Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 6:20pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« What a great help this forum has been. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   What a great help this forum has been.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What a great help this forum has been.  (Read 2713 times)
rangie

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

What a great help this forum has been.
« on: Mar 4th, 2013, 9:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum, over the last month or so I have had serious problems with my 98 Scorpio 2.3 ultima estate which I thought had resigned it to the breakers. I had the cracked inlet manifold problem and the decomposing engine wiring loom prob, but I am back on the road again all thanks to the info and tips on this site. I managed to convert a galaxy manifold using my old fittings and also fitted a new loom, it now runs like new and I saved a fortune as I am sure you will know if you've had the same trouble.  

Many thanks for the info and an excellent site.
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

Re: What a great help this forum has been.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 4th, 2013, 10:00pm »

Hi rangie and welcome to the site.... thats what the forum and site are here for to try and keep as many Scorpios on the roads as possible.... There are an awful lot of knowledgable people on here so stick around and join in a while!!
IP Logged
exucasvu

1997 2.3 Ultima Estate - Live In France

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Mar 6th, 2013, 5:43pm »

I echo that. I have had the same problem with my 2.3 Ultima Estate. Like stripping wallpaper the more you take off the more problems I found! I bought this one for 250 quid and here is the list of items that needed replacing:
Rear Self Levelling Shocks
Engine Wiring Loom
Auxilliary Fusebox
Belt Tensioner
Cat Converter
Exhaust Manifold Gasket
Wishbone Bushes
Anti Bar Bushes
Both Headlights
Bonnet Paint and Rear Wheel Arches repaired  
Having done all that she is in tip top condition now and back on the road. My thanks too to the guys who man the forums on this site.  Grin Grin Grin
IP Logged

Alan
rangie

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 6th, 2013, 9:38pm »

Luckily I haven't had that many problems,  I have had mine for about 18 months, it was a Ford direct car with full service history plus loads of invoices for various jobs, I have changed the wheel bearings all round and the gearbox range sensor , the body is virtually unmarked, and I can honestly say it is one of the most comfortable cars I have driven.Through my work I have been driving Bentley flying spur, top of the range Mercedes and latest Jaguar xf and I know some people will laugh but I put the ride quality and comfort of the ultima up there with the Bentley, it is way ahead of the Jag and Mercedes, just a shame they stopped making them.
IP Logged
Glyn

Now an OAP ! 95 cossie and another !and a 12v

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 6th, 2013, 10:32pm »

Couldn't agree more-most comfortable car I have driven by far, but I really must stop buying them!
By the way, where do these new looms come from? Home made or what?
Welcome you guys and I'm sure you will find this site and the members invalulable as I do . It enables me to keep my scorps.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 7th, 2013, 8:19am »

Glynn in some cases the looms are sourced through Ford dealers or similar. In other cases people have made up new looms or indeed carried out major repairs to sections of them. The problem with making a new one is that you have to re-use the old connectors as they are not available on the open market. Believe me ...we've tried....!!. There are firms that will make looms but for many it is too costly thus it is DIY to a great extent. As the main fault is the breakdown of the outer insulation the use of clear heatshrink tubing is a good alternative. The wire can be cut,clear tubing slipped along it and the joint remade. Ideally a larger bore piece of tubing would be slipped over the first so that once soldered the actual join itself can be sealed. The benefits are that the wire is disturbed as little as possible as are others alongside and the colour code is still visible. Smiley

This firm is very good for heatshrink and This firm for wiring. The junior timer connectors in their range are NOT compatible with our cars although they LOOK the same.

The adhesive lined heatshrink is slightly opaque,because of the glue, so I'd opt for the non lined unless you have a particular  reason for the first one. Hope that helps, Mike. Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 7th, 2013, 1:38pm »

on Mar 6th, 2013, 9:38pm, rangie wrote:
Through my work I have been driving Bentley flying spur, top of the range Mercedes and latest Jaguar xf and I know some people will laugh but I put the ride quality and comfort of the ultima up there with the Bentley, it is way ahead of the Jag and Mercedes, just a shame they stopped making them.

That is very interesting! My mechanic mate is a Mercedes fan but doesn't like the new ones.

I've had a couple of the older 3-series Bee-Ems in the past, liked 'em a lot at the time but the Scorp is still much more nicerer!

IP Logged

Mike H
Glyn

Now an OAP ! 95 cossie and another !and a 12v

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 7th, 2013, 2:11pm »

Thanks for the info Mike, that is a great help. Just trying to think ahead at the moment since just had to re-wire ABS on the 12v(post on "Problems")
Glyn
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.