Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 11:16pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Jamming Sunroof »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Jamming Sunroof
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Jamming Sunroof  (Read 463 times)
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

Jamming Sunroof
« on: Apr 12th, 2011, 11:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

You know that the joint for the surrounding seal is on the back edge, well this is where it's mostly been "jamming up", being just a bit too "proud" and making it tough to fully retract (and slide) and I suspect this is the sort of problem most people have.

Last November (really was that long ago!) I was trying to retract it one time and it was so tight that one end of the seal started to peel off! So I thought I'd best leave it 'til the warmer weather the following year before messing with it any more Grin

Well finally got around to looking at it today and would you believe that actually it now retracts easier than it's ever done. Almost as though the (really small) loose flappy bit is making it easier by moving out of the way or something.

I was going to try gluing the bit back on or something but now I'm not sure whether to leave it if actually makes it work better - decisions decisions ....

Looking underneath it appears to be glued onto the metal frame, and the frame is a bit rusty at this point. So I'm guessing if the rust bubbles up this forces the seal outward thus making it tighter in the roof hole. Mostly just guessing at this stage

IP Logged

Mike H
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

Re: Jamming Sunroof
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12th, 2011, 11:41am »

Yes that's quite right Mike,they all go like that,the corrosion expands under the rubber and tightens things up,bloody nuisance  Sad
        GOZZ.
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 12th, 2011, 12:10pm »

So my surmise was correct, ta Grin

Only other possibility I can think of is sanding a bit off the outside to compensate (?)

I'll see how this goes for the time being, it's been alright over the last Winter so is still keeping the weather out

IP Logged

Mike H
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 12th, 2011, 9:15pm »

Hi Mike had the same problem with my sun roof, rust expanding it side ways, I put silicon grease over the seal to make it slide better. I think the water gets between the seal and the glass, when it pools on the roof, and rusts the groove it sits in, the seal that is. I hope if I put enough grease on it will keep the water out, so stopping it rusting. On my Granada scorpio it got so bad I had to change the sun roof.
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 14th, 2011, 2:20pm »

Yes that makes sense. Maybe apply a bead of something around where the seal meets the glass?

Anyway tried it again today, just in case I was imagining it Grin , still works, fink I'll leave it for the mo

IP Logged

Mike H
pedropedro

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Apr 14th, 2011, 3:33pm »

if youre careful you can slip the backside of a  blade under the rubber; working round the seal you can run some silicone grease into the space to make it watertight..BUTyou dont want to lift the seal too high as it wont reform after having been in one shape for 10 years...try a small section ....since i did mine a year ago i see, whenever its rained, a nice pool of water on the glass going nowhere...
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 14th, 2011, 4:37pm »

Ta for the suggestion Grin
IP Logged

Mike H
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.