Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 4:27am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Windscreen Replacement on Insurance »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Windscreen Replacement on Insurance
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Windscreen Replacement on Insurance  (Read 676 times)
Moonchalk

2.3 Facelift Ultima  Born: Jan 98   Restored: 2023

View Profile

Windscreen Replacement on Insurance
« on: Jan 18th, 2011, 9:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Big 2 foot crack appeared in my windscreen at the weekend  - was probably weakened by the December freeze Sad

First time I've ever had a problem with Scorp glass over 10 years of owning and 5 cars - oh well - not a bad run.

About to ring and get it sorted on insurance, but wonder if anybody on here had any experience of same?

Guess I need to be pushy about getting like for like replacement - especially heated.

But what about the rear view mirror, for which there is a very permanent looking fixing on the inside of the screen and will replacement have the tint at the top do you think?

Also, I think I'm going to be fussy about glass quality. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that some cheaper autoglass can look rippled if you are looking through it from certain angles? - Never noticed this on Scorps though.

Love to hear any comments before I get this done.

Thanks,

mc
IP Logged
lesterlad aka Rodders

2.3 Ghia x Estate (Manual)

View Profile Email

Re: Windscreen Replacement on Insurance
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18th, 2011, 10:15pm »

When AutoGlass came to fit my screen the mirror fixing was already on the new one.
As I don't have the auto dipping mirror he had to remove said fitting by heating it slowly with a hair-dryer.
IP Logged

There's are methods to my madness!!! I'm not sure what the methods are but there's definitely madness in them
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 18th, 2011, 10:25pm »

The mirror pulls off with a sharp downward 'tug'. DO NOT attempt to pull towards the interior but keep it in line with the slope of the screen. The 'fitters' will remove the mount and replace it,toghether with the mirror when the new screen is in. I've had mine done by Autoglass,who seem to deal with all the major insurance companies and never had a problem. It should be replaced by exactly the same quality and style as the one on the car. In some cases the policy tells you to ring the nominated glass compny direct,give the policy number, and it just gets done!. There may be an excess to pay depending on the terms and type of the policy. In most comprehensive policies it is generally fully covered.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19th, 2011, 1:11am »

I had the screen replaced about a year ago on insurance (£50 excess) by Autoglass. I took it in first thing in the morning (they could have come round, but it would have been the next week) & they said it would only take about 30 minutes, but wouldn't be ready to drive for a couple of hours due to the glue having to set.....so I waited.

After half an hour, a fitter came into the waitng room & said...."Hmm, ere, right then.... the screen we've got appears to be the wrong one, as there is no mount for the dimming mirror. We can't get the right one until tomorrow, so could you bring it back again in the morning ?"  Roll Eyes

Back again early the next morning, this time they've got the correct screen  Cheesy....Waited 2 hours & I was on my way home with a new screen  Smiley

Although I had to go there twice & pay the insurance excess of £50, I wasn't too peed off as the old screen (apart from a full length crack) was so pitted it looked as though it had be grit blasted & only a few lines of the heated screen worked. I now had a nice clear & fully working heated screen  Cool..... Smiley

P.S....the new screen does have the tint at the top  Wink
IP Logged
Technology2005

Scorpio 2.0 Ultima x 2

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 19th, 2011, 8:26am »

I was "lucky" enough to have the screen smashed on the Scorpio last May and the replacement was on a like for like basis.

5 days later the local lowlife decided to smash it again.....

The car hadn't even been driven since the new screen was fitted!!!!

It took longer to get the second screen as they had trouble getting one quickly but it was again replaced with the correct heated screen. All the tint markings were correct and they also fitted the auto dipping mirror correctly so no complaints.

David
IP Logged
Chieftain

Mechanically Challenged with a 24V Cosworth

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: Jan 19th, 2011, 10:53am »

Autoglass did mine a few years ago £50 excess, very proffessional job left car as clean as possible with all the small bits of glass, ver good service.  As long as you use the company provided by insurer it is not expensive.
IP Logged

Bob

if it ain't broke fix it and it will be
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jan 19th, 2011, 6:09pm »

Autoglass did mine a couple of months ago - £60 excess, total bill was for around £340.
I had to accept one with a top-tint as they didn't have any without...not that I was too bothered  Grin
They did a very neat job too.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 27th, 2011, 5:24pm »

The non-dimming "manual" mirror base is attached with a square self adhesive pad originally. However ones that have fallen off may have been put back by gluing. How easy that comes off then depends what glue was used. If you're lucky, something like Bostik Grin

IP Logged

Mike H
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.