Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 4th, 2024, 1:17pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Radio Change ?. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Radio Change ?.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Radio Change ?.  (Read 1012 times)
pede

Facelift Scorpio 2.3 Ultima Saloon 1998. Cat D

View Profile Email

Radio Change ?.
« on: Dec 23rd, 2011, 12:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi All,  
Has anyone tried to fit a later Ford/Visteon 6000 RDS EON Cd/Radio (that looks like the 7000 series same on/off volume control knob)  into thier Scorpio Ultima, in place of the standard 7000 series Cassette/Radio.
It appears that the steering wheel control plug, that is situated between the speaker lead and the power lead at the back of the unit is slighly different. ( bigger )
Is it poosible to change that plug on my Scorpio for one that will accomodate the newer 6000 series CD/Radio.
If so would anyone know the part number for the slighly different size plug for the Radio steering wheel contols.
I do not want to have my pants pulled down, if I am forced to ask advice at my local Ford Dealer. Huh
             (Wishing All Scorpio Owners All The Best For 2012)[/b][b]
IP Logged
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

Re: Radio Change ?.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23rd, 2011, 1:44pm »

Hi mate

All the stereos from the 5000 to the 7000 RDS range are interchangeable and all work with the cd changer and steering controls
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
pede

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 23rd, 2011, 6:49pm »

Hi Matt,
Thanks for the swift reply, that info is not correct.  
There must have been some changes in the size of the plug that contols the steering contols on the newer 6000 RDS series CD/Radios.
I own one of the later facelift 98 Scorpio Ultimas Vin Code WL that is fitted with a 7000 RDS.  
I unfortunately have purchased a 6000 RDS with the same belief that you have, all of my cars leads fit into the 6000 RDS, except for the male plug that leads from the steering contol unfortunately for me this plug is smaller that the female socket on the back of the 6000 RDS unit I have purchased via eBay.
I think I may have misguidedly purchased a 6000 RDS CD/Radio from a Focus or something similar that is not compatible.(although its looks similar to the 7000 series with its on/off volume knob)
I will have to troll my local breakers after Christmas to try and find the correct plug, failing that I will be listing it back on eBay, and trying one of the earlier 6000 RDS series.
Thanks anyway. Great Site, Peter.
IP Logged
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 23rd, 2011, 8:20pm »

Peter

Thats news to me,  ive had all sorts of radios in my scorp, from the cheap and nasty 3000rds, all the way to the 7000rds, even had a 6006e and currently have a vnr 9000 fitted, all have been plug and play with no issue

Can you take a pic of it?  

Matt
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
pede

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 24th, 2011, 7:55pm »

Hi Matt,
I am not that clever on a computer.
I have sent the pictures I have obtained through eBay to you be email. I hope thats OK
Best Wishes Peter.
IP Logged
Stixy

I should know better

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Dec 24th, 2011, 8:53pm »

The power and speaker plugs are the same on all double din units but as you say the small yellow plug is different  and wont fit  also the remote control adaptor unit fitted above the drivers leg area is different and wont control a late 6000 or 6006e unit .

but look for a scrap focus and cut the other "remote"plug of that  and join it to the to remote wires wire colour isnt important as the late units sense a resistance to control remote functions also in the small yellow plug the white/green wire is from the vehicle speed sensor and controls the automatic volume adjust  .

You will also need the late type control unit from a mk2 Mondeo X reg >  earlier mondeos have the same unit as the Scorpio and this wont work the unit   the late unit has a white lable and the part number begins with " X "  and if you look in the unit all thats in there is a row of resisters  

This will work with all late type units inc the 6000 mp3
IP Logged
pede

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 26th, 2011, 11:15am »

Hi Stixy,
I was aware that I needed to change the steering wheel contol connector, but this contol unit sounds a bit daunting.
The late type contol unit you speak of, I imagine its an electical component/box, where in a X reg > Mondeo is it located.(or would it easier to buy it direct from Ford)  
Also where does it fit in relation to contolling the 6000 series in my Scorpio, is it inside the steering cowling or somewhere around the radio itself.
Thanks for the info, Regards, Peter.
IP Logged
Stixy

I should know better

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Dec 26th, 2011, 1:16pm »

The control unit is the same size shape  Plug fittings as the Scorpio unit and to fit it just unplug the Scorpio unit and plug this in  so "plug & play ".

On a Mondeo  they are located in the same place as they are on the Scorpio  
( they were only fitted to them GLX Ghia & Ghia X  models from late 99 until late 2001 mk2 only )
IP Logged
pede

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 26th, 2011, 10:39pm »

Hi Stixy,
Thanks for the swift reply and advice, I am sorry i may be a little thick, but that post did not clarify to me where this contol unit from a MK 2 X> Mondeo you advised needs changing is located, i would imagine this plug & play unit  
(control unit) fits onto the steering wheel radio controls, that are under the plastic cowling behind the steering wheel.  
Regards, Peter Huh.
IP Logged
Stixy

I should know better

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Dec 26th, 2011, 10:56pm »

Sorry my explanation im better at grunting and pointing than typing  Wink

What im on about is a black box module not the remote stalk controler

If you remove the soft trim between the pedals and lower dash and look up  the module is clipped to upper side of the lower dash support  a black plastic box aprox 2inches x 4 inches with the connector plug on the thin end lots of red/black wires  

On the Mondeo the module is in roughly the same place

IP Logged
pede

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 26th, 2011, 11:11pm »

Hi Stixy,
Thanks, will have a look tommorow to try and find it before going out to breakers.
Best wishes for 2012, Peter.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.