tight ?

If the immobiliser worked before Green Flag tampered with the battery, then maybe he hasn't done it up tight enough....or maybe even the bolt is threaded ?   Undecided

Just a thought   Smiley
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 11th, 2010, 7:53am »

Please confirm which engine you have 2.9 12 v or 2.9 24v cosworth....!

They are two completely different beasts!
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
ALAN

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Sep 11th, 2010, 11:05am »

Hi, i have a 2.9 24v cosworth, managed to get it into the drive this morning, just checking relay fuses at the min as the car starts but no petrol getting through so cuts out again, (missus says car would be gone if not for you guys and all the help im given) so thanks again.
IP Logged
ALAN

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Sep 11th, 2010, 12:43pm »

Just to let you know i have checked the relay for fuel pump one of the pins looked a bit discoulered so cleaned it up put it back in to check it found out that if i wiggled it about i can hear something clicking behind/beneath the drivers side headlight, is this another fuse. Also checked the inlet fuel pipe i can feel some pressure going through but not sure if its enough.
IP Logged
granorpio

1998 Silver Facelift Cosworth

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Sep 11th, 2010, 1:04pm »

This might have nothing to do with it but it's worth checking.
Check that the airpipe from the airflow meter is correctly seated. It can very easily become detached if pressed on accidently causing too much air to be drawn into the system and the car won't run. I had this as once when I accidently unknowingly knocked it.
IP Logged

- Mike -

So nearly said "goodbye" but now Scorpio will see another day, alongside the replacement! eek!
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 11th, 2010, 1:49pm »

Blocked fuel filter?  

IP Logged

Mike H
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

Re: Has green flag made the car worse?
« Reply #11 on: Sep 11th, 2010, 9:36pm »

ALAN.
Most of my last post is irrelevant to your 24v engine,it has no distributor or coil in the old sense,and the throttle pot is on top of the engine,the latter is more robust than the 12v and gives less trouble.
The 24v has three electrical units near the O/S headlight,EDIS module,cooling fan relay and solenoid for purging the fuel vapour canister,logically I would think that if anything in that area clicks via the pump relay,it would be that solenoid,though I haven't looked at wiring diagrams.A diagnostic scan may produce fault codes to point you in the right direction.
        GOZZ.
IP Logged
ALAN

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Sep 12th, 2010, 12:00am »

Just read through the faults page and was wondering if the relay on the fuel pump(green one) with it being discoulered bit brownish would this cause the problem of the car starting then stopping, also does anyone know where i can buy a diagnostic fault finder for this car halfords have one in for £140 but not sure if it is any good for this car, thanks for all the help.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Sep 12th, 2010, 8:25am »

Alan. The only way to get a full diagnostic test done is to use a main dealer...expensive...or find a local member who has the gear ie: a lap top and the correct connecting lead. If you put up your location on your profile you may be lucky and find someone nearby who'd be willing to help.  
Reading This page and the links on the left may give you an idea of what is involved.
I recently purchased one of These and I can tell you that it will read codes on our cars as we tried it out at the last Kent meet.  It does just that but of course the 'full' system is far more sophisticated.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
ALAN

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Sep 12th, 2010, 12:54pm »

Thanks, im in stoke on trent (have put it in profile) and would pay the right price if anyone could help. Had a mobile diagnostic from round here a few months ago but dont think he had a clue to be honest.I will purchase the diagnostic scanner so thanks again.
IP Logged
ALAN

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Sep 12th, 2010, 2:16pm »

Just tried car and it ran for 5 mins? fob not resetting either Huh
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Sep 12th, 2010, 2:55pm »

on Sep 11th, 2010, 12:43pm, ALAN wrote:
Just to let you know i have checked the relay for fuel pump one of the pins looked a bit discoulered so cleaned it up put it back in to check it found out that if i wiggled it about i can hear something clicking behind/beneath the drivers side headlight

What could doing that?

It all does sound like a bad electrical contact type of problem ~  intermittent ~ wet or corroded fuse box, shorting wires, loose / bad connections, etc. etc. (?)

IP Logged

Mike H
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Sep 13th, 2010, 1:11am »

on Sep 11th, 2010, 12:43pm, ALAN wrote:
Just to let you know i have checked the relay for fuel pump one of the pins looked a bit discoulered so cleaned it up put it back in to check it found out that if i wiggled it about i can hear something clicking behind/beneath the drivers side headlight

The only thing that clicks behind the drivers side headlamp is the (big green) fan relay. I doubt that wiggling the fuel pump relay would make the fan relay click.......unless maybe, you've got a wet fusebox ?   Undecided

Do you have a battery cover ?
IP Logged
ALAN

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Sep 13th, 2010, 1:53pm »

yes have battery cover, fan relay definately clicks when wiggled, thanks
IP Logged
ALAN

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Sep 14th, 2010, 9:15pm »

Hi, thanks for all the replys, but when do u think enoughs enough, spent fortunes on the car just bought complete stainless steel exhaust etc, but with the car now starting then cutting out then the fob wont restart, im being told im putting money down the drain........ trouble is when it goes its awsome to drive.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.