Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 2nd, 2024, 12:16am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« What of the future? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   What of the future?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What of the future?  (Read 1526 times)
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

What of the future?
« on: Jan 18th, 2012, 4:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

We have fantastic cars that are special in so many ways, power, design, and reliability. Comfort, Shape, colour and extras, and back up from a brilliant club, But things are changing! Sadly, The price of blessed petrol. Is ruining my hobby, it’s great to have a car that is a hobby, But It’s getting to the stage where I have to justify where I can afford to go! Luckily I have two estates, one 2-3, and a 2-9, I had a 24v but that was a disaster off ebay, self inflicted by Lust! Destroyed by rust!
My 2-9 has been off the road for months, only done 84k and has Tan interior, it’s a lovely car, but probably would not sell, its green! Some on ebay are not selling! There is a silver one and it’s 24, but may not sell with the mileage, I would always be worried about whether the TSB. On cam chains had been done! So it’s difficult to know what to do for the best, my 2-3 is a silver 98, but has hubcaps! I could put some 12 spokes off the 12v, which does look nice highly polished! The only alternative is something boring with a small engine. The deciding factor for me will be M.O.T. next month.  If the 2-3 fails I will use the 12v, so I’m lucky there, but that is even thirstier, it’s a bummer being retired,
How you guys coping? Ro
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

Re: What of the future?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18th, 2012, 4:42pm »

I have a terrific 2.3.   It's all I need, I did think about getting a 24V saloon but the price of fuel and the fact that I can go blasting about on one of my Bikes at speed if I want  made me put on my sensible head.   I have brand-new looking recently powder coated 12 spokes, and a set of steel wheels with wheel trims for the winter.   My Ultima now has all the extras, Ford wood steering wheel, and gear selector, (but not the wooden radio surround......yuk)    Rear parking sensors, all the electrics work including the heated windscreen washers, only thing not electric is the sunroof because I converted it to manual.   It has a full Stainless-Steel exhaust system including the flexi, and I have a mate making-up an SS cat.   I've got a shed full of new and used spares including a whole 2.3 brand-new block (which I don't really want) a 2.0 ltr head complete with both manifolds and throttle-bodies and only today I have received a new par of front wishbones from Germany.   My car is completely rust-free, and I don't know why!   I put it on the ramp at my work regularly, (I'm a college lecturer, and have access to the M/V department) the only work that now needs doing is the wishbones, and the rear discs and pads.   The underneath is virtually rust-free as well, with surface rust being wire-brushed away each year and black paint being applied.   I suppose the air-con could do with a re-gas, but I live very North Scotland so hardly need it although use it regular.   I really didn't think I'd get so attached to the car, I drive it quite hard because there are great open roads up here with not so many cops.   I think the car thrives on getting thrashed now and again, I regularly have it sitting at 80-90 mph over long distance, and have seen 120 mph quite a few times.   I have seen an indicated 130 mph, but that is only 124 according to the Sat-Nav, I reckon it would maybe get to a true 130 mph but I haven't done that yet.   Now done 102 thousand, I can't see me getting rid of this car, it's great.   I normally get about 25 mpg, but can get 28 mpg on a 'slow' week!   Have had 32 mpg on a distance.

Great cars.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Jeff

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 18th, 2012, 8:19pm »

I have only 24V versions. My original estate is no longer used and has had a mouse living in the glove box and nibbling the leather, so although it was working when I snapped up my favourite one, it is now permanently retired. Then along came a 75k miler aubergine with pumice interior which is the best car I've ever had. It has an intermittent gearbox fault (suddenly loses drive, throttle wangs open, but then re-engages usually almost straight away - any suggestions??) and needs a new rear bumper (anyone near Woking?). Driver's door is dented, and I bent the front wing by jacking it carelessly, but the car remains my bestest one ever in the whole wide world.
Then, I bought that silver one that came up on Piston Heads about 6 months ago, again only 75k miles. I didn't particularly like it in silver with black leather, but the guy wanted shot and accepted my offer which was a third off what he was asking (1500). I think we both got a fair deal. It's been faultless ever since until last week when the rear handbrake decided to seize up 5 minutes before the MOT. Ok, maybe it was already seized.
All my 24 valvers have clattery chains at start up, but they seem to be OK in spite of this. I had the heater done by FMD on the expired estate, cost best part of a grand, so intend to salvage the matrix out of that baby one day.
I agree with PJ they are indeed great cars and I just cannot justify buying anything newer - and thus a load of extra money, as invariably they seem inferior to what we already have. However they are ugly in spite of looking better (from the front) these days. Came out of a shop the other day and was looking at it as I walked towards it from a slightly lower elevation and I thought it looked really modern. Not sure what was going on at the back though. They probably put it into production before the designers had finished sorting it.
I get about 25 mpg average so that's OK: I wince more at the road tax.
The problem for me is, like the advert 30 years ago for a new Jag, with a garage door half open revealing a then-old series 1, 'whatever next?'. I think the answer to that has to be perhaps a Lexus or, a new Jaguar XJ.
Hence the Scorp stays!
IP Logged

2.9 Cosworth saloon and 2.3 saloon
exaktaman

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 18th, 2012, 9:02pm »

I have the 2.3 Ultima with 86,000 miles on the clock. Aubergine (Samakand?) with Pumice interior; everything works except Temp. Gauge and Clock Light.
The gearbox has a slip between 2nd & 3rd in fact it has been like that since I bought it almost 3 years ago. I have learned to live with it through driving technique and it rarely catches me out now.
Like most of us I suppose, I've looked at 'more economical little motors' but always come to the conclusion that they are just not in the same league as the Ultima.
I get about 25 mpg locally and 34 on a long run so I suppose I shouldn't grumble.
The only thing that lets the car down is the dreaded rusting rear wheel arches. If I could find someone who is willing and able to sort that I would get it done.  They are truly a lovely car in terms of comfort and a shear pleasure to drive.
IP Logged
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 18th, 2012, 9:46pm »

I must say I am not disappointed with the power of the 2-3 even fully loaded, rattle when cold, but it has done 157K, I did have a 2-0 which felt underpowered, I have had most of the Ford estates from Mk1 Mk2, Granadas, my last 24v but one was a Hatchback that was a BOA motor, but it only overheated once, that was it! I miss some of the toys on my base model; I still enjoy the car,  sounds as if your car is really up together PJ, lot of work but it pays off in the long run, mine also does around 25mpg, maximum 31, but when I think the amount of things my car has carried, with roofrack, I shouldn’t complain, the trouble is iv’e been spoilt, I also have trouble with rust around the back end, and had a shock when I first got it, the chassis was rusted through drivers side over the rear axle, I had to make a metal shoe to fit round the damage, from a metpost socket, and get it welded, I would like to get the car up together, but come m.o.t time , I suspect I’ll have a long list! It’s nice to read about your cars guys, I also like the Jags Jeff, they were my sort of car in the early days, I had Mk1. Mk2. S type,Mk10. XJ6,  Personally not so sure on the later models, I certainly could not use the roof rack as much, I didn’t need that so much then, I guess I won’t in future anyway,
I did a lot of work on the jags, Mk10 triple carb. motor in a Mk2! Now I think what the hell did I do that for! Lol
It’s nice to hear there are lower mileage Scorps about, that is the way to go if poss, the 24v ebay buy was 100k but absolutely rotted out, I think the tide came in, in Wales and got that one, I don’t know if it is worth looking for a 2-0 litre, as I can’t see it being that much better on fuel, but I don’t know.  
Ro
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 18th, 2012, 10:27pm »

The 2.0 ltr is a very nice 'low-down' car.   It does the job if you just want a Scorpio to drive because it's a nice car,   It would need to be a 16V though, not an old 8V.    

You talk about old Jags........... I had an old 3.8 Mk10, many years ago, triple 2 inch SU carbs, used to tune it by using 'petroflex' plugged into my ears and listening to the induction through the bell-mouths.   The same pitch for the Carbs was essential.   Best Jag I owned was an XJ6 1969 LWB 4.2 with a proper fitted coach-line along the side.   The ONLY XJ jag of that era that had the fitted coach line was the 5.3 V12.   Mine was rare.   I've in the past had a modern 4.0 litre S Type, not half the car it should be, nice to drive and comfortable, but there's just something not right about it.   I just look back to one or two of my old Fords, like the Zodiac..........I loved them!
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 19th, 2012, 1:25am »

on Jan 18th, 2012, 10:27pm, PJDavis wrote:
The 2.0 ltr is a very nice 'low-down' car.   It does the job if you just want a Scorpio to drive because it's a nice car,   It would need to be a 16V though, not an old 8V.    

I agree. Nicest car to drive that I've ever had, and I've had 2 Be-Emms, albeit 1980's ones.

Jeff, the sticking handbrake adjuster is a common gremlin, "they all do that" Grin Not the end of the world by a long shot.

As it sez on this here front page the Scorpio was originally created to encroach company execs & salemen types away from BMW & Mercedes ~ I've mentioned this before, but my mechanic mate is a Mercedes nut but he doesn't like the new ones, he thinks they're rubbish. In fact he thinks the quality's dropping on the lot of them, BMW's, Jags, whatever. Ain't like they used to be he reckons.

At the mo I reckon anything I replace mine with will be a step-down, considering. Most likely a Mondeo, bearing in mind where I live, or might have to be smaller, most parking spaces being the size they are now.

So at the mo I'm thinking keep it going as long as poss, pay for the petrol, or don't go out!

I have noticed my route choice has changed considerably, I'm usually preferring A roads and suchlike, but the Scorp is a motorway eater and that's where the fuel economy is best, so now I usually go looking for motorways to use when planning a route anywhere. Or at least dual carriageways or decent A roads.

IP Logged

Mike H
Toriitom

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jan 19th, 2012, 9:13pm »

I have a 2.0L estate. Smiley

It was a very nice car. Wink

I did enjoy driving it. Cheesy

Now it sits rotting away. Angry

So much for idle promises. Cry
IP Logged

Current Collection
M Reg Ford Scorpio Estate
M Reg Ford Transit 12-seat Bus
G Reg Nissan Terrano R3m
1992 Ford Sierra Estate 1.8L (Donor 4 Kit-car)
1990 Toyota Corolla Estate 4WD
Robin Hood 2B K
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 19th, 2012, 9:25pm »

Quote:

Thinking about it the one i owned for a while was the 8v and it was lacking a bit, it blew a core plug out of the rear of the head, not a difficult job really, iv'e done a few now, wish i had a garage,
i may give a 16v 2-0 a go if i find a low miler one,  
I really missed the 24v hatch, which had a cosworth bodykit, and a modified boot spoiler with brake light on.  
looked great, a different dark green, but the bonnet started to peel, after i scrapped that one, i wanted something a bit sporty, think its an age thing, so i bought a Mazda RX7, which is twin turbo, i had that for 6 years, very low car. had the engine rebuilt, That was the fastest car i ever had, when turbo 2 kicks in its best to make sure your not on a bend! they will give a TVR a run, also Porsche, very close to a Elise up to a 100, but i bottled it, i had the mazda for 6 years, but build quality was very poor, you wouldnt want to be in one of them in a side on smash, but it was an experience, as i said ive been spoilt, what decides the future for my 2-3 is the m.o.t.  
Ro
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Technology2005

Scorpio 2.0 Ultima x 2

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Feb 21st, 2012, 8:52pm »

on Jan 18th, 2012, 8:19pm, Jeff wrote:
It has an intermittent gearbox fault (suddenly loses drive, throttle wangs open, but then re-engages usually almost straight away - any suggestions??)

I had a similar issue with one of my Scorpios which (on mine) occurred when the car got wet underneath. Turned out to be a faulty Transmission Range Switch:

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Problems;action= display;num=1286281750

David
IP Logged
Jeff

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Feb 21st, 2012, 10:06pm »

Hmmm...interesting, thank you for the comment. I shall make some enquiries, would like to put the problem right.
IP Logged

2.9 Cosworth saloon and 2.3 saloon
whentostop

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 22nd, 2012, 7:38pm »

on Feb 21st, 2012, 8:52pm, Technology2005 wrote:

I had a similar issue with one of my Scorpios which (on mine) occurred when the car got wet underneath. Turned out to be a faulty Transmission Range Switch:

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Problems;action= display;num=1286281750

David

I had the same symptoms as you describe - in my case it was a crumbling gearbox loom - very similar to the engine loom problems (Cosworth)
IP Logged

97 Black 24v Estate
97 Black 24v Saloon
94 Blue 24v Granada Estate
94 Blue 12v Granada Estate
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Sep 23rd, 2012, 2:51pm »

I owned a few 24v's over a period of about 8 years..... all facelift cars and all S regJune manufacture. My last one went about 4 years ago now partly due to the cost of fuel (and doing 18mpg around town is a real killer).... Parts are getting amazingly scarce and are comanding premium prices so for a car that at best is worth less then a grand it wasn't worth the problems.

Now on my 3rd S Class Merc and can't fault it. 3.0 litre diesel and capable of 44+mpg on a run
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.