Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 7:38am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Posting stuff »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Posting stuff
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Posting stuff  (Read 1391 times)
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Posting stuff
« on: Dec 25th, 2010, 4:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Could anyone advise (on experience) the best, most reliable parcel/courier company to use when posting parcels both in this country & abroad.

Royal Mail are no longer a consideration, as they have lost a few parcels in the past & have now lost two of three parcels I sent in November  Huh
IP Logged
lesterlad aka Rodders

2.3 Ghia x Estate (Manual)

View Profile Email

Re: Posting stuff
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25th, 2010, 9:56am »

After Royal Mail lost a parcel of mine I now use Interparcel for sending large and small parcels to Italy. (they don't use royal mail)
When you do a quote you will get a choice of courier that they use with various costs, you choose the one suitable for your requirements.
All you need to do is print out the address labels that they send to you by e-mail.  

I sent 6 largish boxes weighing a total 35kg for £80.00 (FedEx)and 1 very large box weighing 15kg for £35,(DPD) both consignments took 5 working days to get there.

Quote:
Interparcel have major accounts with the world's largest and most trusted courier companies. Thanks to our massive buying power we have secured huge discounts off their normal selling rates. This allows us to offer you some of the lowest courier prices in the country!

Interparcel > >   http://www.interparcel.com/
IP Logged

There's are methods to my madness!!! I'm not sure what the methods are but there's definitely madness in them
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 25th, 2010, 11:58am »

Interparcel appear to have dropped DHL as a choice,they were spot on,I tried to get a Transit bumper picked up from Doncaster the other day and had to opt for UPS without realising that I had to email a bar code to the sender,DHL didn't need that because the driver did everything at the door,the bumper is still in Doncaster !!
       Merry Christmas
         GOZZ.
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 25th, 2010, 8:25pm »

I used to use UK Next Day when I was doing customer repairs on Briarsfield, had no problems at all with them. Switched to Interparcel, works better now I'm doing all sales - a couple of ££ cheaper and their website is easier to use, you can see previous orders and store addresses etc, most times you can book before midday and get a collection in the afternoon.

About DHL, you've gotta be careful with them. Last parcel they delivered to us, the guy came in a Rover estate, no van anywhere Huh

Job sheet said two parcels to deliver to us, he could only find one. He goes out and tips everything out of the car all over the pavement, rummaging around for the other parcel Huh

I joked that I liked his van, he looks at me with a blank expression and says that a lot of them don't get a DHL van and use their own cars now Huh

I try and keep to UPS for more valuable/fragile stuff like amps and turntables, TNT or Citylink are fine on larger stuff like speakers, haven't yet had anything lost or broken.

Bruce Wink
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 27th, 2010, 9:03pm »

Cheers for the replies guys  Wink

Been looking around at a few & as well as 'Interparcel', 'Parcel To Go' seem quite reasonable as well...anyone ever used them ?  Smiley
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 27th, 2010, 11:05pm »

Interparcel and Parcel 2 Go are just agents for the big couriers (at only half the price)  

I've used Interparcel for many years, mainly the interparcel economy service which is cheap even for heavy items, (£8 for up to 40Kg I think) just print off the shipping labels and stick them on the parcel.

usually its UPS that collect for them here, the oddtime DHL.

Never had any problems with them, online tracking and almost always next day delivery on their 48 hour service

I did try the home delivery network twice through Parcel 2 Go, a couple of quid cheaper but that was a disaster as far as collection/delivery went.

IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Dec 28th, 2010, 12:43am »

Cheers Stuart....advice noted  Wink

I'll give 'Interparcel' a go then  Smiley

Just for the record....I'll let you into a little secret  Wink

I used to be a delivery driver for Parcel Force (Chelmsford depot) about 15 years ago & the way they used to unload the lorry every morning was frankly shocking  Shocked

The warehouse boys would split up into 2 groups...the throwers & the catchers. The throwers would go into the lorry trailer & start slinging parcels out the back of the lorry left right & centre, & the catchers.....well it's obvious what they had to do, & lets just say that a good few parcels used to hit the deck  Roll Eyes.  

'Fragile, handle with care' parcels weren't given any more consideration than any other parcel (I remember a case of Scotch whisky hitting the deck & they had to hose the depot down).

The catchers then threw all the parcels into cages for the delivery drivers to sort out.

Many a time I went out with parcels that were so damaged that I had to apologise to the customer (even though it wasn't my fault) about the state of it & asked them to open it while I was waiting, just to be sure that what was inside wasn't broken....& many a time, I returned to the depot with filled in complaint forms about the conditions of parcels....which was then added to a large pile of other complaint forms by a rather unconcerned depot manager  Roll Eyes

Not sure if Parcel Force have improved their way of doing things since, but from my experience 15 years ago (worked there for a year), I wouldn't have advised anyone to use them at the time  Wink

IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 28th, 2010, 9:19am »

Straight from the horse's mouth  Wink
IP Logged
lesterlad aka Rodders

2.3 Ghia x Estate (Manual)

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 28th, 2010, 11:46am »

on Dec 28th, 2010, 12:43am, Jonnycab wrote:

'Fragile, handle with care' parcels weren't given any more consideration than any other parcel (I remember a case of Scotch whisky hitting the deck & they had to hose the depot down).

Sacrilege, I would have been tempted to stand in the spillage area taking in the fumes with deep breaths.   Grin

I often wonder if Fragile or handle with care parcels get more consideration, ........a more experienced catcher or a smaller throw distance perhaps ?
IP Logged

There's are methods to my madness!!! I'm not sure what the methods are but there's definitely madness in them
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 28th, 2010, 12:17pm »

Jon, I've also used another company a couple of times for bigger stuff (car parts, giant 50kg loudspeakers Wink), it's a small family owned place somewhere oop north, I'll have to dig out an invoice to remember their website though Roll Eyes.

Again they're just a middleman for the couriers but their prices are good, the last time I used them they got me a set of 4 rims+tyres for the Jag shipped for £36 via TNT Wink

I tried Parcel2go once but the booking system had trouble understanding that I wanted the item collected from a customer at another address, phonecall and email to customer services went unanswered even though they started sending marketing stuff to my email so I didn't use them again Smiley

Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 28th, 2010, 7:32pm »

I sent an autobox through Interparcel recently, wouldnt have fancied being the "Catcher"  Grin
IP Logged

gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 28th, 2010, 7:45pm »

on Dec 28th, 2010, 11:46am, lesterlad aka Rodders wrote:

Sacrilege, I would have been tempted to stand in the spillage area taking in the fumes with deep breaths.   Grin

I often wonder if Fragile or handle with care parcels get more consideration, ........a more experienced catcher or a smaller throw distance perhaps ?

A retired Royal Mail inspector does a bit of driving for me,he advised me against putting 'fragile' on any parcel because certain members of staff would 'test' how fragile it was  Roll Eyes
       GOZZ.
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 29th, 2010, 9:44am »

The damage policy for these courier firms says that the parcel must be suitably wrapped to protect it from damage, if it gets damaged it wasnt suitably wrapped! Wink
IP Logged

solarpanel

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Dec 29th, 2010, 4:01pm »

we run two rounds for fedex in norfolk and we dont lose stuff
IP Logged
solarpanel

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Dec 29th, 2010, 4:04pm »

oh  fragile  thats eu slang for kick it lol
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Dec 30th, 2010, 1:46am »

Thanks for all advice guys  Wink

I decided to try Interparcel today to send a parcel to the Netherlands using Fedex. It's cheaper than Royal Mail/Parcel force equivalent, takes the same amount of time & I get a tracking number  Wink

Fingers crossed it will get there in good time & unscathed  Smiley
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 30th, 2010, 9:27am »

I've never had any problems with Interparcel going abroad either Jonny.

Norway, Russia, Estonia, USA, Canada, the Phillipines, no probs Smiley
IP Logged

Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 9th, 2011, 1:48pm »

on Dec 28th, 2010, 11:46am, lesterlad aka Rodders wrote:

LOL Grin
IP Logged

Mike H
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.