Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 5:23am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Headlights »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Headlights
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Headlights  (Read 1488 times)
retiredjames

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Headlights
« on: Aug 17th, 2011, 3:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Could anyone please give any advice on improving the headlights on a 1998 Facelift 2.3 Ultima.  
Look forward to hearing any suggestions.
James
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

Re: Headlights
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17th, 2011, 4:16pm »

Hi James,

Either cleaning the inside or fitting a new pair of lenses will make a huge difference..

I never really believed it would make that much difference until i tried it myself...

You could also fit some of these new fancy bulbs?
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Aug 17th, 2011, 7:36pm »

Just changing the bulbs can make a huge difference.
Look into getting some Xenon bulbs which give a more blue/white light rather than the standard yellow/white light.  
They are a straight swap, no need to alter any wiring.
Very cheap upgrade.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
5stud

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Aug 17th, 2011, 10:18pm »

just fited a hid  h4kit on the explorer well worth the £35 but over the last few days they have gone up to £40
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 18th, 2011, 10:06am »

Isn't there going to be an issue with these kits next year when the MOT's change?
IP Logged

bonnietiler

Sense of humour .... Essential!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Aug 18th, 2011, 11:01am »

Technically, cars have to have either have a self levelling headlight system or self levelling suspension and headlight washers.
I believe that next year, these items will be checked at MOT time.
Not worth the effort really, good bright modern bulbs offer a superb improvement on those old "glow-worms" that you have that were probably in the car when new.
Brian
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Aug 18th, 2011, 3:48pm »

on Aug 18th, 2011, 10:06am, Highlander wrote:
Isn't there going to be an issue with these kits next year when the MOT's change?

Agreed.  
As I understand it, for these HID kits to be legal, car has to have :
Self levelling rear suspension
Headlamp washers
AND
Headlight lenses must have the correct 'E' Mark...

...which basically means they will be outlawed unless fitted as manufacturers original equipment.

It's somewhere on the DVLA site I think under the 'Construction & Use' rules.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 18th, 2011, 4:13pm »

Baz posted it all up here when it first came out.

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=admin;action=dis play;num=1313680438
IP Logged

martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Aug 18th, 2011, 5:03pm »

I expect some sort of about turn on most of that article, we have had no official notification (special notice) yet, the introduction of suitable h/lamp beam testers for HID (oe or otherwise) has been shelved. As with all things (VOSA) the would have to train ALL NT's, AE's ect befor such radical changes, dont forget you can be a tester without any form of Automotive qualification, all you have to do is pass the multiple choice test, my son passed that when he was 13.
at the moment the only things that we have been informed of are testers for tow bar sockets & leak test fluid for checking LPG systems.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 18th, 2011, 7:21pm »

Ok the law regarding HOD Headlamps is:-

The fitting of aftermarket HID lamps is NOT legalunless the whole headlamp unit is replaced with a unit that is covered under the European Whole Vehicle Type Approval (EWVTA). That would have to include the self leveling suspension and headlamp washers.
NO One yet manufactures these and even if you re-engineer the car you will not be able to get the EWVTA in retrospect.  
They are NOT permitted even on NEW cars under the UK regulations as they stand, BUT they are under EC regulations, which take precedence.  

Full details are of the DFT web site http://www2.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps.html

I hope that helps clarify the situation.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
5stud

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Aug 19th, 2011, 12:17am »

askted my mot man to put the explorer on his new beam tester and he sead exactly the same will he give it a mot yes  no problem   on Aug 18th, 2011, 5:03pm, martin_rowe wrote:
I expect some sort of about turn on most of that article, we have had no official notification (special notice) yet, the introduction of suitable h/lamp beam testers for HID (oe or otherwise) has been shelved. As with all things (VOSA) the would have to train ALL NT's, AE's ect befor such radical changes, dont forget you can be a tester without any form of Automotive qualification, all you have to do is pass the multiple choice test, my son passed that when he was 13.
at the moment the only things that we have been informed of are testers for tow bar sockets & leak test fluid for checking LPG systems.

IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 19th, 2011, 1:45pm »

on Aug 17th, 2011, 3:20pm, retiredjames wrote:
Could anyone please give any advice on improving the headlights on a 1998 Facelift 2.3 Ultima.  
Look forward to hearing any suggestions.
James

I presume you mean "make brighter" ~ dip is a bit cr@p IMO, but then adjustment of the cut-off is critical so can't do much with it in terms of increasing forward visibility without dazzling oncoming drivers (I've already experimented with this). Main illuminates MUCH further but of course you can't drive around like that all the time Grin

I think most of the time it's just too many other bright lights, getting your own brighter lights won't help. Given a pitch dark road on your own, there's no problem. Grin

If you're thinking of "upgrading" see here, especially 'Noncompliant' section

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H1_Lamp

As OEM standard H1 is used for both dip and main, I believe all 4 of them are on for main! That's 220 Watts....

PS: you're not confusing things with 'dim dip', i.e. what you get from the 1st position on the light switch, (viz, a reduced "dim dipped" Grin ) for otherwise what would normally be "sidelights only" ?

IP Logged

Mike H
retiredjames

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Aug 20th, 2011, 9:19am »

Many thanks to all who have contributed on this subject.  I do not do much night driving but when required to I find that on main beam the lighting not particularly bright and when dipping for oncoming traffic it is really poor.  This is on unlit country roads.  I think initially I will have a go at cleaning the lens when I have worked out how to remove it!  Perhaps someone could be so kind as to point me to the correct section detailing how to do this on the facelift model.
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Aug 20th, 2011, 9:37am »

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/headglass.htm

hth
IP Logged
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Aug 20th, 2011, 6:43pm »

Ive had the HID's fitted to my car for 2 and a bit years now and its gone through every mot with no worries, the car doesn't have levelling suspension or washers or even adjustable headlights (im working on the latter 2 lol)

until im told to take them out then they'll stop in
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Aug 22nd, 2011, 1:50pm »

The Scorpio lens + reflector configuration works perfectly with HID Kits. I have installed it on both of my running cars (i'm not from UK, but there is a similar law which states that headlamps should be temper with). I also have used this guide here to correctly aim the headlamps. The cutoff L line shape is perfect, and easy to precisely adjust. When i was at the local equivalent MOT the employee there took a measurement of the height of the beam patter to see if it's where it should. It concluded that the headlamps are correctly lined up.... and not tampered with  Smiley

Another word of advice, the so called HID lamps, Xenon, etc. that give a bluish light just gives the driver the sensation that he sees better. Making blue light is possible by adding a filtering coating which beside filtering the wavelengths of light it also creates an unwanted effect of attenuation. So if not converting to real HID it's best to buy a good (not chinese) normal light bulb, like for example Osram Silverstar (with a marketed +50% more light / - 50% less life). Also the color temperature rating should be around 4300 K, bulbs starting from 6500 K generate a more profound dazzling effect, also giving you problems when driving on wet asphalt, fog, rain, snow, etc.

IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
5stud

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Aug 24th, 2011, 8:35pm »

talk about inflation today ther up to £47.50 plus £3.95 post    on Aug 17th, 2011, 10:18pm, 5stud wrote:
just fited a hid  h4kit on the explorer well worth the £35 but over the last few days they have gone up to £40

IP Logged
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Aug 25th, 2011, 11:51am »

I believe i can supply you with a Full KIT (2x H1, 4300K Bulbs, + two ballasts + all needed cables and fixing bracket) at around ~42 GBP (37.5 GPB the KIT, ~2 GBP local shiping and another ~2 GBP RO-UK shippping), bought from here (Romania) and shipped to you (UK). If you are interested i can give you the exact price (i need to find exactly the shipping costs).
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
5stud

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Sep 23rd, 2011, 11:44am »

hade a look on ebay today the same seller is ofering the same kit fore £64 including postage.nearley 100% rise in 2 mounths Huh??on Aug 17th, 2011, 10:18pm, 5stud wrote:

IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Sep 23rd, 2011, 1:16pm »

For what it's worth, (just remembered) did you know, the sensitivity of your eyes to light input decreases with age. I think by the time you're 60 it reduces to one third what it was when you were 20, or something like that. Was mentioned on the radio a while back. Must admit I've noticed something like that in recent times. My uncle, now 82, "announced" a while back that's it, I'm not driving at night any more if I can possibly avoid it. I had cause to drive home in the dark last Saturday evening just after it had rained heavily and have to admit it wasn't easy. Thank gawd for cats eyes Grin

IP Logged

Mike H
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.