Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 2nd, 2024, 12:13am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 24V gearbox removal »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   24V gearbox removal
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 24V gearbox removal  (Read 3165 times)
Jeff

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

24V gearbox removal
« on: Jul 16th, 2012, 12:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Has anyone removed a gearbox from a 24V? Had a look at the manual and it looks a bit daunting - exhausts, driveshaft and starter all have to come out.
Just wondered what the job's like in practice. Suppose the first thing is to get the car jacked up to a decent height: easy if you have a lift ramp, which I don't.
And then 'remove so and so' bolt isn't always that straightforward, is it.
Anyone done it?
IP Logged

2.9 Cosworth saloon and 2.3 saloon
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

Re: 24V gearbox removal
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16th, 2012, 2:47pm »

You mean this manual?

A4LDE 24V remove & install (PDF file)
IP Logged

Mike H
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 16th, 2012, 6:10pm »

heya mate

why do you need to drop the box?

its a big job and not easy if you dont have a ramp. personally i would drop engine and gear box by dropping the front subframe, its much easiee to work on and 100 times easier to realign and bolt back together
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
Jeff

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 17th, 2012, 7:19pm »

Yes, I have the manual in paper form here too. As Matt says it certainly looks a big job.
I have a 24V with an intermittent fault whereby it suddenly drops out of drive for a short period of time (this varies, apparantly at random) and then continues. Not what you want on a junction or R/A/B. As I have some spare would-be donor cars I thought I might just swap it out, as no-one has been able to suggest any fixes. It might only be a solenoid, but I'm not au fait enough with these complex units to know, and I'm a bit sceptical about taking it to the trade. I envisage much sucking of air through teeth etc. However the job does rather look a bit of a campaign, so I think I will try and get advice.
Dropping the engine and unit would entail undoing all connections, but I understand the point re alignment. Could be a nightmare this one, couldn't it.
Good opportunity to clean the whole lot down though. Ha. There's me talking like I have spare time...
IP Logged

Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 18th, 2012, 12:23pm »

When you say "drop out", like it's gone into neutral?

Obvious questions time ~ Grin

1. What's the level / general state of the transmission fluid?

2. Depending on 1, have you considered fluid + filter change first? If not been done within living memory...

3. Are you getting flashing O/D light?
IP Logged

Mike H
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 18th, 2012, 6:26pm »

Breaking the exhaust down is the hardest part, but after that it's easy if you know auto's and have a ramp and a transmission jack.

However it needs proper diagnosis first, it may not be the box, may be electrical fault !!

Cheers Dave
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
Jeff

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jul 18th, 2012, 9:36pm »

Hi everyone. Yes, I'm all for trying to diagnose properly first.  

Yes, as if it has dropped into neutral, which results in a 'spike' of revs until you get your foot off. Like missing a gear in a manual, although this happens on the cruise as it were, not going up through the gears, although it has happened at that time once or twice too. The fluid level was checked and found to be satisfactory: no alarming colours but it hasn't been changed to my knowledge. I guess I should do that as a matter of course, and do the filter at the same time. The cars not taxed at the mo, so will have to sort that too. How do I go about checking electrics?
IP Logged

Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 19th, 2012, 3:48am »

Okay, the only way to check the electrics is to have it code read with proper software that can actually read the transmission, and then also look at live data whilst driving it too.

Does this dropping out of gear happen when hot or cold or worse hot / cold ?

Full throttle, light throttle or off throttle ?

Also is it any particular gear 1st, 2nd , 3rd, 4th, etc ? that would help me to give you a decent diagnosis  Wink

If the fluid is not "Minging" then don't waste your money changing it atm  Wink

Cheers Dave
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
Jeff

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jul 21st, 2012, 11:24am »

Hello Dave, thanks for your reply. Indeed the fluid isn't minging as you put it Grin so I agree: leave alone. Having said that mind, it has prob never been changed. But it's not like engine oil, is it.
The drop out occurs only in top gear, once up and running (I'm not using the car at the moment so this is from memory) and under normal driving conditions, which I call 'cruise'. I don't drive madly...or badly I like to think! It'll do it on a long run - maybe - and then not again for a few journeys. Sometimes it's just once or twice, sometimes it'll really play up. No pleasure in that I can tell you. This is why I suspect electrical, rather than mechanical or hydraulic.
On the subject of diagnostics, exactly what should I ask for if I get the chance to have an OBD session?

Thanks again, it would be great to sort this.
IP Logged

Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 21st, 2012, 4:04pm »

1. I'll ask again if you don't mind, are you getting flashing O/D warning light? (green, top left of dashboard, "O/D"). I know they're not very bright at the best of times Grin

2. Prresume by the sound of things it's OK if you switch out the overdrive (green button on side of gear selector, "O/D" light permanently on), leaving bottom 3 ratios only (?).

3. If you don't know if fluid was ever changed or don't know how long ago, I would still consider having it done.

4. At risk of sounding like a scratched record, Grin this is spookily similar to my problem, couldn't hold top gear (overdrive) kept slipping gear up and down, almost as though a gearbox clutch was clapped out and slipping, what it was, in the end, MAF sensor was on its last legs, new MAF bought and installed, was like getting a new gearbox!

4b. therefore try cleaning the MAF sensor, see if that does anything to alleviate the symptoms. Instructions here:

Cleanig the MAF - solving overdrive problems

HTH

NB: the MAF (A.) weren't all that was wrong with it, also needed B. new air filter (filthy black), C. cat (too old or possibly wrecked by running too rich due to A. & B.), D. whole new exhaust excepting only the flexi pipe bit due to a hundredweight of soot in it (that's how heavy it felt like apparently lol Grin )

IP Logged

Mike H
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 21st, 2012, 5:47pm »

I wasn't going to say anything on this thread, because I didn't want to confuse issues.   I will say before I carry on that I'm having a spare Auto Gearbox and Converter re-built by a true professional  Wink Then getting it swapped over for the one that's currently in the car.

My car is a great driver, and I drive it as it should be driven.   I'm going through Avon ZV5 tyres on the rear in 15k miles, and not much more out of the front which will tell you's how I drive it!   I regularly have it on the red-line in the first three gears, there's plenty of wide-open quiet roads up here to do it on, as 'The Old Bear-Footer' will testify.   (I'm slow by his standards!)  

The fluid is clean in my gearbox and I've changed it, there was a little bit of sludge when I changed the screen and oil, but after 100k miles I think that was to be expected.   Now my problem started about a year ago, just as you describe.   Driving along the road at a steady pace when all is warm, (the car doesn't do it cold) it's almost as if a ghost passenger has knocked the stick into neutral, then just a split second later stuck it back in drive.   This happens when the O/D light is showing or not.   The O/D light doesn't flash, and the speedo continues to read the road-speed steady.   This would maybe happen once or twice in a month, (I'm doing about 8k miles a year)   I tried to mentally note when it was happening, to see if there was a pattern, also fiddled about with the wires and sprayed lots of silicon-grease about the connectors, no-change.   I clean the MAF sensor regularly and had just done so before the latest incident about Ten days ago.   Driving along at a steady 70mph, and it dropped out of gear, then went straight back in, but for the first time ever it went down a second gear, so, it was in Top, dropped out, went back into Top, then briefly went down to Third, then straight back up to Top.   This happened in the space of about Five seconds and all with no throttle.   When I pressed on the accelerator, once I thought it had settled-down, instead of drive, it slipped back into Top like slipping a clutch!   It had never done that before, not the slipping bit or going down an extra gear.   A problem that my car has always had since I got it Four years ago, is a wee 'Flare' when changing between second and third.   Not every time, but if I've been driving the car hard, like full-bore overtaking and higher speeds, then when you come to a town and drive slower the flare always appears, again, only slight.   I have more recently discovered how to aggravate the dropping out of gear problem, quite by chance because it did it twice in succession for the first time about three weeks ago.   When going for a full bore overtake, once your well passed the cars and still in 'kickdown' take your foot off the throttle and brake sharply, it might not drop out of gear straight away, but almost guaranteed to do it in the next couple of miles.   I can only think it could be because of more pressure with the higher speeds and a lot more heat.

Since the last time it happened, when I decided it was time to bite the bullet and get it sorted properly, I've been driving the car gently, and returning better mpg, and it hasn't occurred again, but what's the fun in driving a fast car gently?   Another reason for spending the cash on getting it sorted is, the car has just gone through another MOT easily, so it's worth the money to me.   I also have a spare gearbox wiring-loom, that I have checked and repaired where necessary, aye and it was needing repaired in plenty of places!   It's now also been checked for continuity, so should be ok.   Even if it's a wiring problem with mine, I'll still change my gearbox, because it feels like a mechanical fault and I'll get a lovely new drive!    Cheesy

hth
Peter
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Jeff

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jul 21st, 2012, 10:21pm »

No, I don't think the O/D has anything to do with it. I drive the car pretty steadily, I'm a  bit of an old fart in that respect, so I enjoy longevity in my rear tyres Roll Eyes. The point you make Mike is that if I switch top gear off, then maybe it will not do it...is that what you are getting at?
I sometimes do a run down to the south coast which is about a hundred miles and it might not occur until coming back. I use the green switch to assist in overtaking but otherwise don't usually touch it, but you might be on to something.
And I have cleaned the MAF on this one; although if you needed to replace yours Mike, maybe just cleaning isn't enough. How did you establish it needed replacement?
I moved the car today (and washed it, looks lovely now - dark aubergine, came up very nice) and noticed the gear selector felt very heavy. This is a bit of an aside (nothing to do with my drop out problem). I'm hoping the selector has simply dried up a bit due to lack of use for so long (over a year now). I must get a battery on it and run her up. The worst thing to do to a car is not use it. If I get it taxed and MOT'd then I can get using again. And after all this I think I will change the fluid and filter. Then I can re-assess the problem.  
It's clear the systems on these cars are really quite complex, what with all the different criteria being analysed all the time. I wonder if it will be possible to keep them going as long as some of the 'classic' cars we have amongst us now, all simple suck and blow stuff. These moderns full of plastic components and sealed electronic units prob will not be there for future generations, whereas the same olduns we know know will...albeit even older of course. I find this a great shame, as the fantastic machines we see now, like the M series BMW's or Jaguar XK's etc are so complex I doubt if they will survive 20 years. Which means I'll never get my hands on any!
By the way, have you tried manouvering one of these without the engine on? God it is almost impossible.. Took me and my two strapping lads, and a garden tractor to move it across the garden and behind my garage on my yard...nearly killed me Embarassed
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jul 22nd, 2012, 8:38am »

on Jul 21st, 2012, 10:21pm, Jeff wrote:
And I have cleaned the MAF on this one; although if you needed to replace yours Mike, maybe just cleaning isn't enough. How did you establish it needed replacement?

Jeff, I had mine go some years ago. Believe me you'll know !! Roll Eyes.  It ran like a pig revs all over the place and almost undriveable in any meaningful way. Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Jeff

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jul 22nd, 2012, 10:29am »

Aah right, don't think I'm quite at that stage.....yet!!
IP Logged

Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Jul 22nd, 2012, 11:55am »

on Jul 21st, 2012, 10:21pm, Jeff wrote:
No, I don't think the O/D has anything to do with it.

LOL that isn't exactly what I meant, O/D flashing is a WARNING, computer is trying to tell you there's a problem with the gearbox! (It thinks) Which is a pretty serious situation if absolutely true (but as we know, it can be fooled Grin )

Ergo my asking, if your box genuinely has a real fault....

Quote:
The point you make Mike is that if I switch top gear off, then maybe it will not do it...is that what you are getting at?

Yes exactly, as an experiment

Quote:

I cleaned it thoroughly according to the 'instructions' here Cheesy ~ did naff all, bought a brand new one, bingo, like waving a magic wand Cheesy

Quote:
I'm hoping the selector has simply dried up a bit due to lack of use for so long (over a year now).

Eek could be, we have heard of seized up ones!  Shocked Due to standing for months

Quote:
By the way, have you tried manouvering one of these without the engine on? God it is almost impossible.. Took me and my two strapping lads, and a garden tractor to move it across the garden and behind my garage on my yard...nearly killed me Embarassed

I haven't but I can imagine.

Once tried to drive it away without the engine on

First clue, steering wheel wouldn't turn ~ ummm, summat not right here....

lol Grin

IP Logged

Mike H
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Jul 22nd, 2012, 12:00pm »

Just remembered, there is an experiment you can do, assume it's applicable to 24V also ~ unplug the MAF and try driving it like that, forces 'open loop fuelling' or summat, but means computer abandons trying to use the MAF cos it can't, so if that's what's causing the issue it should be better. If not like a 'cure' (?)
IP Logged

Mike H
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Jul 22nd, 2012, 12:03pm »

@ PJ, that is indeed very interesting.
IP Logged

Mike H
Jeff

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Jul 22nd, 2012, 9:44pm »

Mike, thanks for your interest on this. I must admit on the subject of the MAF the cleaning didn't make much of a difference, and it makes sense that replacing it was effective - years of heating a dirty element is very likely to leave a coated wire, isn't it. I wonder if mine is 'dropping out' and causing the gearbox to lose track of where everything is. I'd like to replace mine, I think - should I go to Ford or do you know of an alternative? Don't suppose motor factors will supply - I will make enquiries tomorrow.
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Jul 23rd, 2012, 7:52am »

Jeff, the first stage would be to try and locate a member who would let you try a known good one.  Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Jul 23rd, 2012, 11:58am »

Jeff, If the 24v maf is the same as a 2.0L, I have a working one for you to try  Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.