Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 9:24am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Best engine oil for 2.3 auto? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Best engine oil for 2.3 auto?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Best engine oil for 2.3 auto?  (Read 651 times)
exaktaman

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Best engine oil for 2.3 auto?
« on: May 30th, 2011, 7:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello all, Need to do an oil change. I've always used GTX magnatec 10/40 on other cars I've owned.
Been advised that Halford 5/30 semi synthetic is good. What is the general concensus for the best oil to use with  80k on the clock? Oh, and I've been advised to get a Ford filter too.
Exaktaman
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: Best engine oil for 2.3 auto?
« Reply #1 on: May 30th, 2011, 7:27pm »

hi there

the 2.3 uses 5w-30 oil.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320549342743&am p;ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

hth
IP Logged
exaktaman

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: May 30th, 2011, 8:07pm »

Many thanks for the info 'scorpio-man'.
Exaktaman
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 30th, 2011, 8:20pm »

The advice re the filter really relates to a good quality filter. Some cheap ones do not,apparently, have a non return valve in them and thus all the oils drains down rather than some being retained and thus providing oil immediately the engine fires up.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: May 30th, 2011, 9:35pm »

I understand from Fram that they supply Ford with filters which are painted a different colour.The Fram number is PH5803,they cost three or four quid,don't forget that Halfords is a motorists outlet charging excessive prices for everything,they have the purchasing power,but they are a greedy outfit and get it both ways,they are OK for a fanbelt at 19.50 on a Friday night !!  
                 GOZZ.
IP Logged
josswallace

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 7th, 2011, 6:02pm »

I use castrol Magnetec fully synthetic 5w 30 in my 2.3 so I guess I am OK with this. If any one sees this who is really knowledgable about oils I have just bought a small petrol lawn mower that uses unleaded and the oil reccomended is Fuch's 5w 30 lawn mower oil. As I have stacks of the Castrol could I do the lawn mower engine any harm if I used this.
IP Logged
Malcolm73

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jun 7th, 2011, 9:58pm »

Good Evening Josswallace,
Firstly I am not a lawn mower expert. I am now long since retired and apart from owning cars, heavy goods vehicles, fork trucks etc., I presently own three mowers one of which is a 23 year old rear roller drive 21” Mountfield Emperor powered by a single cylinder Briggs and Stratton engine. The mower is used every week during the cutting season on three fairly big lawns. The recommended oil was Mountfield SAE 40. Oil is changed about three times a year. For much of the mower’s life Ford 5/30 has been used but for the past few years synthetic 5/30 goes into my 24V Ultima, and the Mounfield mower.

The Mountfield, many times repaired chassis is corroding away and the Briggs and Stratton has received new valve springs, the bore is worn, but it never fails to start. Whilst using the mower as a rough cutter on a field the engine stopped instantly, a piece of the aluminium chassis flew, heading in a northerly direction. The cause of the stoppage was a 3” diameter stone which had been cut in half. A cast iron mounting for the knife had cracked and the knife loosened which must have saved the engine.

In my opinion, provided you change the oil frequently, any good oil will do. If Fuchs is specific mower oil you will probably pay a premium price.

P.S. Having been in the metal business and considering increasing prices. If anyone finds the 2” square piece of my mower, last seen heading North towards Ayrshire could I please have it back, or has it already been sold with a few old Scorpios?

Regard, Malcolm73
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.