Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 4th, 2024, 7:21am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Ethanol in petrol!! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Ethanol in petrol!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Ethanol in petrol!!  (Read 1314 times)
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Ethanol in petrol!!
« on: Jan 3rd, 2012, 10:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I read recently that supermarkets now add up to 10% ethanol to petrol. i read this in a car enthusiasts mag, apparently if they add more than 10% they have to put up a sign to say so, According to the mag. in higher percentages it can be a bad thing in older cars, such as seal failure, and possibly other ways as well! i will see if i can find out more, but i never knew about it. anyone have any views or more onfo on this?
 cheers Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Ethanol in petrol!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 4th, 2012, 8:00am »

A Google search turned up This article which may help. Would appear to be 'progress'!  Huh.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 4th, 2012, 9:31am »

Its now normal practise to add Etanol to Petrol, think 10% is the limit, though SAAB did market a Bi fuel Ethanol car that would accept upto 15% Ethanol, but that never cought on, not many p[laces that sold the fuel either.
Adding Bio Diesel to normal Diesel also happens, but much over 7% content starts to cause problems with most of the common rail diesel systems, to the extent that we are now advised to test the fuel quality on every vehicle thats presented with a Diesel fault.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 4th, 2012, 2:00pm »

I read recently one opinion is ethanol added fuel gets more corrosive the older it gets, but just someone's opinion oft the Internet. It's corrosive to the flexible pipes by the way, unless they have a recent type rating standard.

IP Logged

Mike H
Tekno

Tenho Ruohoranta

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: Jan 4th, 2012, 11:30pm »

flexfuel cars can run RE85, which is 85% ethanol
IP Logged

1998 Ford Scorpio Ultima Estate 2.3i 16V
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 5th, 2012, 4:56am »

As far as I'm aware, ethanol (pure alcohol) is supposed to be the bio-fuel of the future.....completely organic & alot less harmful to the the environment than fossil fuels....

.....Trouble is, because ethanol is derived from sugar cane etc, then it will never be a fuel that is sold on the forecourts, simply because the world oil markets & the fuel producers (Saudi's etc) would never allow it  Sad  

They would rather dig it out of the ground than grow it out of the ground  Roll Eyes....& it keeps the governments in the safe knowledge that they can continue to tax us to death & make us feel guilty about polluting the planet at the same time.......HYPOCRITES !!!!  Tongue
IP Logged
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 5th, 2012, 8:09am »

You are SOOOO right Jonny.   The world has been capable of moving away from Oil to power vehicles for many years, but how many middle-eastern 'princes' would there be if the world didn't need Oil?    Wink
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 5th, 2012, 9:13am »

I worked in the Tate and Lyle factory in Silvertown. Ethanol was being produced towards the end of the eighties/early nineties, but even a factory that refines more than a million tonnes of sugar a year( the largest factory that does so), it and the rest of the worlds sugar producers cannot create anywhere near the levels required to run the worlds car population. Percentage wise it would be insignificant. Any fuels created to run motor vehicles, even water, would be taxed, there is no evading it.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jan 5th, 2012, 8:56pm »

on Jan 5th, 2012, 9:13am, lleewar wrote:

Any fuels created to run motor vehicles, even water, would be taxed, there is no evading it.

Will you never learn Lee !.. Grin  Jonnycab will be sure to latch on to this with a vengance!!  Cheesy Grin  He'd obviously had a bad night last night ( and a few snifters) now you've set him off again!!. Grin Grin Grin
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 5th, 2012, 9:09pm »

I say " bring it on". Haha Grin Grin Grin
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jan 5th, 2012, 9:34pm »

Grin
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 6th, 2012, 1:53pm »

Couple of nights ago I re-watched a Horizon prog I'd recorded, from 2008 ~ professor Brian Cox looking at what are the chances for nuclear fusion reactors even being possible, never mind meeting our future energy needs.

He was looking at various experimental sites & talking to the various scientists, one guy whose name I've forgotten spelled out the problem quite well.

The problem with fossil fuel (basically, solar power stored in fossilised plant material) is it's "too good", it has 1,000 times more energy than TNT or dynamite.

OK so they looked at a hyperthetical 25 years 'Brian Plan' (after Brian Cox) to change the world to alternative energy sources.

Can't remember the exact number details but it involves something like, for example:

A new nuclear fission power station built every 6 months for 25 years.

X thousands of wind turbines generators installed every year for 25 years.

2 solar panels per second installed for the next 25 years.

Problee more but can't remember.

By the way this will have to be a global effort, that is, every country in the world doing all the above for 25 years. What are the chances of organizing that? Cox said that in 2007 we spent more money on ring tones than we did on fusion research.

The numbers are just for the current world population, which will increase so you will have to account for that as well.

IP Logged

Mike H
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jan 6th, 2012, 2:01pm »

on Jan 5th, 2012, 8:56pm, Simmo wrote:

Will you never learn Lee !.. Grin  Jonnycab will be sure to latch on to this with a vengance!!  Cheesy Grin  He'd obviously had a bad night last night ( and a few snifters) now you've set him off again!!. Grin Grin Grin

It's okay, I'm cool now Wink........just gotta have a bit of a rant every now & then  Grin

.....Although  Roll Eyes.....If I may politely add  Wink.....In Brazil (second largest producers of ethanol after USA), all fuel is now 25% ethanol. Granted, Brazil is a vast country & therefore has alot of land to actually grow the amount of sugar cane required. If certain areas of various countries were used for mass growing of sugar cane, then ethanol production levels could eventually reach that of fossil fuels one day.......or a utopian idea ?  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.