Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 11:02pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Rear Tyres for economy. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Rear Tyres for economy.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rear Tyres for economy.  (Read 914 times)
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Rear Tyres for economy.
« on: Jan 28th, 2013, 11:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've been checking my tyres, At the moment i have 225/50/16, All round, the rears are badly worn, the fronts have around 6 mill tread on both, i checked the rolling distance between front and rear, The result is that the worn rears do 1-inch less distance per revolution, so in theory i would get better mpg if i fitted new tyres! Even  If i kept to the same size i would get an extra inch Per revolution! That is a lot of inches over say 10 miles! So if i were to go to 225-60-16 in theory i might improve on the 29 mpg, i am getting now! And /or travel further for the same cost! Any thoughts on this, Where do you stop? Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

Re: Rear Tyres for economy.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28th, 2013, 12:29pm »

a quick test would be to swap the wheels round, front to back and vise versa
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
bernard_slade

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 28th, 2013, 7:29pm »

i noticed that on fords own figures a scorp with 195 tyres acheived about 2mpg better than with 225 tyres  as the 195 has less drag but of course less adhesion at the limit--- low profile tyres  spoil the ride and need bigger rims to keep the same overall diameter . i think you will find thar if you put a 185 x 70 x 14 , a 195 x 65 x 15 and a 225 x 50 x 16 side by side they are all about the same height so increasing the profile for a given rim size will give higher gearing in all ratios it will give wrong speedo readings and you are limited by wheelarch size and distance of suspension travel-(suspension needs to hit the bump stop before the tyre bottoms in the wheelarch  you get a better result by fitting a higher ratio diff unit but again an auto would would be totally confused by sensor readings that did not match reality. finally economy will ony improve if the throttle settings for a given speed remain the same --if the higher gearing causes the engine to marginally labour the increased throttle needed to offset this will result in more petrol air mixture being admitted to the engine and give worse economy.-in the corporate quest for economy ford spen millions optimising gear ratios fuel injection and electronics to give the best all round settings leaving us virtually no margins to improve---in the early days of fuel injection ford cheated the boy racers saying fuel injection gave more power and more economy --yes it tended to give better economy but to give the impression of more power they lowered the rear axle ratio effectively givin them lower gears to zoom away from traffic lights  but the reality of the illusion was the more frugal fuel of injection needed a lower axle ratio to even acheive the status quo with carburettor jobs performancewise. you could actually improve economy on early sierras by fitting a 2 litre carburettor job axle to a 2 litre efi but all the lively zoom was gone;;; to sum up on a scorp the economy is best achieved with a bog standard set of 195x65x15 wheels -less drag less unsprung weight but probably not a good idea on cosworths
IP Logged

another OAP past sell by date
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 2nd, 2013, 1:24pm »

Just FYI I try to keep pressures 2 - 3 psi over, helps enormously, as also evidenced by "goes faster more easier", so implies the friction must be less

IP Logged

Mike H
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.