Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 6:23am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« diesel overheat warning light »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   diesel overheat warning light
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: diesel overheat warning light  (Read 6096 times)
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

Re: diesel overheat warning light
« Reply #20 on: Dec 31st, 2012, 6:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Bernard,  

what year is you diesel mate?  

Ive got fords wiring diagrams and the technical service guide book in front of me atm, If you full fuse 16 from the main fuse box the light should go out?

from the manual its fuse 16 (7.5A)--violet/black cable or violet/blue cable depending on year--->pin 33 on instrument cluster -----> PCM ----> ground.

now depending on what year you car is will depend on what pin on the ecu the 12v feed is going to.

Again Depenging on year your ECT will either be on pins 53 and 58 (before 09/96) or 33 and 14 (as of 09/96)
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
bernard_slade

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #21 on: Jan 1st, 2013, 4:39pm »

hi matt sorry didnt spot your post as it came up as a start to page 2  and i only just saw i have a page2 --yes pulling out fuse 16 extinguished all warning lights my diesel is build date nov 97 and is a facelift job i have checked the most likely wiring fault being the ect terminal to pins 6&7 at c132 and connecting the ect terms to 6& 7 shows continuity but cross connecting the multimeter pin 6to7 shows no continuity so no short in the most vulnerable wire so the problem isprobably between c132 and the ecu and as that area seldom gets disturbed its the area of wiring i would least suspect but it is looking that way i will need to check for no short in the wires between c132 and the ecu pins33 and14
IP Logged

another OAP past sell by date
Matt

View Profile Email

« Reply #22 on: Jan 1st, 2013, 6:26pm »

Hi Bernard

you could just have a dry joint on the ECU plug, it would not be the first time ive know it and simply unplugging and replugging in can sort a few issue (even know it to sort dancing rev needles)

i'll get the diagrams out again in the week and go through the system

Matt
IP Logged

bernard_slade

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #23 on: Jan 11th, 2013, 5:39pm »

taking a respite from trying to figure out dim dip wiring i suddenly had a thought about this overheat light which is permanently on ,in any other automatic model that light position is qverdrive on/ off . now my car being an auto diesel doesnt have an overdrive selector on the gear lever as it is the older A4LDe box not A4LDE . it just occurs to me that the light is telling me that overdrive is not selected. it could only be if someone in the past has changed the pcm for one used with the full electronic auto box. it would explain why i cant put it out but it is just a wild theorynow i will go away and think some more about dim dip
IP Logged

Matt

View Profile Email

« Reply #24 on: Jan 13th, 2013, 6:07pm »

The PCM on the diesels is unique.

as you say its fitted with the older A4LDe which was also fitted to the 12v. The dash panel is also unique to the diesel so if its saying overheat then it is an over heat sensor error
IP Logged

bernard_slade

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #25 on: Jan 13th, 2013, 6:23pm »

ok it was just an idea
IP Logged

bernard_slade

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #26 on: Jan 29th, 2013, 5:48pm »

today i put scorp in a garage for problem starting which happily turned out to be a new set of gloplugs and the man said to me we tried to fix that warning light thats permanently on but we found the sensor on the bottom of the header tank but no plug and wires to plug onto it and without those wires connected it will always show overheating  so now i know i need the plug and wires but where on earth do they go to? ive seen no reference to this set up in everything ive looked at or maybe i havent recognised it
IP Logged

bernard_slade

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #27 on: Jan 30th, 2013, 2:14am »

the more i think about it i think my garageman was wrong about the overheat light because i would expect the headertank sensor to detect coolant level and illuminate the radiator auxiliary warning sign but strangely my rad icon illuminates and goes off behaving perfectly normally so that is getting a signal from somewhere else as the header tank sensor is not connected to anything   .it is interesting just how little you got on later models for instance my old 1995 scorp ghia diesel saloon came withclimate control ,sun roof and cruise control but my facelift ghia x has no sun roof ,manual air con _with nowhere to put the pollen filter,and no cruise control as well as no door lights and no dim dip  or bits i am still to realise are not there Roll Eyes
IP Logged

bernard_slade

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #28 on: Sep 30th, 2015, 1:46am »

just to close this off it turned out my main wiring loom had become about 50 bright copper wires separated by dust
and two of the gloplug wires had fused together still miraculously running perfectly there was no allternative to scrapping the car as nobody could have remade the main harness to the main control modules another casualty of arnitel wiring
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.