Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 5:22pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« REINFORCING THE 2-3 MANIFOLD, »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   REINFORCING THE 2-3 MANIFOLD,
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: REINFORCING THE 2-3 MANIFOLD,  (Read 504 times)
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

REINFORCING THE 2-3 MANIFOLD,
« on: Mar 6th, 2011, 5:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Having had two of these fail, I’ve been wondering what could be done to modify the stat housing, to make a good solid repair, rather than patch up the outside, I noticed that the stat housing will flex, even when pushing on a tight fitting heater hose, or tightening the 3 stat bolts! And with the worry it may fail and take the engine with it. I am wondering if it would be possible to turn a 1mill tight-ish fitting sleeve to fit full length inside the housing, with cut out for water flow to the head, and holes for the temp sensor. etc. I think that this would need to be bonded into place , (what adhesive?) And what metal to use? Brass, copper, or steel, bearing in mind the different expansion rates of Metal and the existing plastic? would this be relavant? i would think the entire sleeve would need to be bonded inside the housing to re-enforce it. perhaps with 1 mill.clearance  to allow for adhesive. hoping for thoughts please, it seems to me that a good few of these manifolds could be strengthened in this way, and more 2-3s kept going, So any ideas please guys, I will get my lathe ready. and test it on mine first,  
Thanks Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

Re: REINFORCING THE 2-3 MANIFOLD,
« Reply #1 on: Mar 6th, 2011, 7:14pm »

fit the 2.0 ally one with the twin throttal and pipe work  Wink
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re: REINFORCING THE 2-3 MANIFOLD,
« Reply #2 on: Mar 6th, 2011, 7:46pm »

I contemplated various ways of sleeving it possibly with a flange on for the stat cover to bolt to/bosses for the temp senders etc to bolt to. The idea being to effectively line it completely, but effectively sealing the shaped part where it bolts to the head was going to be tricky. Replacing the steel sleeve for the head fixing with a stainless one would certainly help as that causes cracks when it rusts but if it’s an old manifold this area remains a potential problem area with regard leaks, because the coolant will have eaten into the plastic.

I ended up moving the stat housing:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=disp lay;num=1226852611;start=0#0
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.