Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 9:44pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« New Tyre regulations »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   New Tyre regulations
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New Tyre regulations  (Read 1061 times)
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

New Tyre regulations
« on: Jul 4th, 2012, 10:24am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi folks. I heard on Radio 4 that new regulations regarding the information embossed on new tyres has been introduced and that from November All new Tyres sold in the UK have to have this info on the sidewall.  Cool  Does that mean that the Tyre Manufacturers/Retailers have an awful lot of Tyres to get rid off  before November?

Cheap deals for our Scorpies?  Roll Eyes.

I took my Cossie for a Test and was given advisories regarding 3 Tyres which had a minimun of 3mm when the limit is 1.6 mm and I have heard of somebody that had an Advisory on a Tyre with a min. of 4mm!!!  Not on when a new Tyre has, I think, 8mm.

What do you think folks?

Mike  

IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

Re: New Tyre regulations
« Reply #1 on: Jul 4th, 2012, 11:23am »

Mike,I understood that an explanatory label has to be stuck on new tyres to explain their quality and type of use.
 Regarding advisories,they are best taken with a pinch of salt,I'm sure we all know when tyres are illegal,and would not expect to pass the test in that case.
            GOZZ.                                                                         
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 4th, 2012, 11:59am »

Advisories are exactly that. they are there to advise MOST of Joe Public doesn't even check his oil on a weekly basis so why would they check the tyres after all they are only tyres and and advisory to those sort of people is a MUST. But is a cover all situation they are unable to differentiate from those that do take care and check the important things.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 4th, 2012, 12:42pm »

Yes, and remember that although the legal min is 1.6mm grip in wet conditions falls off dramatically below 3mm - I replace all my tyres when they get near to 3mm.
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 4th, 2012, 1:39pm »

If I remember rightly it's about 3 things, tyre noise, fuel economy and, something else. Grin

Oh yeah wet braking distance.

See also:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/legal--motoring-advice/2012-06/new-tyre -labelling-only-goes-half-way-says-michelin/

IP Logged

Mike H
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jul 4th, 2012, 8:33pm »

Don't forget the new EU rules which come into force very soon - all new cars will have to have tyre pressure monitoring systems...no doubt adding to the expense of new tyres.
Won't be long before a car under 10 years old is worth less than a new set of wellies.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 5th, 2012, 3:50am »

Tyre Pressure monitoring is just a wee pressure sensor in the valve assembly that sends a wireless signal to the control module in the car, doesn't matter what tyres are fitted  Wink

They've been on Renaults etc since 2000  Wink

Cheers Dave
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jul 13th, 2012, 11:15pm »

The transmitter type valves are very expensive if they fail..... My wife has a peugeot and has them. They are usually made of aluminium and get wrecked with salt etc. I replaced one on hers and it cost about £70 just for the valve!! The threaded end broke when she went to put air in the tyres a while back

Put some vaseline on the threads before you put the cap back on...... saves the salt getting to them!

My Merc doesn't have the pressure valves but warns of a tyre pressure loss by monitoring the ride height of the car.... if it drops, it warns you!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.