Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 8:24pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Mondeo auto dip mirror. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Mondeo auto dip mirror.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Mondeo auto dip mirror.  (Read 1111 times)
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

Mondeo auto dip mirror.
« on: Oct 26th, 2012, 5:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My interior mirror has leaked so no longer works correctly.
Has anyone tried to fit a mondeo one, it seems to have the correct plug on it. I would like to fit a newer one as the scorp ones are all 14 years plus old.
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Mondeo auto dip mirror.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26th, 2012, 11:03pm »

I've done mirror retrofits on a few cars, usually it's pretty straightforward.

If you need to work out the wiring, usually you have 3 wires - a switched 12v power supply (switched with ignition), then a second supply which goes high (12v) when you select reverse (to prevent the mirror dimming while you're reversing), and then ground. Some also have an extra feed which goes high when the headlights are on. If you probe around with a multimeter you should be able to work out what wire does what, might help if you have a bit of loom attached to the new donor mirror though.

A lot of the newer Donnelly mirrors have a metal ring which holds the ball joint in, you can prise this out with a screwdriver then pull the ball joint out of the housing on the mirror body and separate the mirror from the mount. Some older ones have the ball joint housing welded together so you might have to cut the old mirror apart with a Dremel to separate them.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but all the Donnely mirrors I've touched have had the same diameter ball on the mounting bracket so the new mirrors fitted the original mounts OK.

Hope this helps some.

Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
a900one

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 28th, 2012, 6:37pm »

Thanks for all the info, the mondeo has three wires, well the one I have seen on ebay has, but its the ball size that needs to be the same. There is a mito mirror for app £75 but not sure how many wires on that one has and if it will fit the mount, as it is new should last a long time.
IP Logged
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 28th, 2012, 6:43pm »

check the jag mirrors from around the same era, they were Donnely but theres companies out there that can referb them
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
a900one

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 28th, 2012, 6:57pm »

I have looked at the jag ones but the mount seems very different. Have you any names for who can refurb please Mat.
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 28th, 2012, 9:39pm »

Yep, 3 wires is the norm.

Don't worry too much about the mount, they're usually possible to swap.

If it helps, this shows the wiring connections a lot of the modern Donnelly mirrors have - white (1) is power, black (2) is ground, grey (3) is reverse:

http://www.briarsfield-hifi.co.uk/images/temp/donnelly_mirror_connection s.jpg

And if you're really interested, here's what the average Donnelly mirror looks like when you take it to bits Wink:

http://www.briarsfield-hifi.co.uk/images/temp/donnelly_mirror_new.jpg

Swapped one in a mate's Focus with one from a Mk3 Mondeo, the one in my last Rover 75 was donated by a Saab of all things, the one I fitted to Cindarella came from an '07 Jag S-Type R - they're all pretty much the same.

Mirror used in the 98-02 Jag XJ looks the same as the Scorpio, would be cheaper though to get one from an X/S-Type or Mondeo.

Bruce.

IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
a900one

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 9th, 2012, 9:04pm »

Thanks to all for the info.  
I have decided to fit a BMW mirror, only £6 at at local breakers, and found all the important details here http://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Auto_Dipping_Rear_View_Mirror_ -_Fitting_of_a_BMW_/_Scorpio_unit_%28Mondeo_Mk1/2%29  
Very simple to fit and looks good  Grin Grin Grin
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.