Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 4:15pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Fuel pump problem? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Fuel pump problem?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fuel pump problem?  (Read 4139 times)
wolfblood

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Fuel pump problem?
« on: Apr 16th, 2013, 5:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi everyone my 24v decided.to lose all power this morning during rush hour as I pulled onto the main road. Starter motor turns but engine not firing. Green Flag guy came out and sprayed some of that cold start spray into the air intake and engine started then stopped. Guy says it looks like fuel pump. Car is now outside house. Are there any roadside tests I could do to confirm its the pump?
IP Logged
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

Re: Fuel pump problem?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16th, 2013, 5:54pm »

if you put ignition on you should hear the pump run for a  second or 2, if not try the fuel cut off switch in the boot, its a little red button which is by the boot catch on a saloon and behind a side panel in load area on estate, it should be pressed down
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
wolfblood

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 16th, 2013, 9:33pm »

Can hear a noise for a second or two when turn key to just before starter engages. Don't know if it is significant but turned the engine when came back from work and it started for a few seconds then stuttered then stopped.
IP Logged
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16th, 2013, 9:46pm »

maybe the fuel filter needs replacing? you will need to check that there is fuel getting up to the engine.
IP Logged
Matt

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16th, 2013, 10:22pm »

is the pats let on top on the dash flashing rapidly??
IP Logged

wolfblood

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 17th, 2013, 7:57am »

Will check when I get home. Started it up this morning and it ran fine for about 10 seconds staryed to splutter but recovered when I applied more throttle. Ran for amother 20 seconds then spluttered agaon but cut out this time.
IP Logged
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 17th, 2013, 9:07am »

Is the fuel-loom 'crispy'?   I've had similar problems with my 2.3 before I repaired a section of the wiring-loom, and then again before I replaced it with a brand-new loom.   Just a thought.
Peter
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Matt

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 17th, 2013, 10:46am »

does it sound like its 'sucking' air in the engine bay. the 24v suffers from a bad designed vac system that uses brittle plastic connections.  

Also how does the coil pack look? if its rusty and bulging then the coils could be failing.

do you have a code reader?
IP Logged

Nightrider1

It's all good

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Apr 17th, 2013, 9:46pm »

How did you find the green flag service I had to use them once for my land rover 110 v8 as the LPG system was playing up  and it would not start     The guy turned up ask me three times if it was a diesel then phoned a friend who turned up they hooked it up to a starter pack turned it over and over and over and said is it a diesel again then out came the Easy Start.    What a bunch of monkeys  I will not use them again  after a wile I fixed it my self .
Are all the break down firms the same.
IP Logged
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Apr 17th, 2013, 10:02pm »

on Apr 17th, 2013, 9:46pm, Nightrider1 wrote:

Are all the break down firms the same.

Pretty much.  I only use them as a means to get me home if I break down, I don't expect them to fix anything.

In fact, when I popped the rad on my Scorp I specifically told the AA man I didn't want him to try and fix it - chewing up hose clips, tearing hoses, scratching bodywork etc - I just instructed him to tow me home.
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 18th, 2013, 8:54am »

on Apr 17th, 2013, 10:02pm, amigafan2003 wrote:

Pretty much.  I only use them as a means to get me home if I break down, I don't expect them to fix anything.

In fact, when I popped the rad on my Scorp I specifically told the AA man I didn't want him to try and fix it - chewing up hose clips, tearing hoses, scratching bodywork etc - I just instructed him to tow me home.

A few years ago I took some business men from this area to the Grosvenor House Hotel one evening.On the way down the M11 a large shackle pin or similar appeared from underneath a lorry in front of me,it bounced up and down then rattled along the bottom of the limo which was a Granada auto,we then started making a little smoke,the debris had knocked one of the auto cooler pipes against the bell housing making a small hole in it,thus depositing fluid onto the exhaust.
We got down to Park Lane OK,I then found a late night
spares shop,purchasing a junior hacksaw,small screwdriver,two hose clips and a piece of petrol pipe.As I was besuited,the Green Flag was summoned with a clear explanation of what was required of them.As I waited an AA man came out of the spares shop and asked me if he could do the job,I thanked him,saying that I really should wait for Green Flag.Twenty minutes later a recovery truck rolled up driven by an arrogant youth smelling of aftershave with a tidy haircut,he announced that he was taking the car back to Peterborough.When
told what was needed he said  "we don't do no repairs mate,anyway that's a high pressure pipe,it'll burst the rubber",I tried to enlighten him but he knew best.Just then his boss radioed and asked if he had located me,the driver told him of the situation,he replied "tell the bloke to make his mind up",I then got rather short tempered,and sent him on his way  Roll Eyes
The car was then jacked up at the offside front with the wheel changing jack,the wheel removed and pushed under the front crossmember in case the thing fell off.Next I removed my jacket,tie and shirt and did the job.
The Green Flag was written to in the strongest terms,their eventual reply was without apology and useless,saying that the recovery firm despatched did not do repairs,and that I should never have gone under the car in those circumstances  Roll Eyes,very helpful eh ?.
When their annual subscription was due,I declined 'gracefully'  Tongue
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Apr 18th, 2013, 11:24am »

on Apr 18th, 2013, 8:54am, gozz wrote:

When their annual subscription was due,I declined 'gracefully'  Tongue

I rather fancy that the "Gozz gracefully" may not coincide with the Oxford Dictionary definition!. Cheesy Grin
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
wolfblood

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 18th, 2013, 4:49pm »

Don't know if this will shed any more light on the problem. Just fitted a new fuel filter as this has been suggested by a number of contacts car started an ran lovely for about 3 minutes then started what seemed to be misfires then died. Have tried starting a few times but the car seems to be trying to start now but just not catching.
IP Logged
wolfblood

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Apr 18th, 2013, 11:33pm »

Thanks for the feedback all. A friend at work lent me a usb code reader. Just got to find software for it.  
Looms and packs look OK.
PATS looks to be acting normally.
No-one I have asked seems to be able to figure why it starts after being left for a while and then stops.
Now have to charge the battery before next steps.
I have been told to check the fuel pump relay and possible shorting it to test if the pump is working after ignition. Does anyone know which pins need shorting to test this?
IP Logged
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Apr 19th, 2013, 9:20am »

Hi Wolfblood.

Check Relay R 17: Fuel Injector Pump, in the Bty.side Fuse Box. There may be somebody in your area that could do a tempory swap of this relay.

In no way am I an Auto Electrician however 13 years ago I owened a Vauxhall Carlton Estate (loved that car) which started playing up like your car. Changing the Fuel Relay cured the problem.

Mike
p.s. Rust killed that car. Cry
IP Logged
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Apr 19th, 2013, 10:30am »

I wonder if there's water in your petrol?   Just a thought!
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
pedropedro

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Apr 19th, 2013, 11:34am »

Dont know if 24v uses same edis unit as 2.3;mine did exactly as above and wiring from connector of edis was caput...just under water header tank...worth moving those wires to see if any change in behaviour
IP Logged
wolfblood

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Apr 20th, 2013, 9:22am »

Just run it for about 7 minutes before it cut out. Jiggling various wires. There does seem to be a sound like air movement from the back of the engine uk  
drivers side.
IP Logged
wolfblood

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: Apr 20th, 2013, 10:00am »

Further update I have found a small pool of what looks and feels like an oil in the bottom of the air filter box.
Cheers
IP Logged
wolfblood

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Apr 20th, 2013, 10:40am »

Another update. When I turn key to the on position there is a rapid ticking sound coming form the engine. Not loud and can only hear it when everything else is quiet and I am over the engine.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.