Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 4:15pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« dim dip »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   dim dip
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: dim dip  (Read 7577 times)
bernard_slade

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

dim dip
« on: Jan 1st, 2013, 3:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

continuing my pursuit of dim dip relay etc i have gone to the main fusebox and r7 has no relay thought that was the answer but looking at snoopy's wiring diagrams post 4/97 no dim dip relay is shown so i am now wondering if this was another economy like deletion of door lights on the facelift models -does anyone know if their facelift scorps have dim dip as i may be attempting to find and install a relay in the box that is not wired for it i suspect it is probably a yellow 40 amp 5 pin as the older diagram is shown as having terminal 87 and 87a inaddition to the 85 ,86 and 30 terminals but im wasting my time if the later scorps dont have dim dip Roll Eyes
IP Logged

another OAP past sell by date
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

Re: dim dip
« Reply #1 on: Jan 1st, 2013, 5:41pm »

As far as I know my 98 has no dim dip, just checked no dim dip, side lights then dip.
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 1st, 2013, 7:12pm »

Didn't think dim-dip was fitted on UK supplied vehicles that far back Huh
I know it has been compulsory on vehicles for some EU coutries such as Sweden for many years.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
bernard_slade

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 2nd, 2013, 12:35am »

yes mike even my 1991 sierra has dim dip and my 1995 scorp had it the swedish version  was undimmed  personally i found it useful in town in early evening when you didnt want to dazzle everyone with the otherwise obligatory full power headlamps
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 2nd, 2013, 7:35am »

My  96 2.0 ltr Ultima has it. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 2nd, 2013, 7:49am »

I think you will find that the dim dip facility was discontinued after 1996. Prior to that it was an industry standard on most cars as a " pedestrian" safety feature. It was if my memory correct introduced sometime around 1986.
My understanding of it was that there was a resistor in the relay. but that's all I can recall.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 2nd, 2013, 9:33am »

1996 'Aunty' has Dim-Dip.   1998 'Movvy' has no Dim-Dip.   I haven't tried swapping the relay so don't know if movvy has the capability.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 2nd, 2013, 9:39am »

Yes PJ,all my funeral Scorpios up to 'P' reg had dim dip,but none after that.
IP Logged
bernard_slade

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jan 2nd, 2013, 10:59am »

ok thanks everyone it looks like this time i am flogging a dead horse
IP Logged

Glyn

Now an OAP ! 95 cossie and another !and a 12v

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jan 3rd, 2013, 1:30am »

I was told by my ex-ford auto electrician that dim-dip was fitted to confofm with a proposed EU requirement but Ford dropped it when it was abandoned. Since it was relatively late in production they may not have altered the wiring-anyone know that? Both of my 95's and the 96 have it.
Glyn
IP Logged
bernard_slade

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jan 3rd, 2013, 2:43pm »

this morning i tried inserting a probe into the slot that would house terminal 30 if the relay was fitted and did a simple term to earth on my multimeter set to volts --it was dead with sidelights on and no ignition  on and also with ignition in position 2  but when i started the car with sidelights on  it showed 12-13 volts so i have reason to believe part of the system is there--whether there is anything attached to 87 and 87a sockets i dont know  only inserting a dim dip relay will prove if there is anything there .amazingly the only dim dip relays on e bay are for landrovers so i wll have to trawl breakers yards -i dont fancy paying ford dealer prices for something that probably wont work anyway
IP Logged

PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 3rd, 2013, 6:34pm »

Bernard.   I've got a load of relays up here, give me a day or two and I'll find out which one and post one to you.   I'll check it's working first and I'll need an address from you through PM.   Yours for the usual wee donation to the site.
Peter
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 4th, 2013, 7:49am »

I knew I had seen something relating to Dim Dip and HERE IT IS  

Relay position is shown HERE

Look at the relay in the circuit and it quite clearly shows the resistor.

Hope this helps
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jan 4th, 2013, 12:28pm »

The relay in my Ultima is blue.

It has 234 in black on the side. The pins are numbered as mentioned ie:85,86,87,87a and 30.
Codes on top are : 86GG14K083AA,41212,4RD003520-34 and 40/35A 12v.

Hopefully PJ has one. Please let us know if fitting  one does the trick. Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 6th, 2013, 7:38pm »

Update.   I extracted the blue relay from a pile of stuff in the shed, I tested it to make sure the relay etc is working, it flicks-over nicely.   I then did the same as Bernard and tested the place where the relay should be and got the same reading!   However when I put the relay into the correct slot on 'Movvy', nothing!   So I tested 'Aunty', and everything working ok there, I remover the relay from 'Aunty' and fitted to 'Movvy', still nothing.   I reckon the later models didn't have the facility.
Peter
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
bernard_slade

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Jan 7th, 2013, 2:54am »

thanks for the info peter i guess the wires connecting the relay to the headlamp dip circuit were not installed and although installing those wires would be fairly straightforward i am reluctant to disturb the main fusebox as wires might crack or desintegrate i guess i will live without it ---as you may gather my previous arnitel experience has made me a nervous wreck where wiring is concerned on scorpios-i wonder if any other makes and models are running around with the arnitel time bomb
IP Logged

bernard_slade

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Jan 10th, 2013, 5:02pm »

just for the record peters relay arrived today and as suspected fitting it did not provide dim dip so i am now looking to install the relay as a stand alone system outside the fusebox  maybe taking a feed from the term30 in the fusebox which is live at the right times  and maybe feeding direct to the headlamp terminals  the concept is a bit hazy yet -my overiding objective is as little disturbance of the existing wiring possible so coming outside the fusebox and running separate wiring to the lamps looks the way to go .much study of old haynes manuals and scorp wiring diagrams such as they are will now ensue.unfortunately the ford schematic diagrams may be perfectly clear to fords but i find them less than comprehensive ---colour codes for wires are often missing -haynes were good on that but never did the scorp still it will give me something to think about in these dark nights
IP Logged

Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Jan 10th, 2013, 7:50pm »

Difficult looking at the diagrams on screen.
I think the bulbs are in series for dim-dip which I assume is why the right dip bulb has an independant earth feed which comes from the multifunction switch, whereas the left bulb shares it's earth with the other bulbs.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Jan 10th, 2013, 7:57pm »

Take a look here at the daytime light diagrams:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/hlampfunc.htm
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
bernard_slade

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Jan 15th, 2013, 2:42am »

it looks like the dim dip relay when energised breaks the independent earth circuit to the multifunction switch and  feeds a reverse current from fuse 18  to terminal 87 then along what was the earth lead to the rh headlamp then in series through the normal fused but at the time inactive headlamp feed wires to the left hand headlamp to earth which is common on that side acheiving the dimming without using resistors in circuit. -the dim dip relay is energised when the ignition is in position2 and the light switch is on sidelights thus that feed is recieved by terminal 86 and exits  from terminal 85  and i believe is  fed to the mainbeam supply wire to earth using the bulb filament as a resistor to limit current flow. when the light switch is put on normal dipped headlights the dim dip relay no longer recieves a supply and fuse 18 supply to term 87 is disconnected and the original earth is reconnected via term 87a ### ok thats about how it works but now comes the task of finding and identifying the wires at the headlamp end because apart from the  sidelamp feed the other wires colourings dont conform to prefacelift or facelift colours  shown on the wiring diagrams and one wire on both sets of diagrams is shown as a heavy dotted line with no colour shown.also interestingly the three wires to the levelling motor are totally different to the only wiring diagram shown on site  and this includes snoopy's wiring pdfs ###thats my progress so far but i have still got a lot of homework to do when the sun comes out
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.