Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 4:20pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« dim dip »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   dim dip
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: dim dip  (Read 7579 times)
bernard_slade

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: dim dip
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16th, 2013, 5:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

mystery of odd coloured wires to headlamps solved -it seems that at some stage the facelift lamps were replaced by pre facelift lamps but instead of unplugging the leads they left the pre facelift plugs and wires in the lamps and cut the loom and joined the wires with scotchlink coinnectors --why i dont know i thought the facelift and prefacelift lamps and plugs were fully interchangeable  --maybe theres something else i dont know anyway now i can continue the wire identification process--to be continued
IP Logged

another OAP past sell by date
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #21 on: Jan 20th, 2013, 4:49pm »

on Jan 3rd, 2013, 2:43pm, bernard_slade wrote:
this morning i tried inserting a probe into the slot that would house terminal 30 if the relay was fitted and did a simple term to earth on my multimeter set to volts --it was dead with sidelights on and no ignition  on and also with ignition in position 2  but when i started the car with sidelights on  it showed 12-13 volts

Dim-dip only works with engine on, else side lights only.

The dim-dip relay coil is earthed through the high beam bulbs via a reverse blocking diode so it only works when main beam is off. (E.g. goes off when flashing high beam?) The diode prevents current going back through the relay when high beam is on.

Dim dip relay disconnects low beam bulb RH side from its earth and connects to +12V, so both dip beam bulbs are powered in series.

It follows then that low beam bulb RH side needs the relay in place to work as a normal low beam, as the earth path is through the relay.

Except later cars where this aspect is became hard wired again presumably.

It's called daytime dip relay on page 7 here:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=EB36F845EA9B8FB6&id=EB36F845EA9B8FB6% 21146#cid=EB36F845EA9B8FB6&id=EB36F845EA9B8FB6%21818

IP Logged

Mike H
bernard_slade

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #22 on: Feb 14th, 2013, 7:02pm »

dim dip successfully installed now up and working .i decided to go for a separate  relay holder and fuse of rists wires make and inserted a single blade male terminal into the slot in the fusebox normally occupied by term 86 on the relay if fitted there but as there were no other valid connections there i took the wire outside the fusebox exiting at the end where the master plug is situated . i connected term 87 on the relay holder to the 10 amp fuseholder then from other end of fuse to battery direct . i decided to regard the rh headlamp as the rh when standing in front of the car  and the bottom lh black wire earth as probably the wire on pre facelifts that went to the earth/live reverse  flow in the relay  on this assumption i  cut that wire near the headlamp and connected the wire from teminal 30 at the relay holder to the headlmp end of the cut wire using a scotchlink connecter the other end of the cut wire was similarly attached to the wire from term 87a earth on the relay holder all that remaine dt do was connect term 85 to the main beam supply on the opposite headlamp but which was mainbeam supply  i had violet/white or orangyred/black which didnt appear on any wiring diagram so i guessed the inner one but bared the wire sufficiently to jump a wire from batt positive to the bared wire and the upper bulb lit so i was wrong hastily taped that one back up and connected the terminal 86 wire to the other wire in this case the rh top wire at the lefthand headlamp plug  having first checked that the lower bulb lit diect from the jumper to battery.  turned on sidelights and nothing went bang  ok now heart in mouth i started it up turned sielights on and lo behold i had dimmed headlamps ,turned to headlamps and normal dipped beam,flipped column stalk to full beam and all ok mission complete --big thanks to all who gave advice and especially to peter who kindly supplied the all important dim /dip relay          Cheesy Cheesy
IP Logged

another OAP past sell by date
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #23 on: Feb 17th, 2013, 1:54pm »

Terrific! Grin
IP Logged

Mike H
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.