Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 11:25pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« sunroof sticking »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   sunroof sticking
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: sunroof sticking  (Read 1121 times)
micky5

Essex Scorpio man

View Profile

sunroof sticking
« on: Feb 15th, 2012, 10:22am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, i have just this morning tried to open the sunroof on my beloved scorp., only to find its not opening, only starts to slide back then clicks..... is it jammed or worse the motor knac*****d.... .. and is there an easy way to sort it out,  

thank you in advance

Micky
IP Logged

Bakers make it rise more often,lol
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: sunroof sticking
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15th, 2012, 12:14pm »

Have a look at the first three links on This page  Does sound as if the motor may have stripped its cog. Should be plenty of spares about on the site. Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 17th, 2012, 10:35pm »

The sunroof rusts around the groove that the seal sits in, this makes it slightly bigger and it is harder to move. I had to remove lots of loose rust to get mine working again, with new motor as old one had the plastic gear stripped of teeth.
IP Logged
micky5

Essex Scorpio man

View Profile

Re: sunroof sticking update
« Reply #3 on: Mar 8th, 2012, 2:24pm »

i have seen that the cogs are worn on my sunroof motor,  any idea,s how much they cost to replace, i have breakers near me but no one has a motor in stock, and i ai,nt going near ford dealers, lol

thanks in advance: Micky
IP Logged

Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 8th, 2012, 4:23pm »

You say "slides part way then gets stuck", I assumed this meant it went down through the roof hole OK, or doesn't it actually? Cause of failing to do that as already mentioned....

Not tried it but possible could CAREFULLY rub down the foam seal surround a bit so it goes through easier? Maybe.....

I fouind on mine the centre join of the seal at the back gives the most trouble, snagging on the roof edge, presume this is where the metal rim is most likely rusted the most.

However as I have manual winder means I can close it from slid open position (opposite to tilt) then back it off slightly so it's slightly depressed in the roof hole so keeps its shape better ~ if you see what I mean

IP Logged

Mike H
micky5

Essex Scorpio man

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 8th, 2012, 4:39pm »

It actually just tilts back and down as it goes into open mode, then stops and clicks..... it does,nt go into up mode either,,... i have tried spraying the runners etc with oil and WD40, but its not helped any more movement at all......i was going to try to push it back but did,nt have any luck there either
IP Logged

a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 8th, 2012, 9:41pm »

A Mondeo gear will fit, I have one in mine. You will need to freeup the roof before fitting.
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 9th, 2012, 1:49pm »

on Mar 8th, 2012, 4:39pm, micky5 wrote:
It actually just tilts back and down as it goes into open mode, then stops and clicks..... it does,nt go into up mode either,,... i have tried spraying the runners etc with oil and WD40, but its not helped any more movement at all......i was going to try to push it back but did,nt have any luck there either

Ah right OK, "Korekt" sunroof maintenance here, in case you've not already seen:

Maintain Sunroof

But the biggest prob as you've discovered, and as already mentioned, the metal rim around the glass swells due to rust so won't go down through the 'ole LOL...

For the oiling of the cables I use engine oil out of an oiling can. (BTW any excess drains out the sunroof drain tubes.) Have also sprayed all the black metal base areas with clear waxoyl then wipe smooth with a rag (at least twice)

HTH

IP Logged

Mike H
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 9th, 2012, 1:52pm »

PS: lubricating the roof opening and seal surround first helps enormously when trying to make it go down through, soapy water is enough as I originally found out while washing the car Grin
IP Logged

Mike H
micky5

Essex Scorpio man

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Mar 11th, 2012, 12:31pm »

i will give it a good oiling today/tomozz, and see if that free,s it up at all,,,, when it starts to tilt, is it ok to try to push it back with some force or is this likely to do more damage then good?

thanks in advance:  

Micky
IP Logged

Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Mar 11th, 2012, 1:53pm »

I rarely use mine so it's often stuck, I often have to give the glass a hard push up or down to help the motor out.

Not mentioned in the maintenance guide are the parts each side towards the back that cause the roof to raise/lower – there are several pivots & guide tracks, give them a spray of grease/oil, do it from inside the car to get at them all.

They’re in this area but you can only see them with the roof tilted.

IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.