Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 2nd, 2024, 12:13am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Headlamp Lens removal »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Headlamp Lens removal
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Headlamp Lens removal  (Read 672 times)
iainc

View Profile Email

Headlamp Lens removal
« on: Sep 19th, 2012, 7:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The N/S lens on my Scorpy (1997 Ultima, with electically-operated levelling headlamps)) has a tendency to 'fog' in wet/cold weather, so I figure that a seal or gasket has failed.  The local Ford Parts Dept shows that there are 2 separate gaskets/seals (in addition to the lens), together costing ~£40, which is ok.  Is it easy (and how?) to remove the lens and to replace whatever gaskets can be substituted?  I don't propose to replace the lens itself (it is sound, and a replacement costs ~£140, I think), but I would apply a rubber sealant around the bonded edge in case that is the bit that has failed.  It looks to me that I don't need to remove the front bumper, but that I would probably need access from beneath using a lift/jack.  Any help much appreciated.

IainC
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Headlamp Lens removal
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19th, 2012, 9:07pm »

Firstly go to This page and check out the relevant sections. Secondly NOTE there are actually three bolts which hold the unit in and one of them is accessed by getting under the car OR removing the fog/indicator assembly and accessing the bolt through the aperture.  Smiley

This article may also help.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
iainc

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 20th, 2012, 11:35am »

Thanks, Simmo.  I don't want to remove the unit in its entirety, just the front lens - so the 4 clips in Simon MD's article would be the way forward.  Looking again at the unit in the car in today's rain, my hypothesis now is that it is the bond between the glass and its mounting (the edge covered by the loose outer rubber gasket) that has failed somewhere; I don't really see how any other join would cause the fogging (being well out of any weather).  So I would probably just seal round that inset edge and not bother about replacing any gasket (which weren't apparent in SMD's procedure anyway).

Regards

IainC
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Sep 20th, 2012, 1:50pm »

I assume you have a cover fitted where the bulbs go & that the seal is intact on that.
Sometimes a small amount of moisture gets trapped and takes a long time to shift (even though there is a vent in the bulb cover).
I found when I had condensation on cold/damp mornings that leaving the bulb cover off during hot days and replacing it at night shifted it. In my case the problem didn’t return.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
iainc

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 23rd, 2012, 4:33pm »

Yes, both covers are present, but there has never been any seal as such.  Taking the cover off does help to ventilate, but, in any case, the condensation does disappear naturally - particularly if the car is kept in the garage overnight - except that it is likely to return in wet/cold weather when the lights are on, which is why I think the seal round the base of the lens rim may now be a bit porous (where water gathers behind the rubber flange) and water vapour is being drawn up into the lamp body.  I was intending to seal this today, but found that I didn't have a suitable compound.
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 24th, 2012, 6:43pm »

Yes I've taken my lens off only but still needs the mounting bolts loosening (NOT the plastic adjusters, but in the centre, what actually holds the headlamp unit onto the car) to get enough room to manouvre. (Do not take nuts completely off. Unless you like the puzzle of getting them back on just by feel Grin ) Then the plastic clips can be prised off with a screwdriver BUT they can be fragile and break off so watch out.

HTH
IP Logged

Mike H
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 24th, 2012, 6:47pm »

Appendix ~ I think the headlamp heat would demist it given time, which reminds me on the BMW RT faired bikes, the RT fairing has a glass over front of the headlamp, this has, believe it or not, metal demister strips on it just like e.g. a rear window and the heat from the headlamp heats them up.

True. Grin
IP Logged

Mike H
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.