Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 4:23pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 24V Cosworth Water Pumps »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   24V Cosworth Water Pumps
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 24V Cosworth Water Pumps  (Read 902 times)
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: 24V Cosworth Water Pumps
« Reply #20 on: Jun 27th, 2012, 7:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Gentlemen. As stated earlier I intend to move the original post to How to do Things. I will also transfer the 'Wishbone' entry to the same section.  Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
whentostop

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #21 on: Sep 25th, 2012, 2:54pm »

on Jun 25th, 2012, 10:24am, Dave2302 wrote:
LOL,  

I was waiting for someone to post that up  Grin

That is definitely a BOA / 12V Pump NO ONE makes a pattern BOB Pump, despite the claims of the parts catalogue................ they were Ford only at £160 plus and now they are No Longer Available...................

Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered  Grin  

Cheers Dave

Bought one today - FINIS 1518114 so you can still get them - bad news is they are 250 quid, So this refurb is a real bargain...
IP Logged

97 Black 24v Estate
97 Black 24v Saloon
94 Blue 24v Granada Estate
94 Blue 12v Granada Estate
chris5090

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #22 on: Oct 2nd, 2012, 9:14pm »

Are you still doing these? I sent a PM but no reply so just checking  Wink
IP Logged
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #23 on: Jan 13th, 2014, 2:34pm »

I am replacing my waterpump on my 24v very slowly due to the weather and bad back lol. I am also replacing as much of the pipework and wiring as I can as I have everything in pieces. I have seen the replacement diagrams for the thermostat but where is the pipe it goes in? Is it the bottom hose on the nearside to the radiator? If so how  do you get there? lol
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #24 on: Jan 13th, 2014, 3:29pm »

Send a PM to Pegasus. I think this is just exactly what he has just done as he had a hose burst. IF I am right he was saying the other day when we met that he had to remove the power steering pump bracket to get to it and that in itself was a pig!. Sad
 UPDATE:- Have a look at This article and see if that helps.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #25 on: Jan 13th, 2014, 6:20pm »

Thanks Simmo looks like ford made a good car with the scorpio but made it almost impossible for anyone to work on them lol. Just thought I would put  new stat in or maybe non at all whilst doing the waterpump and aux belts but might be better to wait till the weather is a bit better as I  am doing it in the open on my drive.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #26 on: Jan 14th, 2014, 8:09am »

Andy. I personally would say here it's a case of the old addage "If it ain't broke don't fix it" !. Grin  Paul said it took him half a day to get at the thing and another half a day to put it all back together!.  Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #27 on: Jan 14th, 2014, 8:46am »

I would normaly agree but as this 24v has no service history and seemed to be in a fairly bad state when I got her and I remember the seller saying it had to have a new radiator 9 years ago due to ballooning I don't want to tempt fate. The more I look under the bonnet the more very bad bodge up jobs so would like to replace as much as I can so I only have to strip it down once rather than several times as my health is deteriating and I might not be able to do it again.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #28 on: Jan 14th, 2014, 11:13am »

I understand Andy. Good luck and I'm sure Paul (Pegasus) will offer his advice. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Pegasus

24V Cosworth  Ultima Born: Sept 97, sold Aug 23

View Profile

« Reply #29 on: Jan 19th, 2014, 6:28pm »

Hi Andy,
just seen this (been away).

When you look at the  Ford manual for changing water pump the 'lower hose' is a short thing with a 90 degree turn in it that goes onto the t'stat. This is the hose that recently split on my cossie.

To get to this you need to follow the advice given by Baz (Simmo's link) from the bit on "The removal of the air con compressor…" as the 1st part is removing rad.  

You need to take out the air hose between filter housing and inlet manifold to give you better access, then remove air con belt and the tensioner. You'll need to disconnect the compressor (4 bolts) from it's bracket (Ford advice is disconnect completely - I didn't).  

I also loosened the bracket (removed 4 bolts) from the block. This was the "pig" Simmo mentioned: getting to the jubilee clip that connects hose to the pump is easy but at the t'stat it's 1 of those spring clips (you'll almost certainly need the special tool for this).  

Now to get at these easily (as if? ) the bracket needs to be off but I couldn't figure out how it would come out until I lost my temper and just yanked. You also need to find the 4th bolt - it's the upper rear 1(or front-can't remember) and I only found it by looking at a spare bracket, shining a torch in there then using both hands to attach and hold in place the spanner (very fiddly for someone with large hands - could always ask wifey to do it for you Grin ).

When it was off managed to get to hose to change it - had to cut it carefully with Stanley knife as it was stuck to t'stat. Changing it over took just 10 mins - you need to make sure it's completely attached (fully inserted) at  both ends but no amount of shoving and swearing did it so put a little bit of silicone sealant (type used for sealing around house rad joints - "Fernox LS-X") inside hose which not only temporarily acts as a lubricant but also seals any imperfections.

The rest of the struggle was getting the bracket back in place afterwards but it will go on - just fiddly. Would have been easier if I removed compressor completely but didn't want hassle of that.  

If you are going to change stat then the oil pressure switch is right behind it.

BTW, I also replaced my top hose as it was weeping where it joins the pipe going through the 'V'. The pipe end was corroded and it still weeped after changing. Took hose off again, dried pipe and inner hose, used plenty of LS-X, reattached, allowed it to set overnight before running coolant. Job done Smiley

Hope that makes sense. Come back to me if you need clarification. This is the LINK to my original post.

Paul
IP Logged

Go Go Go ...
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #30 on: Jan 20th, 2014, 12:45pm »

Hi Paul I remember your post now lol. I am going to replace both belts as they are well past their sell by date and look as if they are about to crumble into dust. Looking at the tensioners I can't see how to release the tension on them could you explain please? I have also found that I am finding it hard to crack the bolts holding them onto the engine block so have decided to wait for a warmer day only 2C here and also a breeze lol. Just broke my back getting the rfad fans out as the connectors would not come undone and everywhere is coated in thick oil but can't see any leaks but looks like it had been leaking from the rocker covers so will wait till it is all working again before I check if they are leaking or the previous owner had them replaced.

Thanks Andy
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #31 on: Jan 20th, 2014, 1:52pm »

Andy, have a read of This article. Wink Not sure if it helps but on the 2.0ltr if you pull up on the belt it lowers the tensioner and if you then wedge it with a piece of wood life becomes much easier.  Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #32 on: Jan 20th, 2014, 3:58pm »

Thanks Simmo I get lost on there lol. I might have a go at them tomorrow if it isn't too foggy and cold lol.
IP Logged
Pegasus

24V Cosworth  Ultima Born: Sept 97, sold Aug 23

View Profile

« Reply #33 on: Jan 20th, 2014, 8:57pm »

Hi Andy,
the tensioners (esp holding alternator belt) can be difficult to budge. I have a thick garden glove on the hand holding the spanner and I still end up with grazed hands - need to ensure the spanner/socket stays on the fulcrum bolt. Once you've released the belt just gently release the tensioner with the spanner and it'll just settle. Getting the alternator belt back on can be a bit of a struggle again.

To remove from block - you need to be careful depending on your socket set. The bolts are 6-sided and a lot of sets (inc mine) have 8+ sides so you can easily round off the bolt if it's recalcitrant. I had to borrow a proper 6 sided socket to get 1 of my bolts off.

Paul
IP Logged

Go Go Go ...
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #34 on: Jan 20th, 2014, 10:21pm »

Ty Paul I will try tomorrow weather permiting.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #35 on: Jan 21st, 2014, 7:23am »

Andy, I have now found the article about the wedge I mentioned yesterday. It was by Pedropedro in 2009!. Tompion...who else.. Grin has put up a photo and the dimensions are listed. I know this relates to the 2ltr but the principle may help as may some of the other advice. Good luck. Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #36 on: Jan 21st, 2014, 10:26am »

thanks
IP Logged
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #37 on: Jan 21st, 2014, 1:29pm »

all the belt parts done just can't get the waterpump pully off to get at the bolts holding the pump on. I have sprayed it with lubricant and tried it with a bar but it refuses to budge so is there a knack to this or something I have missed?
IP Logged
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #38 on: Jan 21st, 2014, 2:02pm »

Yahoo I got it off but now have a couple of waterpump bolts behind the waterpump belt tensioner and it won't move far enough to get to them any idea's please
IP Logged
jumper

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #39 on: Nov 20th, 2015, 4:36pm »

Hi Dave
I have a BOB that I want to re-commission but someone has already scavenged the Water pump from - do you have any complete units?
Thanks Phil
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.