Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 11:12pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Alternator Or Battery »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Alternator Or Battery
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Alternator Or Battery  (Read 532 times)
Kenboy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Alternator Or Battery
« on: Oct 3rd, 2010, 7:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi can you help with this. I am unsure,  it is a Battery fault or Alternator is down the pan Its for my daughters car (Renault Scenic) and I guess the principal for testing is the same on all Vehicles But how do you test if its the Battery or alternator problem, There is no where open to tow the Vehicle to have it checked out (Sunday) but would be able to buy a battery.  My daughter desperately needs the car for work and long school run My question is. How would I know which one is at fault, just to add the car was running fine and she parked up for a moment only to find when switching on again, there was no response (Battery is flat as a pancake) I managed to jump start it and it fired up nicely but on switching on again (Zilch), checked all cells and appears to be ok I tried to charge the battery but it caused my charger to go a little haywire and I have assumed it will not take a charge. Your advice with this one would be greatly appreciated
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Alternator Or Battery
« Reply #1 on: Oct 3rd, 2010, 8:15am »

I'm no expert BUT the sudden total failure and the fact that your charger doesn't 'like' the battery would seem to indicate that the battery is u/s.  Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Kenboy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Oct 3rd, 2010, 1:28pm »

Yes you are right, My daughter informed me that she has a roadside recovery on her insurance, which I did not know at the time, I called them up and arrived amazingly quickly, about 20 minutes, he quickly established that the battery was indeed broken and that the Alternator was functioning as it should, I popped down to the local motorist shop and was able to purchase replacement battery for £39, with three year guarantee and all is well now.

Cheers Ken
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 3rd, 2010, 1:39pm »

Glad to hear you and the young lady are sorted. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.