Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 11:30pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Fitting head gasket to 2.0 »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Fitting head gasket to 2.0
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fitting head gasket to 2.0  (Read 2201 times)
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Fitting head gasket to 2.0
« on: Mar 22nd, 2012, 4:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Guys, What with the weather being nice and sunny SmileyI decided to start the removal of the head on my 2.0L. Got all the gubbins out, water and oil in the air filter box, cams slightly rusting/oxiding, but I've got to a point where I'm sure if I do it wrong, I'll be in some kind of bovver. I have got to the point of removing the cylinder head, the timing gear cover and the chain guide but that's where I've stopped. The next step is to loosen the camshaft sprockets and then set the camshaft sockets to the marks Huh Firstly, I don't have a flange holding wrench, dont think I need one, and secondly, to what and where are the marks in the instructions talking about (2.2 degrees left and 2.9 degrees right)Huh  Where are these marked and how Huh Also do you have to renew the chain guide  and the chain tension plunger as the instructions say? Your help as usual would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Lee
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

Re: Fitting head gasket to 2.0
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22nd, 2012, 11:42pm »

Lee.
I commit the cardinal sin of clamping a self grip wrench on the camshafts to hold them when loosening the sprockets,always does the job  Cool The chain has three copper coloured tooth positions which align with dot marks on the three sprockets,if you align them before removing the wheels,then wire the chain up, reassembly is easier.You will need a new spring loaded hydraulic tensioner to the tune of about 30 quid,because once released they cannot be pressed back,therefore,don't release it (by pressing down) until you are sure that everything is back OK.Don't reuse the headbolts because they are stretched when tightening,and could cause a problem if not renewed.
        GOZZ.
IP Logged
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 23rd, 2012, 1:09am »

Three sprockets, there are only two at the top Huh Tensioner from Fords? New bolts I have already.  Lee
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 23rd, 2012, 6:32am »

Lee. Have you found This page. The photos enlarge if you click on them. Wink

The Manual is here but I think you may have seen that.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 23rd, 2012, 9:17am »

Lee.
  The third sprocket is on the crankshaft driving the cams.I don't think engine factors supply a tensioner,the Ford number is F1662847.
              GOZZ.
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 23rd, 2012, 1:13pm »

This is the blue car is it?
IP Logged

Mike H
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 23rd, 2012, 7:52pm »

Yes Mike it is Smiley
IP Logged
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 23rd, 2012, 8:07pm »

Does the crankshaft pulley and the lower casing need to be removed to replace the head gasket  Huh or is to line up the timing chain.  Lee
IP Logged
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 26th, 2012, 12:30pm »

Re last question, I only ask as I removed a head on my other car without removing the crankshaft pulley and lower casing?
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 26th, 2012, 11:46pm »

You are much better off removing the pulley and lower cover Lee as you can positively time the cams up if the chain comes off the crank sprocket,but if you observe the chain position on the cam wheels when removing them,and ensure that the crank stays put,it is not absolutely necessary.
       GOZZ.
IP Logged
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 27th, 2012, 10:40am »

Gozz, I can't find any dot marks on the sprockets Huh As in the manual, there are lines on the sprockets but I don't know where to line them up to. Can't even see the copper coloured tooth positions. Lee
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Mar 27th, 2012, 12:19pm »

Lee,

I’ve not done the job, so just posting what I’ve read.

Page 15 of the manual that Simmo posted shows the positions of the sprockets with no 1 cylinder at TDC.
If you zoom in it shows the position of the dots (or where they would be if yours had them) and the line is the same.

Page 18 shows an additional check you can make that you have it correctly set up.

The following thread was primarily about a mistake in the PDF for the 2.3L however Gozz gave some more detail:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Problems;action= display;num=1295191522
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 28th, 2012, 12:17am »

I, like Ro284 do not have copper links and no dots anywhere Huh Don,t want to chance, and can't afford getting it wrong, for having no knowledge of how to do it right!!
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Mar 28th, 2012, 1:02am »

Doesn’t yours have that same hole where the line is that's shown on the pdf and in the picture of the sprocket in the other link Simmo sent.
It corresponds to where the dot would be approx 50degrees (5.25 teeth) round from the drive slot.

I’ve removed some of the noise from the picture on the site, you can just about see the line by those smaller holes that he’s pointing to:

IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 28th, 2012, 9:02am »

Thanks Tompion. I think I get what I am supposed to do Wink The drive slot is the clincher for me. I haven't seen that yet as I have not taken off the torx bolts as it say's just loosen them!!! Again, doing what the instructions say. No doubt I will post again once I come up against another wall Smiley Cheers Lee
IP Logged
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Mar 28th, 2012, 8:00pm »

Hi All, With the info on here and the advice given, I managed to remove the head, inlet manifold still attached, and found that all is not well. The gasket had definitely gone, between pots 2 and 3, the third piston at BDC and with about half an inch of water sitting in it. Once I had removed the water, I noticed that the piston head had been eaten, about half an inch missing. No scoring noticeable so maybe could be worse. So I have a question!! Can the sump be removed, partly or fully, so the piston can be removed from the bottom? I ask this because I can't remove the engine block. If the answer is no, then I am about to lose another beloved scorpio Sad Thanks in advance.  Lee  
IP Logged
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Mar 28th, 2012, 8:05pm »

Re: head removal. For information that is NOT in the instructions, when removing with the inlet manifold attached, there are two bolts that need to be undone with the car jacked up, where the manifold sits on a support plate. Found out the hard way Roll Eyes Cheers Lee
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.