Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 2nd, 2024, 12:16am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Strange Door lock issue »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Strange Door lock issue
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Strange Door lock issue  (Read 1606 times)
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Strange Door lock issue
« on: Jul 17th, 2012, 2:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

On going to my car on Sunday the key turned in the drivers door lock, motors could be heard working but no door would open. Tried another key. Same. Opened the tailgate with the remote fob, climbed in and released the rear doors. Then opened the passenger door. Drivers door would not open even from inside. Inserted key in the ignition turned to pos II and drivers door opened ok. Charged battery although all lights etc ok. Used car yesterday-no prob. Went to car this morning...same issue, same method of entry etc. Drove to town left car for 30mins BUT left the tailgate ajar just in case!. Sure enough on return same issue...same method of entry. Am about to embark on a more in depth look but it SEEMS the key is ok IF the car is just locked rather than double locked ie:alarm set. May be this is why turning on the ignition allows the drivers door to openHuh.
I do normally double lock it.  Any clues/advice appreciated.  Smiley

UPDATE.5 30pm. Having spent the afternoon working on it I now think it is to do with the mechanical operation of the door handle when in double lock mode. Leaving the windows open for access I double locked the car. I then tried the door handle, as if to check it was locked, and saw the inner lever move as if to open. I then tried the key in and it would not open the car. Pushed the handle back into the door recess,tried the key and all worked. Repeated the process but only locked. Tried the door handle and the inner lever did not move. Unlocked no problem. It thus seems that there is an issue with the door lock itself when double locked if there is movement on the mechanical handle mechanism which somehow jams it up.  

Any boffins out there with a clue?.  Huh Huh  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re:  Strange Door lock issue
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18th, 2012, 7:43am »

Does sound like a mechanical problem rather than an electrical one. Have you had the door card off to have a look inside and possibly see what is happening. I think its getting worn out. These sort of things seem to happen all of a sudden.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 18th, 2012, 7:57am »

Dave, did that yesterday afternoon but there is not much to see without a major job on the actual door lock which means window out etc. All linkage is intact and lubricated.  I think. as you say, like us  Roll Eyes, it's old age and wear and tear!. Huh
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 18th, 2012, 12:11pm »

Sounds very like what I had couple of years ago (or perhaps a bit more), it was a 'dirty' connector on front passenger lock motor module so it wouldn't do owt.

If it don't do owt, it stays in the locked position.

If it stays in the locked position, its switches won't change over.

If its switches won't changeover, it's exactly the same as if you pushed the lever in to lock from the inside.

In other words, you unlock with key, all doors unlock except the non-working one, then because the non-working one 'tells' the central locking circuit to go into lock mode, everything locks again straightaway!

I learned to unlock with key then whip the door open quick before the duff one had a chance to lock everything again.

WARNING: if the non-op lock motor is in the unlocked position, the reverse is also true, car refuses to stay locked! Think this is what happened the first time I noticed there might be a problem, at the moment the module connector failed car was being driven, subsequently caused it to be left unlocked in the local shopping centre car park! Turned the key to lock as normal, as I walked away it unlocked itself again! (I now test door handles, never assume)

Cure ~ get into door, remove and replace lock module connector plug, sorted. But it was a complete utter barsteward to get at though, think in the end I had to take the module mounting bolts out so I could wiggle it enough to reach as the blasted connector's underneath.  

HTH
IP Logged

Mike H
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 18th, 2012, 2:54pm »

on Jul 18th, 2012, 12:11pm, Mike H wrote:
Cure ~ get into door, remove and replace lock module connector plug, sorted. But it was a complete utter barsteward to get at though, think in the end I had to take the module mounting bolts out so I could wiggle it enough to reach as the blasted connector's underneath.  

HTH

Mike. Thank you. It certainly sounds very similar. I know what you mean about access. Bit like the door lock barrell. Have to remove the window etc in order to access the relevant bolts.  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 18th, 2012, 6:06pm »

Which door is it not co-operating?

I didn't have to disturb window, if I remember rightly just took or loosened the 3 fixing bolts out of the door edge so module was loose and could tilt / slide up a bit, could then get a hand (clutching plug) underneath. Watch out for grazed knuckles etc! (and lots of bad language Grin )

Hope it's that simple (relatively speaking!)

IP Logged

Mike H
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jul 18th, 2012, 8:44pm »

Drivers door. Ok if just locked. If deadlocked and the outer handle is lifted it seems to jam the mechanism. When just locked and the outer handle is lifted there is no movement and no issue. Do you mean the three large Torx bolts holding the actual door locking mechanism?. Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 19th, 2012, 1:01pm »

I think so, but think mine were Allen heads or something, don't remember needing a special tool.

Although that does sound more like a mechanical wear type of problem as suggested earlier, so perhaps a module change is needed?

When it's got the problem can you use key in passenger door instead?
IP Logged

Mike H
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jul 19th, 2012, 1:22pm »

on Jul 19th, 2012, 1:01pm, Mike H wrote:

When it's got the problem can you use key in passenger door instead?

Yes I can. Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 19th, 2012, 1:26pm »

I suspected as much. Not electrical then.
IP Logged

Mike H
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jul 19th, 2012, 1:52pm »

on Jul 18th, 2012, 7:57am, Simmo wrote:
Dave, did that yesterday afternoon but there is not much to see without a major job on the actual door lock which means window out etc. All linkage is intact and lubricated.  I think. as you say, like us  Roll Eyes, it's old age and wear and tear!. Huh

As I said earlier on to Snoopy  Cheesy Grin
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.