Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 5:22am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 2-3 16v head fitting advice »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   2-3 16v head fitting advice
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2-3 16v head fitting advice  (Read 491 times)
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

2-3 16v head fitting advice
« on: Jan 7th, 2011, 6:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

A bit of advice please, ive got a new head to fit, after fitting camshafts/followers etc. to it off the old one, i have done this car before, and someone did it before me, question is, which head gasket to fit, a genuine ford one, or an aftermarket one, and is it best to use hermitite or not?
Also because this time i have oil in the coolant, which has already desolved and blown one heater hose, what is the best way to flush the oil out of the system? any advice gratefully recieved,  
Thanks Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

Re: 2-3 16v head fitting advice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 8th, 2011, 10:55am »

In the past, and on older cars like my old Zodiac and on an old Triumph Pi that I have, I always put a smear of Hermetite on.    However, on more modern cars you shouldn't need Hermetite, mainly because the heads are more precisely made and mostly aluminium.   As far as gaskets go, you'll get what you pay for.   I'm out of touch with good manufacturers of gaskets, 'Payen' was one that I have used in the past with no problems.   It would be a shame if you used a cheap gasket and found it to be the problem!
I have just recently taken a 2.0ltr head off a brand-new 2.3ltr engine, and it had the Ford three-layer gasket with no sign of any paste.    
You should get a long steel-rule, and put it edge-on across the head and block, and whilst someone else is holding it, try to slip very thin feeler gauges under the edge of the rule, to see if the head and block is straight.
Depending how gungy the pipes are, you may have to replace them all!   Last thing you want is oil in the cooling system.   You can get flushing agents, still from Wynns I think, and Protek, about a fiver, there's even a demo on youtube for one of these products.   If your system is really gungy then you may have to repeat the flushing.

Peter
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 8th, 2011, 11:22am »

Many thanks for advice peter, think i'll replace all the hoses,+ flush. no hermitite on a new Ford gasket.
Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 8th, 2011, 8:57pm »

could i have some thoughts on the head bolts please, i know the bolts on mine have done two head gaskets already, total miles 153k, the info says fit new bolts and not to re-torque the old ones. how important is it to fit new bolts? cheers Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 8th, 2011, 9:25pm »

Much cheaper than another gasket failure ! they stretch when torqued and should not be re used.
           GOZZ.
IP Logged
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 9th, 2011, 11:32am »

Ah yes, I forgot that!  (Slaps back of hand)  Yes, you would be wise to fit new Head Bolts.   You can bet your erse it wasn't done before!
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 9th, 2011, 11:39am »

Thanks, guys it wasnt done before, i did it, (slaps back of own head) And thinking about it this may well be the reason the bolt hole oil way has split into the cooling system, will get new bolts! removing head now,
Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.