Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 1:21am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Newbie Question - Highest Mileage Car »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Newbie Question - Highest Mileage Car
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Newbie Question - Highest Mileage Car  (Read 588 times)
gadgetgricey

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Newbie Question - Highest Mileage Car
« on: Sep 14th, 2010, 5:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

On the look out for a Diesel estate, but getting concerned regarding the number of vehicles that are available for parts/spares.

Surely you would fix the car and keep it on the road, or when it gets to a certain mileage are the repair bills mega expensive. Is it just cheaper to cut and run.

Just concerned about spending "x" amount of money on a car that seems as though may be beyond economical repair after an additional x thousand miles, when something serious goes wrong.

Just looking for a bit of reassurance.  (Then again all the cars that are being broken, may make sourcing parts a little easier  Grin)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

- Dave -
IP Logged

On the look out for a TD Estate
tonyboy

black2.924Vcoss ( No More )

Tony+Redden   Tony+Redden
View Profile WWW Email

Re: Newbie Question - Highest Mileage Car
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14th, 2010, 5:52pm »

I suppose that there like a lot of cars, some go for 100,000 miles and you get some that can go for 250,000 miles depends how it's been kept and if your lucky enough to get a good un.
But i think if you are after a Scorpio in my experience you fix one thing then something else needs fixing. It seems a continuous circle. But other members will say there opinion. But they are a nice car.
IP Logged

I think i'm going, erm what do you call it..... Senial.... Huh
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 14th, 2010, 8:14pm »

i think its all a question of finance Dave.  

If you do your own work on the car and use second hands parts where possible then the Scorpio can be run fairly cheaply.  
If you use a garage and use new Ford parts then they can very quickly provide you with some uneconomical repair costs.

I've had four diesels which havent given too much bother, probably the biggest problem was a turbo failing and I fitted a spare one but if you go to Ford for a new  turbo it will bring tears to your eyes.

Estates are prone to chassis rusting at the rear end/suspension and its a major job to sort it.

Another estate problem is the rear shocks, they are at least £200 EACH new, many estates have been sold/scrapped because the owner can't justify £400-500 on rear shocks for a car that may not be worth much more than that.

IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

gadgetgricey

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Sep 14th, 2010, 10:06pm »

on Sep 14th, 2010, 8:14pm, Highlander wrote:

Another estate problem is the rear shocks, they are at least £200 EACH new, many estates have been sold/scrapped because the owner can't justify £400-500 on rear shocks for a car that may not be worth much more than that.

Thats another one to watch out for, aware of the gearbox issues and headgaskets but did not know about the rear shocks.  Shocked

- Dave -
IP Logged

On the look out for a TD Estate
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.